Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'A Very British Airline' : BA Documentary, airs BBC2 from Mon 2 June

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
I have no idea what possessed her to do that in an environment where you can be disciplined for having a ladder in your tights
I bet it was 100% clear to the people present when they're being evaluated and when they're being filmed and the two hardly ever overlap. The whole scene was probably staged for the camera after the actual evaluations had been finished. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a producer had instructed her to do exactly what she did.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ABZGirl
she's presumably ... had at least eleven years of schooling, in which citizenship and equality are writ large
I don't recall ever covering citizenship or equality at school! I did however do a lot of British and American history so you will be hard pushed to find anybody attaching higher importance to being able to do exactly what you want provided that it does not prevent somebody else from doing the same (which I assume is the core insight of citizenship and equality classes) than me!

Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Wow...what a load of tosh. Did BA sponsor the show for another airline as most of what was broadcast is not representative of the BA I fly on.

The girl running round in charge of the A380 cabin. Checking for scratches in a cabin that is so unimaginative she thinks somehow the suit carrying space in First is a differentiator. Maybe if she paid a bit more attention to the battered aircraft in the rest of the fleet a few of us might part with more money to fly above Y.

The poor recruits getting"snapshots" (what a f ing dumb name) for minor details that are forgotten by mainstream crew as soon as they pass out. Pointless, militaristic way of going through training. Much better to engender a sense of teamwork and "everyone in it together" (one fails all fail) such that it carries forward on the aircraft and hopefully lessens the few bad apples that can give the entire crew a bad name.

Factual error in that there are no more slots so only solution is to fly bigger planes (lol). Maybe a few more runways or fast connections between major airports would help.

In truth, I'd rather be served by someone who wants to be there, is trying their best, being genuine, gives me a smile because they are happy that I am happy and that they are representing the airline as best they can. Give me a (half) comfortable seat, even in Y, some reasonable food, IFE you can see the screen on (even in Y), punctual arrival/departure (where possible) and the rest will take care of itself because you'll have happy pax. The alternative is what we see which is to be taught how to behave, how to respond to miserable customers getting miserable service in planes that are falling apart.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, Avis President's Club
Just about to check XLEF for scratches now on the way back from HKG... Already panicking about the prospect!!!

Arghhhhh, i've forgotten my safety specs... Will have to delay!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: ABBA
Saw XLEC while taxiing today. Looked like the mascara around the windows had run - gave the impression it was a very sad airline.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
The funniest thing is still Jodie speaking English with a French accent to the French pax!
Good moaning, I was pissing by the oarpart today.

Perfectly acceptable to tear the French like that, they should learn a global language like English, Arabic or Welsh.

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I bet it was 100% clear to the people present when they're being evaluated and when they're being filmed and the two hardly ever overlap. The whole scene was probably staged for the camera after the actual evaluations had been finished. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a producer had instructed her to do exactly what she did.
I suspect that's the case, given the firing of (Patrick?) who we didn't see having any issues.

Remember, the camera always lies. Or so says a friend of mine who's a professional cameraman.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BalbC
Not sure why this is so surprising to everyone. She was talking about doing the acceptance check before delivery. No doubt they want a perfect looking and functioning aircraft before paying out and then checking that all the snags were sorted before the press are let on the first flight. Presumably, later when they have have to pay to repair damage and possibly take it out of service, she gets less picky.
That's not the impression I got. And I'm sure she said that they do this between each flight, because the premium pax are so detail obsessed.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ABZGirl
Hmm...I think giggling while serving a visually-impaired passenger and responding to a French speaker in gibberish suggest something more serious than 'gauche'. Yes, this was training, she was being filmed, other trainees were present, she's only young, etc, but she's presumably (although not necessarily) had at least eleven years of schooling, in which citizenship and equality are writ large. I'm not convinced that a few weeks of maquillage classes and a rudimentary first aid lesson will address what seems to be a fairly ingrained and immature discriminatory attitude.
To further the point about editing: is it possible that this person was selected for MF training simply because they knew she would 'make good telly'?...
She certainly came across as stupid at best, and I don't understand why BA let that section be broadcast...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:33 pm

It's a shame that snobbery rears it's ugly head once again on the BA board. Has she risen above her station? Does she not know her place? Maybe she should only be allowed to serve in Y.

Yes I am taking about Jodi who seems much more passionate about passing then any of the others and I for one know who I would want serving on board.

Shame on you.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kitbag1984
It's a shame that snobbery rears it's ugly head once again on the BA board. Has she risen above her station? Does she not know her place? Maybe she should only be allowed to serve in Y.

Yes I am taking about Jodi who seems much more passionate about passing then any of the others and I for one know who I would want serving on board.

Shame on you.
+1, would rather have a motivated Jodi trying her best then some robot. Re the French part....shame on the training person. It just disgusts me the way they belittle her and make her feel small.

What should have happened.... Meets a French speaking person....Jodi has no idea...so you stop it there an then, have a laugh and just say... You handle this situation by saying "I don't speak French, let me find someone who does". Even if you don't speak a language most of us can figure out when the other side is trying to say they don't understand and would also work out (if you then walk away) that you have probably gone to find someone to help (and as long as you come back then it's no problem)

Lets see what the other episodes throw up because, from what I can see so far, it's very evident what's causing BA's slide down the league table of airlines.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitbag1984

Shame on you.
The same could be said of the bloke who left. Yes the bloke who gave up his job and moved to work for BA. Then turned up late for training. He was passionate to pass and he didn't pass. I mean who thinks its okay to turn up late at airports. I did think he was a little silly not knowing the seats on a 747, he really should have been on here and found the best seats to sit.

Also I was a little shocked they didn't seem to know the price of a ticket at the front. With the internet, they should have researched.

However with Jodi, when you pay for a family to travel long haul, you expect professionalism. If you took your car for a service and they behaved like she did, you would go elsewhere. If you went to a shop you would walk out.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I personally prefer a more relaxed crew.
Being stiff mannered or having to display a forced persona does nothing for me.
This also tends to make my persona change. The crew and cabin cause myself to adopt traits that I would expect to be becoming (or is it befitting?) of that cabin.

Southwest in my opinion are great crew wise. They come across as professional but at the same time make you feel relaxed as they are down to earth and this makes for a better flying experience.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Quite looking forward to tonight's installment- bit about JFK, new route to china, and what ever will become of poor Jodi, already on 3 'snapshots'?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Quite looking forward to tonight's installment- bit about JFK, new route to china, and what ever will become of poor Jodi, already on 3 'snapshots'?
Chengdu: May contain extreme Panda action.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by londonbus
Chengdu: May contain extreme Panda action.
Panda-monium.
^
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Little upset Chengdu is so accessible now! Was very off the beaten track when I had my intimate panda experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.