Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Maybe towards the end of the 752 retirement they will use the 763 as a replacement. DL seems to have no problem using 76W on the transcon run.
By that logic UA could move to 777/787 since UA has "no problem" with a 777/787 on the transcon run.

767 is a small fraction of DL's TCON capacity, and their overall frequency on the NYC-LA/SF routes is pretty thin compared to UA.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
With many daily non-stop EWR-SFO/LAX (and vice versa) flights, any thoughts on the greatest probability of GPU/RPU clearance? Perhaps traditional thoughts about not flying Monday or Friday to avoid competing with business travelers? Perhaps very early morning flights and very late flights are generally less crowded? 28 vs 16 lie flat? Any consensus opinions? Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by stimpy
Other airlines take the decision to spend the money to have a good clean product. UA doesn't invest quite as much per seat/airplane/lounge.
Sad but very true.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I just had a chance to compare UA p.s. and JetBlue Mint on NYC-SFO. A couple of thoughts:

- Seat: 4A (suite) outbound on Mint and 5F on the sUA 752 p.s. return. Hands down the Mint seat wins with the privacy, direct aisle access and overall comfort.
- Service: great crew on both UA and JetBlue, although I felt like the brunch service was a bit slow on Mint - almost 2.5 hours from start to finish. Big thumbs up for Ch. 9!
- Food: had brunch on JetBlue and lunch on UA so not a perfect comparison but I thought both had creative and tasty options despite the lack of a brand name (Saxon+Parole) on the UA meal service. Great Brooklyn Roasting Company espresso on JetBlue.
- Ground: I think UA has JetBlue beat here as I find EWR Terminal C slightly more convenient via mass transit, and of course, the benefit of having UC access for better or worse
- Schedule: UA has far more frequency and hubs on both ends which helps in IRROPS. Ironic I bring this up though as I was on the only SFO-EWR flight last Tuesday that was on-time...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I've never had an on time PS departure from EWR to SFO. On flight 1885 now which landed 45 minutes late. Now we been waiting for a gate for over 10 minutes.

I only spend 1-2 weekends a month at home with my current work schedule. Getting close to jumping ship.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:51 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Living in the middle of the country, I don't get to experience p.s. very often...I've flown it a handful of times over the years, and the opportunity has come up again...

In paid business, SFO-EWR, I have the choice of a sCO 757 or an sUA 757. Departure times are :35 apart, and is irrelevant as I'm connecting on both ends with plenty of connection time allotted regardless of which flight I take.

I'm leaning toward the sCO flight, as I figure less seats roughly means better service. Is the number of seats about the only difference?

Seat maps are wide open on both (flight isn't for a few months yet), so I'm thinking bulkhead on whatever I book for the slightly better legroom.

The only slight, slight advantage may be the later flight (sCO) for me means :35 longer in SFO, as it means more time in the Amex lounge there versus the UC in EWR.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
The only slight, slight advantage may be the later flight (sCO) for me means :35 longer in SFO, as it means more time in the Amex lounge there versus the UC in EWR.
That would tip the balance for me, assuming you're not endangering your EWR connection. Variability in individual crews should overwhelm any particular sCO or sUA bias, I should think.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The sUA aircraft were much more recently refurbed, are less beat up, and have better AVOD. The sUA crews will on average be more attentive, though individual variation can trump that.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Living in the middle of the country, I don't get to experience p.s. very often...I've flown it a handful of times over the years, and the opportunity has come up again...

In paid business, SFO-EWR, I have the choice of a sCO 757 or an sUA 757. Departure times are :35 apart, and is irrelevant as I'm connecting on both ends with plenty of connection time allotted regardless of which flight I take.

I'm leaning toward the sCO flight, as I figure less seats roughly means better service. Is the number of seats about the only difference?

Seat maps are wide open on both (flight isn't for a few months yet), so I'm thinking bulkhead on whatever I book for the slightly better legroom.

In my experience, I've found the sCO 757 seats/cabins/bathrooms to be rattier.

The sUA cabins were updated more recently when they went from 3 cabin to 2 cabin. As such the IFE is also marginally better. Also since there are two bulkheads, you double your chance of getting a seat with a full sized footwell.

WiFi is also slightly different. sUA you have GoGo and if you plan on using it, make sure you purchase a Day Pass before departing and you'll only play $16. sCO you get the UA Satellite WiFi which is supposed to be faster than GoGo.

Last but not least, you'll at least have a shot at Channel 9 with the sUA metal.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
sCO you get the UA Satellite WiFi which is supposed to be faster than GoGo.
But it so rarely works.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:34 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Thanks everyone! That makes it clear as mud...LOL, I kid, I kid. But my interpretation of everyone's thoughtful suggestions is that there are positives and negatives on both. I think I like the idea of better entertainment and newer cabins on sUA.

The sUA also gives me that extra :35 at SFO...And I think my final tipping point is that I've had a handful of flights on the sCO version, while I have not flown on the sUA version since the new seats were installed...The novelty factor is playing in for sure.

Now for seats...Best seats? Seatguru isn't super helpful...Thinking row 5 on the aisle? Is E/F better than A/B? Looks like it on the seat map...

(All in vain anyway, I think...I will be coming from Asia, I'm sure I'll just sleep the whole flight ).

Thank you all again!

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Aug 7, 2016 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Would go for 1F or 5F - extra footwell space, and if you will be sleeping the entire flight, probably don't want someone climbing over you
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Now for seats...Best seats? Seatguru isn't super helpful...Thinking row 5 on the aisle? Is E/F better than A/B? Looks like it on the seat map...
1 or 5 E/F. Guessing game whether FAs will gather for chat in either or both galleys.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Row 1 or Row 5 have full sized foot wells and for me that is the high order bit.

From there, I like window seats, so the A/F seats within those rows are my first choices.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
On a separate note, yesterday afternoon I found the last EWR-LAX flight of the day on a Friday in October to have not only open R availability, but also IN availability (no I though). First time in a very long time I feel like I have seen anything open aside from when fare buckets get thrown open right before the plane takes off. Grabbed an award for my wife and burned my last RPU on myself. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.