Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
flying with wife EWR-SFO on S class fare on a 777 in the next week. I've used 2 RPUs and there currently seems to be 10 seats available in BF. What are the chances of an upgrade. It is my first time attempting to use an RPU.

I'm premier platinum.
Thanks for all replies.

UPdate/

My PS flight is tomorrow. I'm position 7 on the upgrade list with RPU and there is 1 business seat left. When there was a few seats left they were offering the upgrade at $419. The one seat left is $2139 upgrade
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by rmannion
On the return on a 777, there was some sort of catering mishap. The crew only had about 4 menus and had to loan them out to pairs of passengers. There were no hot towels or placemats, and raspberry sorbet was served for dessert instead of the expected vanilla gelato (along with the standard toppings, which I declined). Great crew who did the best with what they had, though.
I had this issue too on an LAX-EWR flight last week. I got some lemon sorbet with chocolate sauce. Nasty. I think the FA was trying to tell/warn me though, but I was watching a movie and not really listening and just said the toppings out of habit. Also had the "share a menu" plan going on. Flight crew and service were great though. So the catering issues are not just ex-EWR.

I took a D1 flight back from JFK, and have to say, catering mishaps and lounges aside, I think UA might just be serving up a slightly better product these days.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I had this issue too on an LAX-EWR flight last week. I got some lemon sorbet with chocolate sauce. Nasty...
I just flew EWR-SFO on one of the intl. 757-200s with the 16-seat biz. The FAs either didn't know how to do p.s. or they were just lazy (more likely). They never served the sorbet (or any dessert). They also didn't distribute amenity kits until I asked (an hour or so into the flight). Lots of table-cloths, napkins and other stuff lay around until just before landing.

I've flown 99% on the 28-biz seat config. So I'm wondering if this is a pattern.....
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I just flew EWR-SFO on one of the intl. 757-200s with the 16-seat biz. The FAs either didn't know how to do p.s. or they were just lazy (more likely). They never served the sorbet (or any dessert). They also didn't distribute amenity kits until I asked (an hour or so into the flight). Lots of table-cloths, napkins and other stuff lay around until just before landing.

I've flown 99% on the 28-biz seat config. So I'm wondering if this is a pattern.....
Have been on several 16-seat biz PS flights in the last few months, and service has been great.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
heads up to t-mobile customers: beginning sometime soon (6/13 i believe), gogo inflight wifi will be free for 1 hour. free SMS will continue.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by miasmal
Took the 777 SFO-EWR flight the other day. The boarding area was a complete mess, with Group 1 stretching down the hallway past the neighboring gate. Luckily I stood early in line (re: gate louse) ... or so I thought. The GA had the nerve to say that due to 'catering issues' those in first class rows [sic] should not board and that boarding can start with those in rows 19+. That caused a bunch of Group 1 people to move around creating a Group 0.9 line. A few minutes later we started boarding, basically merging Groups 1 and 0.9.

They did have the p.s. food menu, bottled water, and the silver tin box amenity kit.
(Emphasis added)

So you want to delay the entire flight so you and rest of premium cabin can board first? With the alternative being no food for the flight, I think the delayed boarding is a small issue.

Originally Posted by porciuscato

By the description, I'm guessing they are junior reserves who are not familiar with the aircraft/service. Also, was this a breakfast flight? There's no sundae or dessert with breakfast.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:52 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
heads up to t-mobile customers: beginning sometime soon (6/13 i believe), gogo inflight wifi will be free for 1 hour. free SMS will continue.
Given that United doesn't allow the use of Gogo passes anymore, I doubt this will work, either.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by glx
Given that United doesn't allow the use of Gogo passes anymore, I doubt this will work, either.
Well, that's not true. I'm on a Gogo $16 all-day pass right now :P

I believe the fleet is split on Gogo/non-Gogo, so it really depends on the plane you get. I check the amenities the day before and buy the pass if the flight has that option
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glx
Originally Posted by Kryssa
Well, that's not true. I'm on a Gogo $16 all-day pass right now :P
The purchased day passes work, the subscriptions do not.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by PTahCha
...By the description, I'm guessing they are junior reserves who are not familiar with the aircraft/service. Also, was this a breakfast flight? There's no sundae or dessert with breakfast.
Nope. Dinner flight. I think I just had some particularly bad apples. At one point, I woke up to see one slipping something from the galley compartment into their bag (maybe an amenity kit).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:10 am

just managed to use an rpu ewr - sfo afternoon flight july 3
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
My 1st p.s. flight

I'm on my 1st p.s. flight EWR-SFO and like the new metal Olympic themed amenity kit.

Service has been great, the Trotter steak with chimichurri was good though a little rare for my liking. FA burnt the fudge sauce and we had some sweet smelling smoke for a few minutes so that was exciting.

GoGo is expensive at $33.95 and no prorating based on remaining flight time but have work to do so it is what it is.

I mentioned to one of the FAs that this was my 1st p.s. flight and she lamented that she missed JFK and how much of a surprise it was to them.

All in all, great use of a RPU on a W fare for sure!

Last edited by RockinRon; Jun 7, 2016 at 4:33 pm Reason: added pictures
Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Just took UA 751 EWR-LAX today on the pmUA 772. We landed 42 minutes early! Short flight time of under 5 hours.

We received Dasani water bottles after the main before the sundae. Crew was pleasant and friendly but meal service took 3 hours!!!! Has anyone else had that experience on a ps flight?? I was quite annoyed as I waited for the sundae (huge delay between courses, my tray and wine glass sat for quite a while between both app and main and between main and sundae), but wanted to nap and had little time to do so.

We received the Int'l amenity kit which was nice.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RockinRon
... GoGo is expensive at $33.95 and no prorating based on remaining flight time but have work to do so it is what it is.
For sUA 752 flights (28BF w/ GoGo WiFi) buy the all flight pass in advance for $16 (or 1 hour pass $5)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:31 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PTahCha
(Emphasis added)

So you want to delay the entire flight so you and rest of premium cabin can board first? With the alternative being no food for the flight, I think the delayed boarding is a small issue.
I don't think that is what the original poster said at all. Seems reasonable that a premium passenger would expect premium service. Why else would anyone pay for a premium ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.