Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
The whole premium thing seemed laughable. With all the comments of the number of million/billionaires in NYC and China, they seemed to be intimating that BA is all about wealthy individuals paying $10k single JFK-LHR in F, or $9k LHR-LAX in CW, rather than the airline offering a decent business product, overwhelmingly filled with for people travelling for work or making use of a good FF programme. Does this mean BA doesn’t really want my business?

Looking around a CW cabin, you’d hardly call it posh or full of people who are always used to getting their own way. Yes, of course some will be wealthier/have more senior jobs than others, but it’s not exactly full of the aristocrats that would have travelled first class on ocean liners 100 years ago.

I like CW – I find it a comfortable and relaxing way to fly. On board I don’t find it luxurious or pretentious, and I think the programme/management chat is doing the product a disservice.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I can't see that anybody else has posted about uniform standards.
The NYC ground team, with the exception of the manager, all looked so -so to me.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have the sensation that the "Premium" aspect they went on about so much doesn't apply to older people flying for leisure in CW. I can only think of a couple of occasions where CC actually made me feel "premium".

As to dress standards, I feel quite sure that the requirements for "delegates" are at the top end of the scale.

Slightly better than last week's programme, but still somewhat disappointing. The fawning focus on F and CW pax must have irritated many of the general public who could never aspire to flying in those seats.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Dr Peter Walker and Guest - what a pair of cocks !
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jenzo
Loads of people say it like that and i see nothing wrong with it. But if you are offering someone one saying full fat it could be received as a insult etc and the Person may feel guilty.
Also if I was to offer a 'full fat coke' to any of my foreign friends, I'd certainly be met with a blank stare.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by gordies

The programme needs to be retitled as 'How to lose customers and pi** people off'.
BA doesn't need a TV programme to do that; they are quite capable, on a daily basis, of achieving what you describe.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
I'm beginning to think that if some of you who were so upset about the programme don't fly BA any more then maybe there will be more redemption seats for the rest of us ...

Anyway, back on topic: a far better episode last night than week one, mainly because it was operation focussed. The CTU route launch was interesting (shame they didn't get into the nitty gritty of the choice, the issues faced, etc); the JFK story was also interesting - again, a shame they didn't touch more on the issues of proactive cancellation, diverts and how they sort them, issues over the lounges.

A shame too that the whole issue of China/Far East vis-a-vis AY, AF, LH wasn't touched on. But in reality, a much better episode.

Also: Seems everyone thinks they are an HR professional, based on the comments above ... but as a paying pax, I'd rather have someone like Alice serve me, than someone like Jodi. Why? Well based on the snapshot (no, no pun intended) of what we saw of them, I just liked Alice more - maybe that's because of her attitude, or how she looked, or how she behaved. I'm not sure - it's Unconcious Bias we all have, which makes us favour something over another thing.

As far as I know ORD, BOS & ZRH aren't MF routes, so I won't have the pleasure of seeing any of these recruits in the near future.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
On the lateness. At the beginning of the course, all candidates were told that punctuality was non-negotiable. The trainees have the responsibility to be where they need to be when they need to be there. I am fed up of meeting and working with people who bleat about things (they have messed up) not being their fault and accepting no responsibility for their actions or blaming somebosy or something else.

On the how long to leave... long enough is the answer. I left home at 4am this morning to arrive at the office at 6am to make sure I was in time for a 9am meeting. That is taking responsibility Jodi.

On the premium language, explaining enhancements away in a premium way makes it easier to accept that I cannot have my first choice meal or wine...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
As for the training being silly or patronising, the end product (for the overwhelming majority of the time) suggests that the training is impactful and means that the service we receive is head and shoulders above the competitors.

They must be doing something right.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
There is a difference Harry Holden 68 between things you have control of and things you don't .
If people are always late, tardy, not up to the job then fine....

Whilst I have never missed a flight (or a tide!) things happen. Getting up a sparrows for no good reason, being ridiculously early when there is no call for it will have a knock on effect on your health. 4am is called the death hour for good reason.....
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
On the lateness. At the beginning of the course, all candidates were told that punctuality was non-negotiable. The trainees have the responsibility to be where they need to be when they need to be there. I am fed up of meeting and working with people who bleat about things (they have messed up) not being their fault and accepting no responsibility for their actions or blaming somebosy or something else.

On the how long to leave... long enough is the answer. I left home at 4am this morning to arrive at the office at 6am to make sure I was in time for a 9am meeting. That is taking responsibility Jodi.

On the premium language, explaining enhancements away in a premium way makes it easier to accept that I cannot have my first choice meal or wine...
I think people have to be reasonable and if you are stuck behind a pile up on the M25 - that is no ones fault and it called life! Giving someone a snap shot for that just shows bad management skills - the whole feeling of this programme to me is pay peanuts get monkeys...........
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
There is a difference Harry Holden 68 between things you have control of and things you don't .
If people are always late, tardy, not up to the job then fine....

Whilst I have never missed a flight (or a tide!) things happen. Getting up a sparrows for no good reason, being ridiculously early when there is no call for it will have a knock on effect on your health. 4am is called the death hour for good reason.....
I completely agree with you - 3 x 4am starts on the bounce makes me feel like death ! and yes that lateness thing I agree as well. I was cringing when that trainer was like holding the girls hand she was just about to tell - where do they get these people??
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Just finished watching the second episode.

The training aspect is just silly. As for Jodie, she was sacked for a reason and I'm glad to see her go. Not to mention she didn't take her job seriously. Forgot her cover in the car? Didn't put on much lipstick?

I really liked the operation side. I wish they'd concentrate more on that then the drama that is the training course. Glad to see the girl that likes plane spotting achieve her goal.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68

I agree that punctuality is very important

but arriving at your office 3 hours before a meeting an odd time may be ok but doing this on a regular basis will seriously put at risk the health of your mind and body

sometimes things happen in life which are totally outwith our control
everyone knows this and everyone has to accept this
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The hamburger is!
The JFK CCR hamburger was enhanced some years ago!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.