Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Both are PS. My understanding (from the Domestic Widebodies thread, I think?) is that you can't book directly into GF on the 777. Instead, United will upgrade some people who have purchased BF at their discretion. Both receive the standard BF service - the only difference if you're in GF is the seat.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by em_attack
Both are PS. My understanding (from the Domestic Widebodies thread, I think?) is that you can't book directly into GF on the 777. Instead, United will upgrade some people who have purchased BF at their discretion. Both receive the standard BF service - the only difference if you're in GF is the seat.
Not sure if it's true anymore, but there was a time recently where the O (saver GF award) buckets were wide open ...

Aloha from OGG; connecting to SFO overnight. You can guess why I know about O being open.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold
From playing around with the united booking site, it did seem like I could book directly into BF either on the 757 or 777 flights. Are those the same internationally configured lie flat seats on both airplanes?

thanks...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RhoneRanger
From playing around with the united booking site, it did seem like I could book directly into BF either on the 757 or 777 flights. Are those the same internationally configured lie flat seats on both airplanes?

thanks...
Yes, both the 752s and the 772s being used on the route have lie-flat seats. There have been reports though where a plane gets subbed out for a plane with domestic recliners, but that has not happened as frequently as one might have feared (I think)...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
On the 777s that are running EWR-LAX, is GF treated as a separate cabin or part of the Business cabin? It's not 100% clear to me in the booking process. Thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by dmbfan222
On the 777s that are running EWR-LAX, is GF treated as a separate cabin or part of the Business cabin? It's not 100% clear to me in the booking process. Thanks!
You cannot book into GF. UA Insider noted that they will have a 'surprise and delight'-type program to upgrade people in BF to GF.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
Watch for I and R space when they first load the 789s on the schedule!
They're already in there! Booked a BF seat LAX-EWR last night for $1000 one-way. And when I went to book, every single BF seat was open in the seat map.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
They're already in there! Booked a BF seat LAX-EWR last night for $1000 one-way. And when I went to book, every single BF seat was open in the seat map.
Must depend when you are looking...I am checking out mid-June, and there are a good number of seats already booked. No R availability (if the MUA search is indeed returning the correct information). Also observing that EWR-LAX is running 2x 772s on Wednesdays and no 789s.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Must depend when you are looking...I am checking out mid-June, and there are a good number of seats already booked. No R availability (if the MUA search is indeed returning the correct information). Also observing that EWR-LAX is running 2x 772s on Wednesdays and no 789s.
July 6, 1:30PM flight. Lots of seats taken in E and E+, but I'm still the only assigned seat in BF, and P fare is still available.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
July 6, 1:30PM flight. Lots of seats taken in E and E+, but I'm still the only assigned seat in BF, and P fare is still available.
Yep, see similar availability for Friday flight back as well, with P fare available. I'm likely going to do a short RT out west; I may very well grab a seat there on the way back! Never had the chance to fly the 789 yet

I do wonder if the fact they are going to be flying the Dreamliner into EWR means they will have maintenance parts and could theoretically use this as a stepping stone to having Dreamliners down the road flying out of EWR.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Earlier last week I booked directly into BF on a 787 in mid-June using an RPU and purchasing an economy ticket. I grabbed it when I saw it as it was the only day I could see that availability and my travel is flexible.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:09 am

Yep, see similar availability for Friday flight back as well, with P fare available. I'm likely going to do a short RT out west; I may very well grab a seat there on the way back! Never had the chance to fly the 789 yet

I do wonder if the fact they are going to be flying the Dreamliner into EWR means they will have maintenance parts and could theoretically use this as a stepping stone to having Dreamliners down the road flying out of EWR.
I haven't flown it, either, so really looking forward to it! As far as flying 787 out of EWR, my understanding is that this is a temporary measure, and that there are no plans for ongoing 787 service in EWR.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Not sure if it's true anymore, but there was a time recently where the O (saver GF award) buckets were wide open ...

Aloha from OGG; connecting to SFO overnight. You can guess why I know about O being open.
You cannot book into GF. UA Insider noted that they will have a 'surprise and delight'-type program to upgrade people in BF to GF.
Any guidelines for those of us who booked into GF on these routes (when it was still possible to do so) and will now *only* be getting BF service - in terms of refunds or compensation?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Any guidelines for those of us who booked into GF on these routes (when it was still possible to do so) and will now *only* be getting BF service - in terms of refunds or compensation?
What was the price difference at the time of booking?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What was the price difference at the time of booking?
It was an award - so 35K miles one-way vs 25K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.