Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:33 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by nycityny
Thanks for the info, but I consider the 8:45pm LAX-EWR to be a redeye too. I mean, you spend all night flying and arrive at 4:47 in the morning with "red eyes."

They must really rush through the meal service so folks can get as much sleep as possible. I'm flying Monday night so will find out.
You said EWR-LAX. Regardless, you get dinner on that flight, also. I believe the only ones you don't are the super late leaving ones - after 10pm
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:37 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by fumje
If you're the only guy in this situation, I'd hazard that UA is doing their revenue management well. But if there are a bunch of others who don't post to FT, that's a lot of lost revenue in the pursuit of ensuring each flight is full.
I'd posit that they have every single capable 752 flying the route now and that it's simply a number of seats available issue and not them trying to squeeze everyone into fewer planes - hence them using some of the available 772's where possible.

My guess is as they get more 739's this year and can swap them in on the remaining domestic turns that the int'l config 752's serve that we'll see more ps flights a day.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:14 am

Question about United's BusinessFirst For Early Morning Flights

Hello. I have a question about United's BusinessFirst class service about the meal. In June, I am flying from Newark to San Francisco and am wondering about the food for early morning flights.

I have a 6:00 AM EST flight from Newark to SFO to 9:30 PST on a Boeing 757-200 and was wondering for anyone who has flown this route at this time, how is the breakfast?

All I find about the food on United's BusinessFirst is information about lunch and dinner, but very little about the breakfast.

Could someone please help me? There are currently 20 BusinessFirst seats available and do not want to miss one if the food is worth the extra price, which is about $400.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Question about United's BusinessFirst For Early Morning Flights

What are you hoping to get for your $400.00?

Last edited by mike2200; Mar 6, 2016 at 11:39 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The food is NOT worth $400.

But, those seats are much more comfortable than economy seats.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by mike2200
What are you hoping to get for your $400.00?
Mike2200,
I am hoping for a comfortable seat, decent meal which is better than what you get for Economy class and power for my laptop.

Also, does this cover the United Lounge at EWR?

Is there anything else that makes it worth it?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There are plenty of places in EWR that will sell you an acceptable breakfast for far less than $400. If this is a major consideration for choosing BF, you probably shouldn't. Your laptop should last for five hours fully charged, so the only benefit (worth it in my opinion) is the much better seat for that length of time. Food on UA is diabolically bad, so don't even spend a minute thinking about that.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Hi blchamnynj. Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The service between EWR and SFO is called p.s. service. It is a very nice way to travel across the country in BusinessFirst.

The plane you will be on uses the same lie-flat seat as Intl flights. Plenty of space and actually converts into a bed if you wish to get some sleep. Pillow and blanket provided.

There is a section of FlyerTalk for discussing United questions, and even a thread for specific discusions of the food service on domestic (including p.s. flights). It can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nessfirst.html

For your flight, breakfast will be served shortly after takeoff. You will be first served a fruit plate and then a choice of three different entrees. Drinks and breakfast bread also served, of course.

For a fare difference of only $400, I would certainly opt for BusinessFirst over Economy (or Economy Plus). The price differential is usually much higher.

Added: I see LondonElite and I were replying at the same time. United has recently revamped their domestic meals, and some of them are actually quite good. I am not sure they were ever "diabolically bad" but they were not always up to par before. Much better now.

Last edited by goodeats21; Feb 29, 2016 at 7:10 am
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:16 am
Suspended

I asked a FA once what kind of meat the round hockey disk was. She told me it was a sausage patty. I said 'yes, I see that's what you call it, but what animal did this meat come from, a cow, a pig, a chicken, a squirrel?' She had no clue. It was gross and didn't even taste like meat, so I've avoided those ever since.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by glx
I'd posit that they have every single capable 752 flying the route now and that it's simply a number of seats available issue and not them trying to squeeze everyone into fewer planes - hence them using some of the available 772's where possible.

My guess is as they get more 739's this year and can swap them in on the remaining domestic turns that the int'l config 752's serve that we'll see more ps flights a day.
I'm guessing this is most likely the case. While not trying to speak in absolutes too much, I'm highly unlikely to use EWR at all anymore based on them killing Uber. The cabs out of EWR might be the biggest joke/scam? I've ever seen. It was especially incredible last year when all the credit card voucher machines at terminal C were broken for a stretch of MONTHS. What was the solution? "Oh the cab will drive you around to terminal A to pick up a voucher."

That and OTG.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I asked a FA once what kind of meat the round hockey disk was. She told me it was a sausage patty. I said 'yes, I see that's what you call it, but what animal did this meat come from, a cow, a pig, a chicken, a squirrel?' She had no clue. It was gross and didn't even taste like meat, so I've avoided those ever since.
While you were certainly wise to avoid the infamous sausage patties that graced every transcon F breakfast for a number of years, your venom is out of date: UA has dramatically increased the quality of its domestic meals in recent months. The difference is night and day. Here's a breakfast from a few months back, just after the change:

The only thing that's still wretched is the coffee, but that's changing to Illy soon.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Million Miler.
In addition to the fresh fruit cup and bread (usually muffins, biscuits and croissants), IME, the 3 breakfast choices have been:
- eggs (they call it an omlete) with the aforementioned sausage patty plus a triangle of something that I believe is a mixture of potatoes and broccoli.
- French toast with a slice of ham (or sometimes sausage).
- cold cereal (usually Cheerios) with a banana.

And everything tastes better with a Bloody Mary or two!
(And the new coffee is not bad).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by ErikStratton
- eggs (they call it an omlete) with the aforementioned sausage patty plus a triangle of something that I believe is a mixture of potatoes and broccoli.
Just so we're clear, as my photo demonstrates, the "aforementioned sausage patty" has been replaced with an infinitely superior substitute.

Again, just for the record, flights are not yet using Illy coffee. Only the UCs have it now. UA in-flight coffee will change some time this summer.

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...at-united.aspx
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:31 am
Suspended

That does look much better. Not $400 better, mind you, but I take back my comments.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
In addition to the fresh fruit cup and bread (usually muffins, biscuits and croissants), IME, the 3 breakfast choices have been:
- French toast with a slice of ham (or sometimes sausage).
- cold cereal (usually Cheerios) with a banana.

And everything tastes better with a Bloody Mary or two!
This is outdated as others have mentioned. So unless you've flown in the past few months there are those here better equipped to offering worthwhile advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.