Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
iv) opportunity to marry an airline executive or captain.
Seriously?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:30 am

A gentle reminder to all, please be civil and play nice. @:-)^

As a side note; in the early part of the CCR sequence one of BA's best is visible. He is with Special Services and has saved me in the past. :-:
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've been in F twice with the passenger trying the tasting menu, Dr Peter Walker. Chatted to him. He's a nice guy. Has Premier status.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
My reasoning is that a cabin crew job involves a huge amount of multitasking and tremendous interpersonal skills, which ladies tend to be better at than gentlemen (who in their turn might prefer a more linear option).
That is a rather different argument from the earlier point you made about the opportunity to marry an airline executive or captain!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by paulwuk
A snapshot thread too.

I couldn't give a stuff if a cabin crew member had ladders in her (or his) tights, I'm far more concerned with

Captains leaving the engine bonnet open
Captains driving in to buildings
Cabin crew laughing while serving blind people
being addressed as "you guys"
The "you guys" thing drives me mad, especially when our party is male/female. it's not only a sloppy Americanism, it's also gender incorrect.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by at240
That is a rather different argument from the earlier point you made about the opportunity to marry an airline executive or captain!
Logically speaking, working for an airline is likely to give you more of an opportunity to marry a captain / airline exec than not working for an airline regardless of gender or sexual preference.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SukiB
The "you guys" thing drives me mad, especially when our party is male/female. it's not only a sloppy Americanism, it's also gender incorrect.
I am not so sure it has a strong gender connotation anymore. Even the OED admits this in their 2011 revision.
colloq. As a form of address to a man (cf. sense 3d). Also in pl. as a form of address to a group of people, in later use sometimes a mixed or all-female group.
(Subscription required.)

Certainly, I would not use this in a professional context.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
I am not so sure it has a strong gender connotation anymore. Even the OED admits this in their 2011 revision.

(Subscription required.)

Maybe I'm just old
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by brightstar100
I've been in F twice with the passenger trying the tasting menu, Dr Peter Walker. Chatted to him. He's a nice guy. Has Premier status.
+1 Very Very Nice Guy! Posh But a Real Gentleman and yes he is indeed BA Premier.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Calchas

(Subscription required.)

Nearly as bad as being called team
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Now if you want to see why BA are very happy with this series - and indeed they have been promoting the A380 on their website as "the star of the show", then perhaps consider yesterday's Irish Times. I haven't seen many reviews, but at least this one is detached from national sentimentality.

For starters there was a very prominent, reasonably large, full colour, sharp definition photo of our (well, possibly your) new pin up girl, which dominated the review page:

Then the review itself was balanced:

Originally Posted by Berenice Harrison, The Irish Times
We briefly meet BA’s Irish chief executive, Willie Walsh, and spend more time with its Dutch branding and customer-experience boss, Frank van der Post. But this show is too torn between pleasing human-interest fans (the training-course colour) and plane spotters (technical minutiae about the new Airbus) to make a really satisfactory film.

There are two more parts to A Very British Airline, and I can’t image what they’ll fill them with. Either the airline business isn’t as vibrant and full of fascinating people as you might imagine or, as seems more likely, British Airways hasn’t become one of the most famous brands in the world without being able to make sure that, no matter how behind-the-scenes it seems, any film about it stays on corporate message.
But in terms of middle class Dubliners, looking for their next US trip, it must have at least sowed the idea of trying BA next time.

Full story here.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
And of course the editors are manipulating the emotional response of viewers. They've carefully selected the clips we see to define the character they want us to see: a gauche, gaff-prone girl from a disadvantaged background to contrast with her polished, posh-bird colleagues. She's probably garnered tons of sympathy from the general audience.

My guess is they are setting us up for a heart-warming "success in the face of adversity" story-line
Hmm...I think giggling while serving a visually-impaired passenger and responding to a French speaker in gibberish suggest something more serious than 'gauche'. Yes, this was training, she was being filmed, other trainees were present, she's only young, etc, but she's presumably (although not necessarily) had at least eleven years of schooling, in which citizenship and equality are writ large. I'm not convinced that a few weeks of maquillage classes and a rudimentary first aid lesson will address what seems to be a fairly ingrained and immature discriminatory attitude.
To further the point about editing: is it possible that this person was selected for MF training simply because they knew she would 'make good telly'?...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Quote:

Originally Posted by SukiB

Should we start a scratch thread?

A snapshot thread too.

I couldn't give a stuff if a cabin crew member had ladders in her (or his) tights, I'm far more concerned with

Captains leaving the engine bonnet open
Captains driving in to buildings
Cabin crew laughing while serving blind people
being addressed as "you guys"
The funniest thing is still Jodie speaking English with a French accent to the French pax!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedbird876

Must cabin crew's long hair be put in a bun?

No, but it has to be tied back and must not hang below the bottom edge of your shirt collar.
Because young girls often have long hair, it means there are lots of buns on M/F because it is the easiest style to adopt when you have long hair.
My wife has tried to explain to me how those bagel buns are made but I still don't understand.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ABZGirl
Hmm...I think giggling while serving a visually-impaired passenger and responding to a French speaker in gibberish suggest something more serious than 'gauche'. Yes, this was training, she was being filmed, other trainees were present, she's only young, etc, but she's presumably (although not necessarily) had at least eleven years of schooling, in which citizenship and equality are writ large. I'm not convinced that a few weeks of maquillage classes and a rudimentary first aid lesson will address what seems to be a fairly ingrained and immature discriminatory attitude.
To further the point about editing: is it possible that this person was selected for MF training simply because they knew she would 'make good telly'?...
The passenger wasnt visually impaired - it was a friend pretending to be. The way she responded to the French was also blatantly obviously a joke, not a "discriminatory anti-equality" attitude. You are being utterly ridiculous, "fairly ingrained" on the basis of those two incidents!?

Role play with friends can be awkward and funny. I take it you dont remember what its like to be a normal young person? The French was immature (though again, a joke that everyone there found funny) and I have no idea what possessed her to do that in an environment where you can be disciplined for having a ladder in your tights, but there was no malice there whatsoever. You just seem to have a chip on your shoulder about people like her as BOH seems to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.