Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
But they didn't say they only hire the top 1% or .1%

If I recall the numbers they said something like they get 10,000 applications a year of which they interviewed a lesser number and of that offered places to something like 100 of which we saw a cohort of ~10 in one training programme.
They will be offering more than 100 places a year to meet Mixed Fleets planned growth and to meet attrition factors (both planned and actual - staff Turnover is expected to be reasonably high in the MF Model).
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:39 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by f0xx
She forgot her stuff in her car.
She didn't appear to abide by their strict grooming standards.
She also didn't appear to take things seriously. (i.e. laughing in mock training scenarios.)

Why should BA give her a chance? Especially when she clearly demonstrated she couldn't handle the simple tasks at hand.
Agreed. I could quite easily imagine her having an "attitude" too although to be fair if she does, she did supress it fairly well on screen, and fair play to her, she did have the bottle to agree to be filmed.

I thought it was interesting that the wine appreciation course clearly hadn't been taken by some of their colleagues in the first episode who were discussing pinot grease.

One final point, the long standing JFK manager was going on about how seriously he was taking his job etc, picking up scuff marks and whatnot. I wonder if he's taken a look at the general shoddy appearance of T7 particularly landside? It's really very miserable, it needs a serious update. It looks like it still harbours the tobacco stained walls of yesteryear.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Howard Long
One final point, the long standing JFK manager was going on about how seriously he was taking his job etc, picking up scuff marks and whatnot. I wonder if he's taken a look at the general shoddy appearance of T7 particularly landside? It's really very miserable, it needs a serious update. It looks like it still harbours the tobacco stained walls of yesteryear.
He's probably too busy having Concorde Room Vegetarian Risotto
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:01 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Banana4321
This is a very good point.

I used to be involved in a Championship football club. One of our rules used to be "if you are going to be late (for training/match) then let us know. Do not speed or put your safety or anyone else's safety in danger. Being safe is more important than being late". If there was a problem was a particular player then it got sorted out on the sidelines - as it were. To sack someone for an incident on the motorway where they could have driven at 150mph and made the cut-off is negligent of the employer
I agree totally - if they had fired her for that alone. I also agree that it was very harsh. Too harsh for a warning. But she wasn't fired for it.

This happened to be the fourth and final issue of four. If she had for example had as her fourth "card" failure to put her lippy on when reminded then arguaby we would be saying she was fired for not putting her lippy on and then perhaps we'd be arguing about whether this signifies in a trivial way her inability to respond to instructions which in BAs mind might manifest itself as potentially risky in a safety situation.

She wasn't fired for being late. She was fired for having four warnings.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Jodi wasn't fired for that alone, I think that is fairly obvious, to any fule.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:16 am

Wow, some mean posts in this thread. We're all human after all @:-)

On another note, in episode 1 around the 52 minute mark they feature a gentleman in F on the A380 inaugural to LAX, who they claim fly over 300 days a year. Having had the pleasure of spending a few days with this gentleman during a delivery flight, he does indeed fly such amounts that our own c-w-s looks like a novice
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Petrus
Wow, some mean posts in this thread. We're all human after all @:-)
Totally agree. Some of this is not a nice advert for the FT BAEC board. These weren't people self-promoting on 'Big Brother', they were just trying to make a go of their lives and happened to have a TV crew following them. Maybe we need a bit of perspective.

Originally Posted by Petrus

On another note, in episode 1 around the 52 minute mark they feature a gentleman in F on the A380 inaugural to LAX, who they claim fly over 300 days a year. Having had the pleasure of spending a few days with this gentleman during a delivery flight, he does indeed fly such amounts that our own c-w-s looks like a novice
Interesting. I wondered if anyone would mention this chap- I take it the man they referred to was the older of the gentlemen, sitting in the 'buddy' seat?

Last edited by crazy8534; Jun 11, 2014 at 5:54 am
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Cumbrian
This was shocking to watch. I switched off in disgust.

What did BA expect her to do? The implication is that BA condones speeding to make up time if you're delayed. What other corners does this airline cut?

I am seriously worried tonight about BA's attitude to safety.
As others have pointed out she didn't get kicked out for this alone. I think four major errors in a 6 week period is a fair approach to training.

