Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
+1 - agree with porcius - watch your upgrade offers closely - it may make sense to buy up if they give you a decent offer - that's a tough route for anyone - even GS - to get two seats on....
+1 - I've only had one PS segment clear UG this year and that was back in January. Since then, zilch, and I've tried both with RPUs and miles + $. I've only tried on 757s. The 777 service LAX-EWR-LAX is not at good times for me.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This might be a useless data point for OP. I got two pax cleared on 8:25 am SFO-EWR 757 ps flight today, as 1Ks. I got it within T-24. No emails from United.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k
flew ewr-sfo on 777 in GF earlier this week. Had booked TPA-SFO, via EWR in first for ≈$600. Economy ticket was somewhere near $450, so figured it was worth the extra to just go first. Really great flight all around - digging the improvements they're making up front.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by nottarockstar
Really great flight all around - digging the improvements they're making up front.
Nice. To what improvements do you refer specifically?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I have gotten upgraded 4 times from waitlist. I paid with miles and money but typically these upgraded rarely come through, so I am wondering if the load factor is lightening up on some of the flights. There are, after all, 16 flights a day from EWR to SFO
Old Jun 2, 2016, 12:21 pm

Managed to snag advance confirmed R space for flights in July and September in the last couple weeks. Afternoon / early evening departures, not redeyes or the 9pm westbound that often have more space.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 1:39 pm

Just some random anecdotes...

On a recent EWR-LAX on a 757, BusinessFirst amenity kits were handed out instead of the slimmed-down PS ones.

On the return on a 777, there was some sort of catering mishap. The crew only had about 4 menus and had to loan them out to pairs of passengers. There were no hot towels or placemats, and raspberry sorbet was served for dessert instead of the expected vanilla gelato (along with the standard toppings, which I declined). Great crew who did the best with what they had, though.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
when they run the 777 on PS flights do they have the PS menu?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jasonp622
when they run the 777 on PS flights do they have the PS menu?
They're supposed to. There have been reported catering mishaps, like on my flight where the individual bottled water was not boarded.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Perhaps there's something going on at EWR. I was on a p.s. flight from EWR to SFO earlier this week in 5B, right at the galley and boarding door. The FA was expressing exasperation with the catering crew because she didn't have everything she needed (amenity kits, lav cleaning kit, one other thing I can't remember). It took multiple requests and trips in order for her to get everything she needed.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
When looking for international business-class saver award seats, one has to get creative. I managed to get my wife and myself saver business seats from Denver to Vienna for September (starting Labor Day weekend). I'm flying to LAX on Friday night (late), connecting to the 7 AM P.S. flight (777) to EWR, and then on from there. Looking now for ANY P.S. business award seats, I can see that they're extremely rare. I'm really looking forward to having the lie-flat seats after spending the night in the airport. At least the club opens at 4:30AM and we can go in and get a little breakfast before boarding.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Took the 777 SFO-EWR flight the other day. The boarding area was a complete mess, with Group 1 stretching down the hallway past the neighboring gate. Luckily I stood early in line (re: gate louse) ... or so I thought. The GA had the nerve to say that due to 'catering issues' those in first class rows [sic] should not board and that boarding can start with those in rows 19+. That caused a bunch of Group 1 people to move around creating a Group 0.9 line. A few minutes later we started boarding, basically merging Groups 1 and 0.9.

They did have the p.s. food menu, bottled water, and the silver tin box amenity kit.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
They're supposed to. There have been reported catering mishaps, like on my flight where the individual bottled water was not boarded.
Ah, forgot about that. Bottled water was also lacking on the 777 flight I mentioned. With the exception of the dessert, PS/Trotter project food was served.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by miasmal
Took the 777 SFO-EWR flight the other day. The boarding area was a complete mess, with Group 1 stretching down the hallway past the neighboring gate. Luckily I stood early in line (re: gate louse) ... or so I thought. The GA had the nerve to say that due to 'catering issues' those in first class rows [sic] should not board and that boarding can start with those in rows 19+. That caused a bunch of Group 1 people to move around creating a Group 0.9 line. A few minutes later we started boarding, basically merging Groups 1 and 0.9.

They did have the p.s. food menu, bottled water, and the silver tin box amenity kit.
I just booked another PS R/t for late June from EWR to SFO and avoided the 777 for reasons like this. While there should be no issue boarding a 777 from EWR, there certainly are plenty of 777s there, the modified services presents too many issues. I'm sure Group 1 is already ridiculous enough on the 757, no reason to go for broke with a 777.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by ani90
Nice. To what improvements do you refer specifically?
most noticed was the food. much better than previous PS & other businessfirst flights. Also, maybe its coincidence, but I feel like my flights in first in the last 3 months have had great service; smiles, refills & extremely pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.