Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
It was an award - so 35K miles one-way vs 25K.
You should be able to request that refund.
Modifying response -- if seated in GF section of the aircraft, there will be no refund. If seated in BF section, then a refund is due.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 11, 2016 at 2:10 pm Reason: Misread OP
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You should be able to request that refund.
Thanks for the advice, will be sure to do so. The trickier one is probably going to be my wife's seat (which was booked into GF using partner miles).
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Looks like this is going to be a fun one...

In trying to request a refund, UA cust svc is insisting that the plane we're on is a 3-class plane (which it is, I'm not disputing that), and that they'd be happy to help in the event that it is swapped for a 2-class plane. I share the relevant post from UA Insider, but that didn't seem to help.

Would be nice if there was some degree of consistency across different customer touchpoints.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Looks like this is going to be a fun one...

In trying to request a refund, UA cust svc is insisting that the plane we're on is a 3-class plane (which it is, I'm not disputing that), and that they'd be happy to help in the event that it is swapped for a 2-class plane. I share the relevant post from UA Insider, but that didn't seem to help.

Would be nice if there was some degree of consistency across different customer touchpoints.
To be fair, while they don't call the service GF per se, it is UA company policy to charge an extra 10K miles for domestic saver awards allowing access the extra space in the GF cabin. I've done it on a couple of occasions, and it's worth the miles to me, no question.

So while the service isn't technically GF -- you don't get access to the GF lounges, for example -- they're correct in charging the extra miles.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Any guidelines for those of us who booked into GF on these routes (when it was still possible to do so) and will now *only* be getting BF service - in terms of refunds or compensation?
Misread this as you were moved to BF section, however if seated in the GF section -- no refund. You received what you booked -- F on a 3-class domestic aircraft. There is no GF on domestic flights. Just 3-class F or 2-class F.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
To be fair, while they don't call the service GF per se, it is UA company policy to charge an extra 10K miles for domestic saver awards allowing access the extra space in the GF cabin. I've done it on a couple of occasions, and it's worth the miles to me, no question.

So while the service isn't technically GF -- you don't get access to the GF lounges, for example -- they're correct in charging the extra miles.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Misread this as you were moved to BF section, however if seated in the GF section -- no refund. You received what you booked -- F on a 3-class domestic aircraft. There is no GF on domestic flights. Just 3-class F or 2-class F.
Thanks for the clarification. Explains why the rep clearly thought I was smoking something - definitely glad I tried to do this via email rather than a phone call

I normally wouldn't have even thought about inquiring, was just thrown by the fact that these flights are now clearly being marketed and sold as 2-class flights (per UA Insider's announcement a month or so ago), meaning it's no longer possible to book directly into the front cabin. My understanding of other flights that happen to have a 3-class configuration domestically is that you could still book direct into F (assuming inventory is available).

In fact, if I look at my dates, you can book on a 772 from SFO-EWR, but the F cabin is blocked out. However, if you fly a 772 from SFO-IAD and then connect up to EWR, you can book direct into the F cabin on the first leg (standard awards, no saver available of course). I guess I'm confused as to why they would they are now - on ps of all routes - blocking all booking into F, but still leaving it open on "regular" routes that happen to have the necessary equipment.

The seat alone is probably enough for me to justify the incremental 10K miles (or 7.5K SQ miles), but still feels like I'm getting shortchanged just a bit.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
In fact, if I look at my dates, you can book on a 772 from SFO-EWR, but the F cabin is blocked out. However, if you fly a 772 from SFO-IAD and then connect up to EWR, you can book direct into the F cabin on the first leg (standard awards, no saver available of course). I guess I'm confused as to why they would they are now - on ps of all routes - blocking all booking into F, but still leaving it open on "regular" routes that happen to have the necessary equipment.
My sense is that since many PS BF flyers are already paying very high fares and they are also presumably some of UA's best customers, they would rather allocate the GF PS seats on the basis of who they would prefer to reward as a customer relations matter than simply first-come-first-served.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe because, IAD as a pmUA hub still operates quite a few 3-class 777s to multiple overseas destinations, whereas EWR is the sCO 2-class hub.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by physioprof
July 6, 1:30PM flight. Lots of seats taken in E and E+, but I'm still the only assigned seat in BF, and P fare is still available.
I'm still the only assigned seat in BF on this flight. Seems strange.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm still the only assigned seat in BF on this flight. Seems strange.
Lucky you! I booked LAX-EWR on the 789 on June 17. Booked into middle section, looking forward to the ride! I really hope there aren't any issues with IRROPS...
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
per @airlineroute, the 789 will now do LAX-EWR turns 6/9-7/10.

it was previously scheduled through 8/1.

http://airlineroute.net/2016/04/17/u...-jun16update2/
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know what happens to empty seats in BusinessFirst before departure. I assume they are first offered as TODs. After all the miles upgrades and RPUs and there are still empty seats left what do they do with them?

Would they rather have a seat empty and have an elite sit in Economy or do they upgrade the elite(Despite the no CPU on P.S. Policy)?
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Seby12
Would they rather have a seat empty and have an elite sit in Economy or do they upgrade the elite(Despite the no CPU on P.S. Policy)?
No free upgrades. Seats would go empty. It's pretty rare.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Does anyone know what happens to empty seats in BusinessFirst before departure. I assume they are first offered as TODs. After all the miles upgrades and RPUs and there are still empty seats left what do they do with them?

I've been in BF on ps routes several times where the seat next to me was empty. They seem to mean what they say about no CPU on ps.

On the other hand if the economy section is oversold then, of course, they would move elites to the front.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

They'd rather have them go out empty than upgrade someone without collecting cash, miles or an upgrade instrument. They are, thugh, available to employees at what I'm told are reasonable rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.