Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 2, 22, 2:24 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mechteach
Wiki Link
The Polaris Lounge is United's Business class lounge for passengers in premium cabins on long-haul flights only. It is separate from the United Club locations and the arrivals lounge in SFO.

Currently there are PLs in EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, SFO.

Quick Guide to "Do I get access?"

Are you in Polaris (Business) class on a long-haul United metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, Europe, Africa, French Polynesia, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access at all airports the same-day. It does not matter if your flights are on the same ticket or same cabin.
  • "Same-day" is ambiguous and is interpreted differently by different agents with respect to itineraries that include an overnight connection. YMMV and this thread has examples both ways.
  • No guests. Unless on F on a partner.
  • Though not stated by United, includes AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) when service begins.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on UA you get access in EWR and SFO
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on UA you get access in SFO and EWR, even if SFO-EWR is a separate Y ticket.

Are you in Business/First class on a long-haul *A partner metal flight to/from Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Africa, Middle East, or one of these South American countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Peru?
  • You get access only at the airport where the long-haul flight departs.
  • At other airports along your route, you may have access to the United Club or other *A lounges. See here: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread
  • Though not on United's stated list, access includes long-haul partner flights to Africa, Middle East, New Zealand, etc.
  • Guests: First Class (on flights with both First and Business cabins) only: you can bring 1 guest. Business class 0 guests.
  • Examples:
    • EWR-SFO-NRT, if SFO-NRT is on NH you get access only in SFO, not at EWR
    • NRT-SFO-EWR, if NRT-SFO is on NH you don't get any Polaris Lounge access because there is no Polaris Lounge in NRT, and you aren't eligible for SFO or EWR.

Are you on a United or partner short-haul international flight to/from Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia, or Ecuador?
Are you in Premium Economy, Economy Plus, or Economy on any flight?
  • You do not get access, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Are you on a United domestic flight, including P.S. flights EWR-LAX, EWR-SFO, BOS-SFO?
  • You do not get access to the Polaris Lounge, even if you're flying in First on a wide-body plane with lie-flat "Polaris" style seats, unless you are connecting to/from a flight that gets access as described above.

Can I get access through status, membership, one-time pass, or any other method?
  • No.

If eligible for access, who can I guest?
  • Only those accessing the PL as a 3-Class F passenger on a partner airline can guest 1 person.
  • Those in Polaris or qualifying International Business cannot guest another passenger.
  • If you are in an old Global First seat in United Polaris class, you cannot guest another passenger.

More info

UA website outlining access for Polaris Lounge access

Photo ID required?There have been numerous reports from all Polaris Lounges of a photo ID being requested upon entry. Apparently, there have been some attempts to enter the PL with another person's BP (such as a traveling companion's). Recently there are reports that only a passport (not driver's license) is accepted at some lounges.

Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAD Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & in-flight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 30, 22, 5:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by exp View Post
That sign is weird.

Which international destinations would be omitted?

As United states
  • United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, S„o Paulo and Santiago. All other international routes are United Businessģ and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
  • Access is not allowed for customers with discounted industry, airline or staff travel tickets, unless specifically stated.
  • Long-haul international flights include those from the U.S. to Asia, Australia, Europe and select South American countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Peru.
Africa / IST on a partner does qualify. "Short hual" does not

For partners, remember qualifying depends on the departing flight. So a departing short haul flight regardless of desitination is out.
Old Jan 31, 22, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
So it appears SFO-J-NRT-GUM gets Polaris Lounge access in SFO, but SFO-HNL-GUM does not.

Because of class of service, routing matters.
Old Jan 31, 22, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
So it appears SFO-J-NRT-GUM gets Polaris Lounge access in SFO, but SFO-HNL-GUM does not.

