Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For sUA 752 flights (28BF w/ GoGo WiFi) buy the all flight pass in advance for $16 (or 1 hour pass $5)
Good to know, thanks for the tip! ^
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
How to get F on 3 class 777 EWR-SFO?

Just booked J class EWR-SFO. Turns out they have usual ps service at 359 pm and a 3 class 777 at 4 pm...
They don't seem to be selling the GF seats upfront. Can I use a RPU to get upgraded? Have plenty available...
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
UA Insider already addressed this and this is in a separate thread. In short, you cannot use an upgrade - but UA may decide to give it to you based on fare class/Premier status.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by aacharya
UA Insider already addressed this and this is in a separate thread. In short, you cannot use an upgrade - but UA may decide to give it to you based on fare class/Premier status.
It's by the marketing department. Given to people they deem special -- not given out by premier status except to the extent that is a proxy.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
It's by the marketing department. Given to people they deem special -- not given out by premier status except to the extent that is a proxy.
So do they ever leave seats open or all filled up?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-up-front.html
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by anandrag
So do they ever leave seats open or all filled up?
Honestly, I doubt they have ever had the issue and so doubt it has ever gone out empty. UA seems to be doing extraordinarily well with selling premium cabin on SFO-EWR and the widebodies seem to attract folks (even if they are unawares of the pootastic 8-across bizfirst). I think they made a comment to that effect on a recent earnings call.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA seems to be doing extraordinarily well with selling premium cabin on SFO-EWR
At $1200 or less for the P fare, sure . . . .
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:11 pm

Honestly, I doubt they have ever had the issue and so doubt it has ever gone out empty. UA seems to be doing extraordinarily well with selling premium cabin on SFO-EWR and the widebodies seem to attract folks (even if they are unawares of the pootastic 8-across bizfirst). I think they made a comment to that effect on a recent earnings call.
I meant the GF seats that can't be booked. Seems to be at discretion of UA Marketing so not sure how they decide and whether P fares get preference or other methodology. Theoretically they don't need to upgrade anyone to GF unless they oversold on coach and need to move people to BF
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I meant the GF seats that can't be booked. Seems to be at discretion of UA Marketing so not sure how they decide and whether P fares get preference or other methodology. Theoretically they don't need to upgrade anyone to GF unless they oversold on coach and need to move people to BF
Or much more likely, they sell an additional 8 business class fares.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Or much more likely, they sell an additional 8 business class fares.
Yeah this is what I meant. They are filling up both.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Flew the 789 today LAX-EWR. FAs were on-point today. I saw them give out more of the tiny bourbon bottles on request even when we had descended to nearly 10,000 feet. My first experience on the Dreamliner - great experience in J! I will see how it is when I invariably am in the back...
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Flew the 789 today LAX-EWR. FAs were on-point today. I saw them give out more of the tiny bourbon bottles on request even when we had descended to nearly 10,000 feet. My first experience on the Dreamliner - great experience in J! I will see how it is when I invariably am in the back...
They fly 789 as ps?? Know they fly 772 but didn't know they fly 789
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
They fly 789 as ps?? Know they fly 772 but didn't know they fly 789
Only one, and it is a result of a union dispute:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....illed-airline/
Old Jun 17, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by aza72
Only one, and it is a result of a union dispute:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....illed-airline/
Fascinating and so dumb...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.