Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: UA
No it's the same as any other domestic flight.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would say the answer to your question is no, although the sUA 752s which usually fly the p.s. routes are better equipped than most domestic aircraft. There is seatback AVOD nose to tail, and E+ is 36" pitch. (The "international" sCO 752 config is similarly nice).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
777 v 757 PS

Flying EWR-SFO BF. I have the opportunity to switch flights from 5AB on the pmUA 757 to the 2 middle rear facing seats on the 777 flight, flights leave 30 min apart.

Seems like a no brainer to stick with the 757 bulkhead with the larger seatwell v middle narrower seats. But I have been on those 757's frequently and never a pmUA 777, or flying backwards.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Personally I'd stay on the 757. Those 777 seats really are very narrow.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Absolutely no question, stay with the 757.

BF on a 777 is what coach would be like if coach had lay flat beds. There's no place to put anything down, like your water bottle, headphones, eye mask. Generally dumpier.

I flew BF a few times to Europe on a 777, had the stranger next to me on a middle seat spoon into me by accident. More personal than a neighbor in coach.

I booked two recent 777 ps flights EWR SFO this month, to explore the RPU upgrade odds as a 1K. I cleared one out of two, far better than recent odds on a 757 ps flight. However, both BF and E+ felt dumpier than the 757 ps I rather like; I don't plan to repeat this experiment.

IFE screens worse. Overhead bins worse. Seat comfort and condition worse. I see no cachet to wide bodies (unless one can sit upstairs in 747 BF). A 757 feels like flying the way a sports car feels like driving (a reaction I date to my surprise on my very first 757 takeoff; one gets jaded now). A 777 feels like being stuck in a school bus for six hours.

Some of the 777 coach bathrooms are however spacious. If one were intent on joining the mile high club, this would be the aircraft. Not only can two people gain access unobserved (no sight lines if there isn't a line), but there's plenty of room.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:21 am

I like the 777 better. The beds are actually longer and a little better paded. Also, flying facing backwards is a very cool novelty. And while I think we all love 757s, heavy triple sevens on domestic legs are just awesome.

Also, if you're in Y, the 3-class 777s have the best comfort E seats in the fleet. They're perfect.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I like the 777 better. The beds are actually longer and a little better paded. Also, flying facing backwards is a very cool novelty. And while I think we all love 757s, heavy triple sevens on domestic legs are just awesome.

Also, if you're in Y, the 3-class 777s have the best comfort E seats in the fleet. They're perfect.
IMO a PS BF seat is much preferable the center two seats on a 777 in a 2-4-2 config. No matter what you always have to climb over someone which I detest doing... The ONLY way I would consider switching was if bathroom accessibility was important. The 757 PS/BF cabin restroom is always in use - and blocked off often for the cabin crew to use...
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

757 bulkhead is a nice seat.
However on a flight I want to sleep, I'd go with the 777 window or aisle, e.g. not middle seats. The 777 seat is longer and makes for a better sleep for me.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'd vote for the 777 just because I like a airy cabin feeling.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
777 C seats are terrible. Stick to the 757.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I'd go 777 and just pick out a good seat. Not sure how much longer you can count on a 777 being on EWR-LAX.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Probably would be best for folks to be clearer on which 777 they are referring to -- the 3-class with 2-4-2 in business or the 2-class with 2-2-2 in business. Both are being used on the SFO/LAX<>EWR PS route.

The OP was referring to the 3-class version but some of the respondents may not.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
I just did a LAX-EWR trip in BF, flying the 3-class 777 out and a 757 back. To me at least, the difference was truly striking. Besides the seat being uncomfortable on the 777 (that one inch of seat width really does matter), I felt like I was on top of my neighbor the whole time. Had a much better experience on the 757, even with a seat that didn't recline. :-P
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Noanker1
Flying EWR-SFO BF. I have the opportunity to switch flights from 5AB on the pmUA 757 to the 2 middle rear facing seats on the 777 flight, flights leave 30 min apart.

Seems like a no brainer to stick with the 757 bulkhead with the larger seatwell v middle narrower seats. But I have been on those 757's frequently and never a pmUA 777, or flying backwards.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I would only do the 772 if I could get an A/B or J/K, preferably in row 6.

I prefer the seat on the 772 purely for comfort, but the lack of personal space is definitely an issue.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would only do the 772 if I could get an A/B or J/K, preferably in row 6.

I prefer the seat on the 772 purely for comfort, but the lack of personal space is definitely an issue.
You are a better person than I am - I just HATE the middle 4 coffin seats and I avoid the PMUA birds at all costs on longhaul flights in J...

The only thing worse - IMO - is the "proposed/theoretical" new design which I have dubbed the "snake-pit" - if we think things are tight now wait until UA tells us we can ALL have aisle access while still maintaining 8 across - we will all be snuggled up together like, well, hibernating snakes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.