To play devils advocate, she could have checked traffic prior to leaving to get to work. The issue appeared to be a lorry fire on the M25, which any traffic app would tell you. Personally speaking, I give the M25 far longer than is ever necessary, when forced to use it due to it's unreliable nature.

The real life situation is being late at an outstation, potentially resulting in a delay to a flight which would have significant implications to passengers and the airline.

I wouldn't say BA condones speeding, I'm more inclined to say that BA doesn't (cannot) tolerate lateness. Half of the impact here is the girl losing her place on the course, half of the impact is the the other trainees see first hand what a hardline BA take on time keeping and will ensure themselves not to be late in the future.

The bottomline here is that BA publish their list of no-nos to their recruits, and are clear they they will be sticking to it no matter what. I wouldn't be surprised if receiving a speeding ticket getting to work also carries a 'snapshot'.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by zkzkz
This is poppycock. From the numbers given in the program it doesn't sound very selective at all. Everybody loves to tout how they're super selective and only hire the top 1% or top 0.1% or whatever.

What they're not understanding is this, what do the other 99% go on to do? They take more interviews. The 1% they take stop interviewing but the other 99% keep interviewing and interviewing with more and more employers. In other words the people showing up at your door are far from an unbiased sample.

It doesn't take a large group of people going around being rejected everywhere to make everyone appear super selective. So you can be hiring only the top 1% of the applicants you see but that could translate into accepting anyone in the top 60% of potential employees or worse.

Joel explained it better than I did long ago: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2005/01/27.html
I have worked in BA selection and I speak as someone who knows the process.

Thousands annually don't even get an interview and out of those that do get interviewed only about 10%-20% are successful during the selection process, it varies from day to day as obviously candidates vary from day to day.

Because the educational and experience requirements requested are in the lower regions, we receive an incredible number of applications initially and they come in from all over the world due the the magic of the Internet these are screened and then those successful at that stage are interviewed.

The interview is an all day interview and it looks at someone's attitude towards customer service, requiring real examples, how they work in a team and some actual role play etc. etc.

You can believe me or not, others can also make that judgement.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:25 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I have worked in BA selection and I speak as someone who knows the process.

You can believe me or not, others can also make that judgement.
Of course!

Equally, it is important to set clear and non-judgemental parameters for the instructors so that they are never subsequently accused of being either inconsistent or showing favouritism. That was clearly (to me at least) the reasons why instructors were told to see issues as binary and why recruits were allowed 4 potential breaches and not one. Some are luckier than others in that they are stopped for 4 serious breaches others less lucky with what seems like 4 trivial breaches. The issue is 4 breaches and that instructors have no latitude. Everyone knows the rules at the outset.

I think BA have it right, and so far from the two programmes so far I see no evidence that their decisions have meant generally losing people they really shouldn't have lost.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Did anybody else react on the lamb racks served on BA001 (or was it 003?)? Since when did they start plating the food individually? Never seen food served on BA look that good, as most of the times the meals they heat up end up looking like a dog's dinner.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GGL

Last edited by c1223; Jun 11, 2014 at 4:44 pm Reason: smaller img
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LH4116
Did anybody else react on the lamb racks served on BA001 (or was it 003?)? Since when did they start plating the food individually? Never seen food served on BA look that good, as most of the times the meals they heat up end up looking like a dog's dinner.
Looked like that when I was on BA1 last month. Surprisingly, even though my lamb was overcooked it was still tender ^

H
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
2 things from programme 2.

Already on 3 snapshots, and forgets uniform, then has ignored instructions 3 times. Jodie was odds on to go.
Thought the comment about if it was clear was telling

More importantly, the graduate who can't pronounce "Th"?
The word is "through", not "frew", sir.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
I think Jodi would have made great crew, but I guess that's pretty fruitless to discuss. I'm sure the decision was not taken lightly, particularly considering the training course happened under the watchful eyes of a TV crew who would probably have jumped at the chance to document an unfair dismissal. That whole "lipstick" thing is not the whole story.

Still, I'm very disappointed at the underlying sentiment of "she's not middle-class WASP enough" that comes through in so many postings on here.

On a brighter note, nice to see some BA staff I've actually run into before. And for some reason I'm now craving duck tongue...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.