Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
UA really needs to up its game on these routes. Just flew AA and was blown away by the multi-course offerings, including a bread basket, separate appetizer course with choice of dressing and an ice cream sundae! And there were even slippers!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I wouldn’t like that as a traveler in Biz/First class. Keeping the PL strictly for F/C longhaul is the way to go.
I take it you've never been to the JFK FL, because it's really not an issue there. EWR Polaris would likely be overwhelmed though.

Originally Posted by JHake10
Flew AA JFK-SFO in Flagship Business for the first time and was pretty surprised. The Flagship lounge was nice with a thanksgiving type spread (flew on 11/26). The onboard service had a hot towel (first one I've gotten since the pandemic cut backs), and separately served courses. Maybe I had low expectations but I was impressed by AA. It also helps their pricing is better than UA most times.
AA is an easy call for me on premium t-cons. Unfortunately, their regular domestic product sucks pretty badly (as does UA's).
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
EWR Polaris would likely be overwhelmed though.
Given the frequency of the transcons from EWR, yup.

The new UC when it opens should help a bunch in EWR.... going to be the largest in the domestic system, supposedly.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Given the frequency of the transcons from EWR, yup.

The new UC when it opens should help a bunch in EWR.... going to be the largest in the domestic system, supposedly.
As just an occasional visitor to EWR, the UC situation in EWR is horrible right now. What looks to be an absolutely massive UC (based on all that tarp) can’t happen soon enough!

And yes the EWR and SFO PL would be uncomfortably loaded if they let in so many domestic passengers.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
As just an occasional visitor to EWR, the UC situation in EWR is horrible right now. What looks to be an absolutely massive UC (based on all that tarp) can’t happen soon enough!

And yes the EWR and SFO PL would be uncomfortably loaded if they let in so many domestic passengers.
Well, I live here and yes - the UC situation is bad. Has been for WAY too long. Heck, it was bad *before* they closed the C2 lounge to build the Polaris one.

So I'm really, really hopeful for some relief. If what I've heard about it is true, it should be gorgeous. Just the view alone should be worth the trip. (Though I've been staring at that skyline my entire life.. it's not exactly exciting for me, but for 99.99999% of the population, I'm sure it is.)
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I take it you've never been to the JFK FL, because it's really not an issue there. EWR Polaris would likely be overwhelmed though.

AA is an easy call for me on premium t-cons. Unfortunately, their regular domestic product sucks pretty badly (as does UA's).
It's true that I don't think I've ever seen an AA Flagship lounge that was overcrowded. I used to go often as a BA Gold member at LAX, JFK, MIA...

Lately I've been using Delta One premium transcon and overall pretty happy. At JFK I use the Amex Centurion lounge in the same terminal. And the DL SkyClubs at SFO and LAX are pretty decent.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by stimpy
Unless something has changed with COVID, OWE's from other OW airlines, seated in Y do get flagship access.
Other OW airlines that aren't AS.

With UA, on the 763 you get direct aisle access in J vs. 2-2 on AA. Otherwise, AA is better in all respects on the premium t-cons.
I'm starting to overlook the inferiority of the A321T 2-2 J vs. UA Polaris-type seats based on fact that pretty much every other aspect has been better on the AA transcons, at least in my experience.

Obviously the seat itself is significant and UA has the advantage there (752s excluded), but I actually got a better sleep on a recent AA transcon J red-eye thanks to full bedding provided vs. the light blanket that UA provides (which I never found to be very useful for anything BTW, even when it was part of the larger Saks bedding set).
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
Obviously the seat itself is significant and UA has the advantage there (752s excluded), but I actually got a better sleep on a recent AA transcon J red-eye thanks to full bedding provided vs. the light blanket that UA provides (which I never found to be very useful for anything BTW, even when it was part of the larger Saks bedding set).
The seat's considerably more spacious, and overall much newer and nicer, than UA's version. It's actually a nice ride when traveling as a couple. Flying solo, I'll upgrade to F for the single. I've had pretty good luck finding J seats even within days of departure for sub $900 OW, though it's necessary to be flexible on timing.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's true that I don't think I've ever seen an AA Flagship lounge that was overcrowded. I used to go often as a BA Gold member at LAX, JFK, MIA...

Lately I've been using Delta One premium transcon and overall pretty happy. At JFK I use the Amex Centurion lounge in the same terminal. And the DL SkyClubs at SFO and LAX are pretty decent.
The FL in LAX never seemed to get crowded (although if INTL I would have headed for the Qantas First lounge instead, unless I had a very short connection).

DL’s lounges in SFO and JFK are (or were, pre-covid) excellent. Delta One bedding is good.

Polaris bedding is good with the mattress pad and duvet - why on earth does United cheap out on p.s. flights and only provide the day blanket?

Really quite something that AA matches to be cheaper than UA on this route (including when they’re busy selling jetBlue tickets).
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2024 at 10:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.