Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
I have booked two BusinessFirst tickets to South America from San Francisco this coming December. I had a few options for connecting in the US from South America back to SF on the return flight (mainly ORD and EWR). Both of those hubs only have economy class available right now. A few questions:

1) I chose to route through EWR because there are a LOT more Business First seats on each PS flight out of EWR than on the normal BusinessFirst flights out of ORD. Obviously, I hope this will increase my chances of a free seat up front becoming available. Is that sound logic? Can an international BusinessFirst award ticket include a PS flight in BusinessFirst?

2) Do I need to call United to ask them to waitlist me, or will they do that automatically? Does splitting the PNR on an award itinerary (there are two of us) improve upgrade chances for sat least one of us? (We are both Platinum)

Thanks.

John H
Old Apr 17, 2016, 6:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jh6000
... 1) I chose to route through EWR because there are a LOT more Business First seats on each PS flight out of EWR than on the normal BusinessFirst flights out of ORD. Obviously, I hope this will increase my chances of a free seat up front becoming available. Is that sound logic? ...
While there are more potential seats, the experience of I/IN space on PS flights is dismal.

...Can an international BusinessFirst award ticket include a PS flight in BusinessFirst? ...
yes

... 2) Do I need to call United to ask them to waitlist me, or will they do that automatically? ...
must call
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html

... Does splitting the PNR on an award itinerary (there are two of us) improve upgrade chances for sat least one of us? (We are both Platinum) ...
yes
Old Apr 17, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Lucky you! I booked LAX-EWR on the 789 on June 17. Booked into middle section, looking forward to the ride! I really hope there aren't any issues with IRROPS...
Am booked on that flight as well! Am in the first J section.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While there are more potential seats, the experience of I/IN space on PS flights is dismal.

yes

must call
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html

yes
Thanks so much
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Even R/RN space on PS flights is dismal, let alone I/IN.

Last week LAX-EWR, I failed upgrade using GPU under W fare.

#8 on upgrade list when biz was full.

Unless you are using GS instruments clearing to PN, forget about PS upgrades.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by kb1992

I was upgraded on PS last week as a Plat on a L fare using a RPU.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Am booked on that flight as well! Am in the first J section.
There's only one other person booked into middle-section J...so if that's you, I'm sitting next to you
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I cleared at the gate on a Sunday night (before President's Day) redeye as a Gold using a RPU.

Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fivesixseven
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I cleared at the gate on a Sunday night (before President's Day) redeye as a Gold using a RPU.
Scoring the upgrade is highly dependent on flight selection (with an element of luck thrown in). The days where a 1K could pretty much count on a ps upgrade are long gone.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
There's only one other person booked into middle-section J...so if that's you, I'm sitting next to you
Ah, I'm actually in a window seat!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fivesixseven
Originally Posted by 764toHI
FWIW, I have been monitoring midweek flights this week for a EWR-LAX trip and found the noon flights at lighter loads, than the morning ones.
Actually, UA 1182 for WE, shows RN3 R3.
Afternoon & evening flights seem to be in higher demand, probable due to TATL connection pax.

Also the current 1-daily 777 was showing P9s / PN9s, but no Rs sofar.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Have some first hand experience with the 777 service on the p.s. route this past weekend:

Outbound EWR - LAX: upgraded from coach to BF, upgrade cleared at booking.

Amenity kits were left on top of the pillow and blankets on the seat. Menu distributed after take-off.

The usual meal service in-flight, with trays delivered. No carts in the aisle. Same tray service for GF cabin as well, based on my view from 6B.

The FA claimed that because it was a 777, catering did not provide any personal bottled water. :|

Returning LAX - EWR: P fare in BF. One week before the flight, an e-mail from UA informed me that due to my 1K status, I was upgraded to GF. ^^ The cabin was full, as I could not switch to another seat. Same service as BF, other than bigger seats and slightly more attentive service from the purser.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 3:29 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by Kacee
Scoring the upgrade is highly dependent on flight selection (with an element of luck thrown in). The days where a 1K could pretty much count on a ps upgrade are long gone.
Oh the good oled a RPU or miles upgrade on PS Used to do mileage runs JFK-SFO-LAX 2 days in a row eat at hrveys in SF back to airport then lunch agai nex tday heading back to nyc

n
Old Apr 19, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL FO
looking at taking the 9:29pm EWR-SFO departure in BF in July. amenities say 'snack'

any idea of this is a glitch or will it indeed be a snack instead of the full meal service?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:13 am

Is UA Economy Plus from EWR-LAX any different from other routes?

On Delta, Comfort+ is treated almost as a separate class of service on transcon flights: you get free drinks and a meal, in addition to more attentive overall FA service. Is there any equivalent to this for United, or is the extra leg room the only benefit even on these routes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.