Because of class of service, routing matters.
Yes, SFO-NRT is marketed as Polaris. SFO-HNL and HNL-GUM are marketed as First and Business, respectively.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 22, 6:58 am

Programs: UA GS
Iím at the EWR Polaris lounge and being denied. 2/9 EWR-ORD-ATL
2/9 ATL-ORD-GRU Polaris business
so everything is same day but because itís separate reservations I canít use EWR Polaris
Old Feb 9, 22, 7:31 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ICN1K View Post
Iím at the EWR Polaris lounge and being denied. 2/9 EWR-ORD-ATL
2/9 ATL-ORD-GRU Polaris business
so everything is same day but because itís separate reservations I canít use EWR Polaris
Perhaps, you can ORD-GRU boarding pass at ORD PL to get into the PL there. You do not need to mention the separate tickets. Good luck.
Please report back.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 22, 9:21 am

Flying LHR-EWR Polaris
EWR-YYZ UA Business, on separate PNR.
Do I get access to PL in EWR ?
Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 22, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pihawkins View Post
Flying LHR-EWR Polaris
Thanks!
I donít think so since youíll have to clear US immigration when you arrive, then go through to C where I suspect youíll be denied because you are not connecting (ie on same ticket).
Old Feb 9, 22, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pihawkins View Post
Flying LHR-EWR Polaris
Thanks!
Yes, based on Polaris arrival. Other ticket is irrelevant, other than getting you back through security.
SPN Lifer and wpcoe like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 9, 22 at 10:36 am
Old Feb 22, 22, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Will united take a "checked in but this is not a boarding pass" document for Lufthansa to get in?

I'm flying DTW-ORD on one ticket (so I would end up secure airside at ORD)

However I cannot fully check in on ORD-FRA as it's a separate ticket that I have to check-in on LH, and it doesn't like me trying to upload my documents online.

I would prefer not to have to exit security, wait for check in to open, check in, then head back to the lounge. I'd rather stay airside and get my documents checked at the gate.

If it helped, my ticket is booked as a UA codeshare (and on 016 stock), so they could verify the record locator - I just don't have an actual pass for them to scan.

(Maybe they could go above and beyond and help get my documents verified by LH?)
Old Feb 22, 22, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme View Post
Will united take a "checked in but this is not a boarding pass" document for Lufthansa to get in? ....
Suggest reading Blogger denied entry to United Club (issue with LX "BP") (maybe starting at the end)
BThumme likes this.
Old Feb 22, 22, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Will united take a "checked in but this is not a boarding pass" document for Lufthansa to get in?

I'm flying DTW-ORD on one ticket (so I would end up secure airside at ORD)

However I cannot fully check in on ORD-FRA as it's a separate ticket that I have to check-in on LH, and it doesn't like me trying to upload my documents online.

I would prefer not to have to exit security, wait for check in to open, check in, then head back to the lounge. I'd rather stay airside and get my documents checked at the gate.

If it helped, my ticket is booked as a UA codeshare (and on 016 stock), so they could verify the record locator - I just don't have an actual pass for them to scan.

(Maybe they could go above and beyond and help get my documents verified by LH?)
I donít know if your strategy of getting docs checked at the gate is going to be successful. How much time do you have between these flights?
Old Feb 22, 22, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I don’t know if your strategy of getting docs checked at the gate is going to be successful. How much time do you have between these flights?
4 hours. Reading the above though, I think it's probably a fruitless effort. I'll just plan to leave security and wait for check in. I should have went down to DTW today to have an LH agent check us in there.
Old Feb 22, 22, 6:14 pm

4 hours. Reading the above though, I think it's probably a fruitless effort. I'll just plan to leave security and wait for check in. I should have went down to DTW today to have an LH agent check us in there.
Given that it's one ticket (different circumstance from the LX imbroglio), I would give it a try with just scanning your DTW-ORD BP at PL when you get to ORD. Worst case is they don't let you in, and you have to go watch UA BE pax check in for an hour or so.
Old Feb 22, 22, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Given that it's one ticket (different circumstance from the LX imbroglio), I would give it a try with just scanning your DTW-ORD BP at PL when you get to ORD. Worst case is they don't let you in, and you have to go watch UA BE pax check in for an hour or so.
Itís not one ticket though.
Old Feb 22, 22, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Itís not one ticket though.
You are correct, I misread.

Search this Thread