Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: CO - Platinum
SFO-EWR reduced flights in 2017?

I travel every other week SFO-EWR, so book pretty far ahead for lowest cost P fares. Looking ahead to Jan 2017, I'm seeing fewer flights per day, particularly the outbound afternoon flights seem to be missing. Is there a reduction in flights on this route? Or am I looking too far ahead.
Have searched for info, but have come up with nothing. Thanks for any insights.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rangr
I travel every other week SFO-EWR, so book pretty far ahead for lowest cost P fares. Looking ahead to Jan 2017, I'm seeing fewer flights per day, particularly the outbound afternoon flights seem to be missing. Is there a reduction in flights on this route? Or am I looking too far ahead.
This occurred last year also, there was a winter slowdown that then recovered in the spring / summer.

Leisure travel and even some business travel avoids that part of the country in Jan-Feb-March.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 30, 2016 at 5:44 pm Reason: travel aviodance
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: CO - Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This occurred last year also, there was a winter slowdown that then recovered in the spring / summer.

Leisure travel and even some business travel avoids that part of the country in Jan-Feb-March.
Makes sense, thank you!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by rangr
I'm looking at LAX-EWR-LAX for June 2017 and also noticed fewer flights.
I'm finding great rates for B6 Mint...
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:24 am

Lax-ewr swapped from 752 to 739?

UA 510 and UA 2020 between lax and ewr on 11/9 had last minute aircraft swap from the flat bed 752 to regular recliner 739.

I wonder if United would offer equivalent compensation to those in business class who expected flat bed and p.s. service?

If compensation is offered, what would be the compensation?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
LOL

No
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
UA 510 and UA 2020 between lax and ewr on 11/9 had last minute aircraft swap from the flat bed 752 to regular recliner 739.

I wonder if United would offer equivalent compensation to those in business class who expected flat bed and p.s. service?

2 1/2 years ago, I was on PS flight (SFO-JFK), when a swap was made to a non PS plane. I was in economy and received $150 e certificate (as a 1k).
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PBAudit
2 1/2 years ago, I was on PS flight (SFO-JFK), when a swap was made to a non PS plane. I was in economy and received $150 e certificate (as a 1k).
That is totally different, PS are special, LAX to EWR is typically a 73X flight.

I mean you can complain and see what they throw at you to get you to go away, but I typically save those for when I need them. I don't want to be the person who cried wolf too much and then when I really need help I don't get it.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
That is totally different, PS are special, LAX to EWR is typically a 73X flight.
LAX-EWR has been PS for more than a year now.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Executive
This sounds way better than them cancelling the flight. I bet writing in would result in some type of cert/miles if you paid for or used a RPU/GPU to sit up front.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium

When pigs can fly my fellow Bruin!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
LOL

No
Compensation would certainly be offered. As noted elsewhere, LAX<>EWR p.s. flights offer extra amenities as part of the value proposition, and flatbed seats in BF are are among them.

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
When pigs can fly my fellow Bruin!
OP specifically asks about BF. Y passengers may not expect much if any, but BF passengers would certainly get something if they ask.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So it's finally happening. Hope this is not a harbinger of more to come.

UA will offer free changes to a flight with lie-flats, and comp to BF pax who wind up flying the 739.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:42 pm

767-400 from SFO/LAX Dec 4

I saw red eye flights both LAX and SFO to EWR Dec 4th have 767-400's? Anyone know this is correct, as I thinking booking them for easier upgrades (more business seats). I did not see 767-400 flying from EWR to LAX/SFO so wondering where they are coming from if it is right info.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by inlandrev
I saw red eye flights both LAX and SFO to EWR Dec 4th have 767-400's? Anyone know this is correct, as I thinking booking them for easier upgrades (more business seats). I did not see 767-400 flying from EWR to LAX/SFO so wondering where they are coming from if it is right info.
Might be used as revenue flights back to EWR from a west coast football charter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.