Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by inlandrev
I saw red eye flights both LAX and SFO to EWR Dec 4th have 767-400's? Anyone know this is correct, as I thinking booking them for easier upgrades (more business seats). I did not see 767-400 flying from EWR to LAX/SFO so wondering where they are coming from if it is right info.
764s are not used to Asia, so a charter re-positioning ? Or a return from a maintenance facility?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by inlandrev
I thinking booking them for easier upgrades (more business seats).
Not sure about that. The ps 752 and 3-class 772 both have a higher ratio of premium cabin seats.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by aevange8
This sounds way better than them cancelling the flight. I bet writing in would result in some type of cert/miles if you paid for or used a RPU/GPU to sit up front.
Yea, but when you paid for transcontinental ps product and ended up not getting it, I think compensation is reasonable?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
So it's finally happening. Hope this is not a harbinger of more to come.

UA will offer free changes to a flight with lie-flats, and comp to BF pax who wind up flying the 739.
did a 737 swap ever happen while p.s. was at JFK? i can recall plenty of non-lieflat pmUA 752s being subbed in (r.i.p.), but not a 737.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by riphamilton
did a 737 swap ever happen while p.s. was at JFK? i can recall plenty of non-lieflat pmUA 752s being subbed in (r.i.p.), but not a 737.
I don't think so, since there were no sCO crews based out of JFK. there was the 24-seat 752s, and occasional 767-300 subbed in, albeit with minimum staffing.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by riphamilton
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I don't think so, since there were no sCO crews based out of JFK. there was the 24-seat 752s, and occasional 767-300 subbed in, albeit with minimum staffing.
No 737s when p.s. was at JFK, but sCO did have some 752s based there when they started the sUA p.s. 752 retrofits. They pulled from the EWR base to staff those.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I had a similar experience about a year ago although it was a non-p.s. flight. I booked a P fare SFO-IAD on a 3 class 777. I was offered a buy up after purchase to "United First" (GlobalFirst) for only $99 which I took and ended up booking into A.

At T-24, the 777 was swapped for a 737 and my window/aisle flatbed was replaced with a domestic first recliner. Since my original P fare would have put me in domestic first anyway, I called to get a refund of the A class buyup.

The first agent was unsympathetic and said I paid for A class and was re-accommodated in A class and that seating type was not guaranteed. Although I know the agent was correct as I was placed in the same "class of service", it's hard to argue the GlobalFirst hard product to domestic first isn't a huge downgrade.

After I HUCA, the second agent was much more sympathetic. She was unable to find the add/collect transaction that took place during the buyup. I asked if she could just put me in P class for the return since it was originally booked in K. Surprisingly, she was able to upgrade the return which ended up posting as P with the PQM bonus.

Although I didn't get my GF lieflat, what ended up being a $99 upgrade on the return was money well spent to avoid 6 hours in Y.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure about that. The ps 752 and 3-class 772 both have a higher ratio of premium cabin seats.
You are correct about the ratio, but it seems few economy passengers at this point (lots of empty rows on the seat map vs, other flights fuller). Sound like as mentioned return of a sports charter flight, if so should be 764 for sure, I was worried it would change to 757 or worse some other plane, since 767's are seldom at LAX (and SFO).
Old Nov 16, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is p.s "Business" post December 1 (vs BusinessFirst), concurrent with int'l BF re-branding? My December 10 BF LAX-EWR went to Business from BF.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Is p.s "Business" post December 1 (vs BusinessFirst), concurrent with int'l BF re-branding? My December 10 BF LAX-EWR went to Business from BF.
While they never mentioned it directly, this might be the new designation for the p.s. premium cabin, since it's not being called Polaris.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:39 pm

While they never mentioned it directly, this might be the new designation for the p.s. premium cabin, since it's not being called Polaris.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Interesting, I currently have a EWR-LAX reservation for 1/21/17 and it's still listed as "BusinessFirst".
Attached Images  
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Actually just refreshed my reservation and it did change to "Business" instead of "BusinessFirst" on an existing reservation.

Sent a message to United to ask if there's any difference.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tstauck
Actually just refreshed my reservation and it did change to "Business" instead of "BusinessFirst" on an existing reservation.

Sent a message to United to ask if there's any difference.
I doubt there will be any difference other than name. I'm thinking introduction of Polaris left BF only on p.s. flights (and Lima?), so UA's simply changing it to Business. Simplifies lounge rules. Business (p.s. or int'l) gets you into UC. Polaris gets you into Polaris lounge (and/or UC).
Old Nov 16, 2016, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm thinking introduction of Polaris left BF only on p.s. flights (and Lima?), so UA's simply changing it to Business.
They're dropping the "BusinessFirst" branding. So this makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.