Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flew LAX-EWR last sat on the 787, I enjoyed it and so did most of the FA's.
One mentioned to me that was the most exciting flight in her 26 year career.
I overheard another few FA's laughing that they were getting compliments for their service when they were doing "everything wrong." Which while maybe technically correct by service flow etc, but they couldn't have been more hospitable.

Looking today I noticed something interesting the 787 will stay in LA until Wed and the return today was on a pmCO 777 that came in from SFO and tommorow's EWR-LAX will also be a pmCO 777 that is coming in from PEK
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Noanker1
Flew LAX-EWR last sat on the 787, I enjoyed it and so did most of the FA's.
One mentioned to me that was the most exciting flight in her 26 year career.
I overheard another few FA's laughing that they were getting compliments for their service when they were doing "everything wrong." Which while maybe technically correct by service flow etc, but they couldn't have been more hospitable.

Looking today I noticed something interesting the 787 will stay in LA until Wed and the return today was on a pmCO 777 that came in from SFO and tommorow's EWR-LAX will also be a pmCO 777 that is coming in from PEK
She's excited because up until very recently all 787s were staffed with sCO FAs. As of June 9th A/C #956 transitioned to sUA and are now staffed with sUA FAs. A/C #s 966 & 967 will also be staffed with sUA FAS. Beginning in August SFO-TPE-SFO flying will transition to sUA and EWR-LAX-EWR 787 flying will discontinue and will be flown on domestic trips out of SFO.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
She's excited because up until very recently all 787s were staffed with sCO FAs. As of June 9th A/C #956 transitioned to sUA and are now staffed with sUA FAs. A/C #s 966 & 967 will also be staffed with sUA FAS. Beginning in August SFO-TPE-SFO flying will transition to sUA and EWR-LAX-EWR 787 flying will discontinue and will be flown on domestic trips out of SFO.
Yay to sUA FA complements. Boo to pulling the 787 from LAX<>EWR.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jun 22, 2016 at 1:24 am
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I've taken two EWR -> SFOs r/t in J over the past month or so, and I avoided booking the 777; didn't notice the 787 though. For me, part of the PS experience is the unique aircraft. I don't fly UA very much, but both PS experiences were very positive. Crews were friendly and the meals were nice. Contrasted with AA which despite the new aircraft has provided a really mediocre soft experience in J on the transcon of late.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I've taken two EWR -> SFOs r/t in J over the past month or so, and I avoided booking the 777; didn't notice the 787 though. For me, part of the PS experience is the unique aircraft. I don't fly UA very much, but both PS experiences were very positive. Crews were friendly and the meals were nice. Contrasted with AA which despite the new aircraft has provided a really mediocre soft experience in J on the transcon of late.
I think the 787 only flies to LAX - can anyone confirm?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Highly unexpected but on EWR-LAX UA 233 last night and was upgraded at the gate when I scanned my BP. I am Prem Gold and was on an S fare. Economy was oversold, so I'm guessing it was an op up? First time in a lieflat seat, was quite an enjoyable experience!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smxflyer
Highly unexpected but on EWR-LAX UA 233 last night and was upgraded at the gate when I scanned my BP. I am Prem Gold and was on an S fare. Economy was oversold, so I'm guessing it was an op up? First time in a lieflat seat, was quite an enjoyable experience!
^^

Go buy lottery tix!
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Was on UA751 EWR-LAX, my first time on a 777 PS flight in J. I prefer the 757 seats.

Also, the pasta (ravioli) dish had a new lemon sauce, which IMO was inedible. One bite was all I could stomach. My wife tasted it and she agreed.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flew the late red-eye SFO-EWR Friday night . . . wow the 28 BF are getting beat up three years after the conversion was completed. Cabin just feels dingy - dirty carpets, grime in all the cracks, all surfaces in need of a good scrub.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Flew the late red-eye SFO-EWR Friday night . . . wow the 28 BF are getting beat up three years after the conversion was completed. Cabin just feels dingy - dirty carpets, grime in all the cracks, all surfaces in need of a good scrub.
Agree. Of course, it's bound to happen with folks sitting in the seats probably 12 hours per day every single day.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I flew #1600 EWR-LAX in 1A. Normally I like 1A, but on this flight the crew were extra noisy in the galley. I wish I'd been a few rows back.

But my main problem was that we were an hour late due to traffic. Flight #1600 leaves around 5pm and I guess the air traffic at that time isn't great. But rather than being used to this problem the UA ground staff and EWR were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Giving out all sorts of false information. Boarding on time. Boarding delayed 30 minutes. Board now, hurry up! First class don't board yet! Meanwhile half the first class boarded via lines other than #1 and those of us lined up in #1 were the last to board.

Then of course we left the gate and parked out on the tarmac for an hour.

Then came the LAX part. Even though United must have known our arrival time, they did not prepare a gate for us. So again we sat out on the tarmac between runways. 15 minutes later we moved all the way down past the terminals to the east end of the airport, waited some more, and finally made it to the gate. What's that word? Cluster-*#*%?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed United has adopted the snacks-for-delayed-flights strategy, at least for SFO-EWR.

Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by nycityny
Agree. Of course, it's bound to happen with folks sitting in the seats probably 12 hours per day every single day.
Most of the foreign OALs I've flown manage to keep their cabins in notably better condition. LX's 340s for example are super old, and just as well-used as UA's 752s, but the cabins are maintained in pristine condition.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Yeah well those Swiss A340s aren't doing a 5-hour domestic shuttle service.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Yeah well those Swiss A340s aren't doing a 5-hour domestic shuttle service.
No, but SQ's oldest 772s are doing short intra-Asia flights under 2 hours per leg (some SIN-KUL all day) and they are still in great shape because SQ regularly maintains them. Why do you think that airlines looking for used planes to buy always want SQ frames?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.