Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by phxrsng
Yes, I think especially at high demand times. That said, I've had pretty good luck. I pay for the p.s. BF seat about half the time and try to upgrade with instruments the other half and with some second or third choice timings have rarely sat in back recently.
Sounds like you're booking into open R, and adjusting your schedule to do it. I agree that's still feasible, though challenging, and IME usually involves one of the off flight times.

Waitlisting by a no-status pax is a different proposition entirely.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
Of the times I don't pay for BF only part of it do I book into R. A lot of times R isn't open when I book but I can book based on where I've seen it end up opening in the past and have a decent shot at clearing.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 5:48 am

Bassinet on 757-200 INTL version for PS?

Sup fellow tulip fans

I spoke to a United rep and asked if they had a bassinet on PS flights. She said they did, but only on the 757s that have 16 business first seats. Not the version that has the larger first class. So i'm thinking these are the INTL first class 757s that are used intermittently for PS service to SF/LA.

Any truth to this? Does anyone have experience with bassinets on PS?

Rep said they had one in seats 1 A and B.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thx
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by EWRtoSFO
Sup fellow tulip fans

I spoke to a United rep and asked if they had a bassinet on PS flights. She said they did, but only on the 757s that have 16 business first seats. Not the version that has the larger first class. So i'm thinking these are the INTL first class 757s that are used intermittently for PS service to SF/LA.

Any truth to this? Does anyone have experience with bassinets on PS?

Rep said they had one in seats 1 A and B.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thx
I know of one on the sUA ps plane. It is in the console in front of 5 A&B above the IFE. Kind of like a hatch you plop the baby in. Usually they FA's use that area as the snack service/wine. I am not sure the baby can be in the hatch during takeoff and landing but it looks quite comfortable, with a mesh hammock style thing. Added bonus if said baby acts up, you can close the hatch and lock it in there.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:03 am

can anyone tell me what the seating experience is in seats 1A and B in 757-200 UA version? (16 biz first seats)

the agent just spoke to had no idea. so i was on hold for about 25 minutes just get a simple answer. he came back with , there are no fixed tv screens, but tvs that come out of the arm rest. the bassinet is on the bulkhead. he said though there are still footwells and everything. I can't picture this. ANyoen have any experience in this seat?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
can anyone tell me what the seating experience is in seats 1A and B in 757-200 UA version? (16 biz first seats)

the agent just spoke to had no idea. so i was on hold for about 25 minutes just get a simple answer. he came back with , there are no fixed tv screens, but tvs that come out of the arm rest. the bassinet is on the bulkhead. he said though there are still footwells and everything. I can't picture this. ANyoen have any experience in this seat?
That's ridiculous. They are standard BF lie-flat seats with the TV screen. No idea about the bassinet anchoring, but I've done plenty of flights in these seats.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You seem confused about aircraft. The sCO 757 is the one with 16 BF seats. In any event, 1B is probably the worst seat in either BF cabin. It's right next to the galley and there's lots of lav traffic.

the agent just spoke to had no idea. so i was on hold for about 25 minutes just get a simple answer.?
I would never call UA for seat info. Check the website and the "where to sit" threads in this forum.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You seem confused about aircraft. The sCO 757 is the one with 16 BF seats. In any event, 1B is probably the worst seat in either BF cabin. It's right next to the galley and there's lots of lav traffic.

I would never call UA for seat info. Check the website and the "where to sit" threads in this forum.
I am confused Kacee. Thank you for noticing. Can you help me? Where is the bassinet?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
...In any event, 1B is probably the worst seat in either BF cabin.
I'm assuming the pmUA BF bulkhead (which I haven't flown) is the same as the bulkhead pmCO BF bulkhead seats. If so, then it would have the larger footwell - important to anyone who is tall if he/she is trying to sleep.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I am confused Kacee. Thank you for noticing. Can you help me? Where is the bassinet?
The bassinet is stored in the cabinet where the guy's foot is resting. These are seats 5A/B on the p.s. configuration 757, but similar configuration for the international sCO 757 for seats 1A/B.

Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I'm actually a big fan of row 1 in the 16J or rows 1 and 5 in the 28J because they have the wider footwells. To me that's the difference between a decent sleep and torture.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Plat
Wanted to share an experience on a recent PS flight from EWR to LAX. Aircraft change 3 hours before departure. Went from a pmUA w/ 28BF to pmCO w/ 16BF. Some not happy BF passengers. Got a $1000 cert off a W fare that I cleared an RPU on a booking. That is not main reason to post.

Turns out the UA crew originally assigned to the flight had to deadhead to LAX on the flight. United used a replacement standby crew due to the fact that the UA crew was not allowed to work a pmCO aircraft. What a crazing dysfunctional environment. The standby crew looked like they had graduated training about 2 hours before the departure. You could see that BF was going to be a mess since this was arguably the first time anyone on the crew had worked a BF product. I was sitting next to one of the UA crew members that was supposed to work the original flight. Wanted to report on the fact that there are some really good FA out there. After departure she took it upon herself to go up to BF and quarterback the BF meal service from the BF galley. Her only concern was to ensure a quality product for the BF passengers. There is hope and I hope that the attitude of this FA will become the norm. That would create an exceptional product.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I'm assuming the pmUA BF bulkhead (which I haven't flown) is the same as the bulkhead pmCO BF bulkhead seats. If so, then it would have the larger footwell - important to anyone who is tall if he/she is trying to sleep.
With the sCO seat, all bulkheads have the larger footwell.

But 1B is nonetheless a terrible seat IMO, especially for sleep. It opens directly on the galley in both ps configurations. The light and noise would make sleep impossible for me. Particularly on the 16BF aircraft, where you'll have the crew congregating and chatting right in front of you.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K
With the sCO seat, all bulkheads have the larger footwell.

But 1B is nonetheless a terrible seat IMO, especially for sleep. It opens directly on the galley in both ps configurations. The light and noise would make sleep impossible for me. Particularly on the 16BF aircraft, where you'll have the crew congregating and chatting right in front of you.
I can put eyeshades on to eliminate the light and earplugs in to eliminate the noise. I can't do anything about the smaller footwell. I therefore prefer 1B and since everybody has different points of view it makes the seat more available which is good for me.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LBDaveD
Wanted to share an experience on a recent PS flight from EWR to LAX. Aircraft change 3 hours before departure. Went from a pmUA w/ 28BF to pmCO w/ 16BF. Some not happy BF passengers. Got a $1000 cert off a W fare that I cleared an RPU on a booking. That is not main reason to post.

Turns out the UA crew originally assigned to the flight had to deadhead to LAX on the flight. United used a replacement standby crew due to the fact that the UA crew was not allowed to work a pmCO aircraft. What a crazing dysfunctional environment. The standby crew looked like they had graduated training about 2 hours before the departure. You could see that BF was going to be a mess since this was arguably the first time anyone on the crew had worked a BF product. I was sitting next to one of the UA crew members that was supposed to work the original flight. Wanted to report on the fact that there are some really good FA out there. After departure she took it upon herself to go up to BF and quarterback the BF meal service from the BF galley. Her only concern was to ensure a quality product for the BF passengers. There is hope and I hope that the attitude of this FA will become the norm. That would create an exceptional product.
That is a great story. There are some really good FAs out there. Nice to see them at work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.