Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
You are a better person than I am - I just HATE the middle 4 coffin seats and I avoid the PMUA birds at all costs on longhaul flights in J...
No argument on the middle 4, but for two people traveling together, I find an A/B or J/K pair tolerable. And I love the cushioning on that seat . . . honestly don't know another J seat that's better cushioned.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
The only thing worse - IMO - is the "proposed/theoretical" new design which I have dubbed the "snake-pit" - if we think things are tight now wait until UA tells us we can ALL have aisle access while still maintaining 8 across - we will all be snuggled up together like, well, hibernating snakes...
lol
I agree the leaked diagram was not encouraging, but have decided to withhold judgment until we see the actual hard product.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Kacee
No argument on the middle 4, but for two people traveling together, I find an A/B or J/K pair tolerable. And I love the cushioning on that seat . . . honestly don't know another J seat that's better cushioned.
Agree on the sides as a couple and padding - but the width of those seats - and I'm not a big guy - is really an issue for me - and someone climbing over you is so annoying....
Old May 10, 2016, 10:13 am

P.S. and 787?

I just booked award seats for next April in PS, LAX-EWR using Awards in BF, but I am not able to assign seats. It said "Seat Assigments are restricted for this flight, seats will be assigned at check-in" I called and was told that there may be that they are changing the PS to a 787. Has anyone heard of this? And while looking here, I see that some of the current flights have been 777? My res says it is 757-200, that is why I booked this flight. Smaller BF cabin. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks for the time!
Old May 10, 2016, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chooz2cruz
I just booked award seats for next April in PS, LAX-EWR using Awards in BF, but I am not able to assign seats. It said "Seat Assigments are restricted for this flight, seats will be assigned at check-in" I called and was told that there may be that they are changing the PS to a 787. Has anyone heard of this? And while looking here, I see that some of the current flights have been 777? My res says it is 757-200, that is why I booked this flight. Smaller BF cabin. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks for the time!
It will resolve eventually and you'll be able to select seats.

A 772 is much more likely than a 787. But I suppose it's possible.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:04 pm

Some of the PS flights are indeed going to the 772.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I called and was told that there may be that they are changing the PS to a 787. Has anyone heard of this? And while looking here, I see that some of the current flights have been 777? My res says it is 757-200, that is why I booked this flight. Smaller BF cabin. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks for the time!
UA is, at times, using various international equipped aircraft on the PS routes. The bulk are still the 16/28 seat BF 752s but multiple other aircraft 777s, 767s, .... are being used for some flight. Have not seen a 787 but quite possible. However on a regular basis the 787 is overkill capacity for the route if they continue the same frequency.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is, at times, using various international equipped aircraft on the PS routes. The bulk are still the 16/28 seat BF 752s but multiple other aircraft 777s, 767s, .... are being used for some flight. Have not seen a 787 but quite possible. However on a regular basis the 787 is overkill capacity for the route if they continue the same frequency.
The 787-9 have already been loaded. UA 1807 (the 130 pm LAX-EWR) on July 7, for example has.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
The 787-9 have already been loaded. UA 1807 (the 130 pm LAX-EWR) on July 7, for example has.
Its temporary. Its the 787-9 that's transferring to sUA next month.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Quick wi-fi question -

Flying tomorrow morning on UA 414 SFO-EWR in economy.

Amenties list says:

Wi-Fi and Entertainment: Wi-Fi access is available for purchase. Seatback on-demand entertainment is available, with hundreds of movies, television shows, video games, music and more.

Does this mean I cannot pre-buy a Gogo day pay online for $16? If not, how much can I expect wifi to cost for the flights.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kryssa

Amenties list says:

Wi-Fi and Entertainment: Wi-Fi access is available for purchase. Seatback on-demand entertainment is available, with hundreds of movies, television shows, video games, music and more.

Does this mean I cannot pre-buy a Gogo day pay online for $16? If not, how much can I expect wifi to cost for the flights.
UA414 SFO-EWR 11 May 2016 is 16BF 752 -- which does not use GoGo but rather the Panasonic satellite system

You will have your choice of price/time options, have not done that recently on that aircraft but generally cheaper than the GoGo flight -- but no pre-purchase option.
Old May 10, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA414 SFO-EWR 11 May 2016 is 16BF 752 -- which does not use GoGo but rather the Panasonic satellite system

You will have your choice of price/time options, have not done that recently on that aircraft but generally cheaper than the GoGo flight -- but no pre-purchase option.
Thanks for the info!
Old May 11, 2016, 12:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I am connecting inbound from the EU through EWR to SFO on the 777 on a P fare. I received an email 30 days in advance of the flight which said, "To thank you for your loyalty as a GOLD member, we have upgraded you to United Global First for your upcoming p.s. premium service flight."

Aside from the demotion of my 1K status, I was surprised at such an early upgrade, but happy to have a comfy seat for my trip.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kryssa

Amenties list says:

As long as it's a normal "ps" plane (pmUA 752), they use Gogo. And you can buy a day pass in advance.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:39 am

The legacy UAL side filed a grievience saying that they weren't property being allocated new Boeing 787 aircraft for their flight attendants. The company then said that they had indeed made a mistake.

Since it's only 1 airframe, it can't go international, so the company is throwing it onto the domestic transform network.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Recently flew my first PS flight and received a very cheap amenity kit... It looks and feels very cheap compared to the ones given out in GF/BF for International Flights. I was sorely disappointed.

Has this always been the case? I thought UA was investing in its 'new' amenity kits...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.