Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
This. It's what you need.... changes everything.
Does this thing work on the EMB175s as well? I tried to charge my iPhone earlier this week and it would not keep charging unless I pushed (hard) the plug into the outlet constantly. As soon as I would let go, it stopped charging.

I haven't had that problem on the Intl J and F seats.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Does this thing work on the EMB175s as well? I tried to charge my iPhone earlier this week and it would not keep charging unless I pushed (hard) the plug into the outlet constantly. As soon as I would let go, it stopped charging.

I haven't had that problem on the Intl J and F seats.
Yes - I haven't had a problem yet. The only seat that's been "tricky" is the older 737 F seats... the plug is a little recessed and can be tricky (but does work) ...
Old May 19, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by chooz2cruz
So, if it does end up being a 772, and it is a 3 class plane, then I will end up in BusinessFirst, and Not F. I am not happy about this, I booked it based on having the 757PS. Not happy with the much bigger plane, with possible rear-facing seating!
AFAIK, it will be one of the newly configured domestic 772s.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Booked EWR to SFO in August and back on 757s. I selected the 757, but was surprised to see the 777 offered. Just curious if anyone has preferences on seating of 4A/F or 7A/F on the 757. Specifically, I noticed that 4A/F was a little close to lav, but I like being in the last row of F/J. Seatguru has mixed reviews of row 4. In the spirit of full disclosure, I haven't been on PS since it was a three class offering, but I've had some really decent experiences with UA of late. Also, I'll be in NJ and really didn't want to trek out to JFK for DL's service. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Old May 22, 2016, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Booked EWR to SFO in August and back on 757s. I selected the 757, but was surprised to see the 777 offered. Just curious if anyone has preferences on seating of 4A/F or 7A/F on the 757. Specifically, I noticed that 4A/F was a little close to lav, but I like being in the last row of F/J. Seatguru has mixed reviews of row 4.
Avoid 4E/F. They are across from the lav. 4A/B are okay. I would avoid row 7 entirely.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by g-code
AFAIK, it will be one of the newly configured domestic 772s.
No it will not.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Kacee
Avoid 4E/F. They are across from the lav. 4A/B are okay. I would avoid row 7 entirely.
Thank you, Kacee; great to know, I'll stick with 4A on both flights. This is definitely one of the trips that I'm looking forward to this summer. It's been a long time since I've flown the PS route with UA.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
The facts
I am 1k
I have 2 L class tickets
I am flying with my wife she has no status.
On July 25th I am flying SAN-SFO-EWR-YQB
SFO-EWR flight has 4 rows of business first lie flats
It leaves a 9:40pm
I used 2 GPUs and was wait-listed

Now reading on an other site looks like only class of ticket now determines order of upgrade.

Looking at recent flight it looks like my odds of an upgrade are very slim to zero.

am I correct in this assumption?

I am wondering if I should do a SDC and try and leave from LAX or just give up on a lie flat and try for a normal business class seat earier in the day and sleep in a hotel near EWR.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Nimitz
The facts
I am 1k
I have 2 L class tickets
I am flying with my wife she has no status.
On July 25th I am flying SAN-SFO-EWR-YQB
SFO-EWR flight has 4 rows of business first lie flats
It leaves a 9:40pm
I used 2 GPUs and was wait-listed

Now reading on an other site looks like only class of ticket now determines order of upgrade.

Looking at recent flight it looks like my odds of an upgrade are very slim to zero.

am I correct in this assumption?

I am wondering if I should do a SDC and try and leave from LAX or just give up on a lie flat and try for a normal business class seat earier in the day and sleep in a hotel near EWR.
If you are on the same reservation, your priority will go by your 1K status until you decided to split the reservations. However, as a GS member, I can tell you that your chance of scoring one upgrade, let alone 2, on this route (especially with the smaller BF config.) is practically 0.

I often route through LAX for p.s. flights because there is often PN space, which suggests that upgrade space for 1Ks is also more likely.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I am connecting inbound from the EU through EWR to SFO on the 777 on a P fare. I received an email 30 days in advance of the flight which said, "To thank you for your loyalty as a GOLD member, we have upgraded you to United Global First for your upcoming p.s. premium service flight."

Aside from the demotion of my 1K status, I was surprised at such an early upgrade, but happy to have a comfy seat for my trip.
If GF is empty at T-24 hours, what happens to these seats? If I ask nicely at the UC and/or ask for a UFC will they move me up? Or will they be given as CPUs day-of?
Old May 28, 2016, 12:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by as219
If GF is empty at T-24 hours, what happens to these seats? If I ask nicely at the UC and/or ask for a UFC will they move me up? Or will they be given as CPUs day-of?
See UA Insider's statement in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-up-front.html
Old May 30, 2016, 8:35 pm

flying with wife EWR-SFO on S class fare on a 777 in the next week. I've used 2 RPUs and there currently seems to be 10 seats available in BF. What are the chances of an upgrade. It is my first time attempting to use an RPU.

I'm premier platinum.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
flying with wife EWR-SFO on S class fare on a 777 in the next week. I've used 2 RPUs and there currently seems to be 10 seats available in BF. What are the chances of an upgrade. It is my first time attempting to use an RPU.

I'm premier platinum.
Your status is of no-importance. It is the status of the traveler. {unless traveling on same PNR with a higher elite -- as corrected by a later poster -- missed the flying with}

The 777 business capacity is a good factor (40 or 50 BF seats) however PS flights have significant last minute purchases. I have seen 28 BF 752's go from 10+ empty seats to sold out in last week frequently. Status of the traveler is another factor. Nowadays on either 752s PS aircraft 1Ks clearing at the gate is iffy. But as a fallen 1K and Plat this year, my weekend 777 PS cleared at booking.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2016 at 1:37 am Reason: misread OP -- updated to reflect correction
Old May 30, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Your status is of no-importance. It is the status of the traveler.
He wrote that he's flying. Woudn't that make him the traveler?

EWRMAN, I'm sure you wanted an accurate and useful answer, so here it is:

Waitlist confirmation priority is based on the Premier status of the traveler. If the request includes multiple travelers, then priority is based on the highest Premier status on the reservation.
So your wife and you will be prioritized according to your Platinum status. Sadly, I would say that often isn't enough on P.S. flights. 10 seats on a 777 could easily go in a week. And that's assuming that you are looking at the actual fare buckets rather than the seating chart, which often shows more empty seat than are actually available. Even 1Ks miss upgrades on these flights regularly.

Last edited by porciuscato; May 30, 2016 at 9:59 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by porciuscato
He wrote that he's flying. Woudn't that make him the traveler?

EWRMAN, I'm sure you wanted an accurate and useful answer, so here it is:

So your wife and you will be prioritized according to your Platinum status. Sadly, I would say that often isn't enough on P.S. flights. 10 seats on a 777 could easily go in a week. And that's assuming that you are looking at the actual fare buckets rather than the seating chart, which often shows more empty seat than are actually available. Even 1Ks miss upgrades on these flights regularly.
+1 - agree with porcius - watch your upgrade offers closely - it may make sense to buy up if they give you a decent offer - that's a tough route for anyone - even GS - to get two seats on....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.