Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Silver
I watched the show last night, and found it quite interesting.

The reaction to Patrick's departure was way OTT - my wife was only half watching it and when she looked up and saw people crying, she actually asked me if someone had died. Jodie is not cut out for a customer facing job - not because of her accent, but because she seemed unable to learn the most basic of tasks (I know some say that is perhaps an unfair portrayal of her, but the number of warnings she got suggests otherwise). I fully expect she'll get through - it'll be this show's equivalent to X Factors "my granny has just died" fight against all odds.

I too found the aircraft casualty hanger and subsequent impact to scheduling the most interesting part of the show, especially how they juggled the aircraft between routes as repairs were delayed. The whole "we can't have scratches" thing was an insult to anyone who has to put up with the interior state of so many BA aircraft and was disingenuous to the extreme.

The show did nothing to dispel the myths about male crew all being extremely camp and female ones having make-up applied by trowels, and although the important of safety came through, that was not as much as the need to look the part did.

Finally, BA Mods needs to start using Snapshots to give people warnings on this board. A kind of online ASBO.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store next week.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by LadyB
Made me wonder how two or three crew who were on both inbound & outbound LGW - BGI last month actually passed this course.

One CC, who looked a bit like Jodie, gave me a stern look when I ventured to the Club kitchen for a top up and told me very firmly 'it's self serve', the same CC who gave me champagne when I requested Chablis....
I agree, as I have mentioned before, on one F flight (GND-LGW) I asked for a glass of Merlot and the CC response was "is that red or white"!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:43 am

Watched it yesterday on iPlayer.

How on earth Jodie made it so far?
Was she picked for the purpose of the show?
I've seen few episodes of the Dubai Airport series.
Had the impression that the FAs for Emirates were carefully selected.
After watching the role–play with french pax I had a feeling this wasn't the case with BA...

Originally Posted by Paralytic

I too found the aircraft casualty hanger and subsequent impact to scheduling the most interesting part of the show, especially how they juggled the aircraft between routes as repairs were delayed. The whole "we can't have scratches" thing was an insult to anyone who has to put up with the interior state of so many BA aircraft and was disingenuous to the extreme.
+1
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
I too found the aircraft casualty hanger and subsequent impact to scheduling the most interesting part of the show, especially how they juggled the aircraft between routes as repairs were delayed.
Completely agree

The whole "we can't have scratches" thing was an insult to anyone who has to put up with the interior state of so many BA aircraft and was disingenuous to the extreme.
Agreed!! This is by far the most important point - what a load of pony.

Finally, BA Mods needs to start using Snapshots to give people warnings on this board. A kind of online ASBO.
We wish!!!!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by simonrp84
Wow,I never knew that someone actually reads the Daily Mails that BA insist on stocking!
I definitely don't read the "Hate" Mail.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:35 am

The whole "we can't have scratches" thing was an insult to anyone who has to put up with the interior state of so many BA aircraft and was disingenuous to the extreme.
Just stick a bit of Duct tape over it. That usually does the trick.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG

The show did nothing to dispel the myths about male crew all being extremely camp and female ones having make-up applied by trowels, and although the important of safety came through, that was not as much as the need to look the part did.
I thought the exact same thing. I went to uni with a guy who became a FA, to this day I'm still convinced he's the only male FA who isn't extremely camp. When I heard what he was doing for a living I was genuinely surprised.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:56 am

I was surprised they didn't demo the F seat more in that episode. Instead of harping on about scratches why didn't they actually show people what the seat looks like in lie flat mode!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by 0hnoes
I was surprised they didn't demo the F seat more in that episode. Instead of harping on about scratches why didn't they actually show people what the seat looks like in lie flat mode!
It was probably broken. But, at least no scratches were visible.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FIRSTclstraveller
I agree, as I have mentioned before, on one F flight (GND-LGW) I asked for a glass of Merlot and the CC response was "is that red or white"!
I'm a little embarrassed for you as you can get white and red merlot

Just a thought
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Originally Posted by 0hnoes
I could be wrong but I'd imagine that there are restrictions of what they can show to the public before it becomes advertising. Showing the seat and functions to that degree could be prohibited by ASA.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by joe19924
I could be wrong but I'd imagine that there are restrictions of what they can show to the public before it becomes advertising. Showing the seat and functions to that degree could be prohibited by ASA.
Really? The whole show was effectively an advert for BA.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:32 am

Agreed. And also not.

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
"let's contract with each other" sums up everything wrong with Britain today.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who died a little bit on hearing that.

That said, I can't agree with the hating on Jodi. She's not flawless, but that's what training is for, after all. Let's give the kid a chance, shall we? I hope she makes it.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: BA, VS, SU
Really? The whole show was effectively an advert for BA.
Publicity, yeah. Not sure about an advert. It's carefully edited. I don't think they'd have been allowed to include things like "BA sale now on, just 599 return to JFK" or whatever. Sure, they showed the logos and talked about their high standards and service, but it wasn't actually advertising and I suspect that that could be for legal reasons.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
That said, I can't agree with the hating on Jodi. She's not flawless, but that's what training is for, after all. Let's give the kid a chance, shall we? I hope she makes it.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.