Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Kind of incentivizes hidden city ticketing, in a sense - you could access the Polaris lounge and then just walk out of the airport. That said, I would never take time in the lounge over time at home
Originally Posted by villox
At ORD they deployed technology that would detect situations where a person with eligible Polaris access entered the lounge but then didn't take an onward flight. I would not want to test this situation repeatedly.
I suspect the big concern is people purchasing refundable tickets, then canceling. That's a practice various airlines have cracked down on in the past, with remedies including billing the pax for the cost of lounge access (LH), revoking FFP membership (AC), or arrest (SQ).

HCT has its own distinct incentive (i.e., cheaper fares).
EWR764 likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; May 16, 2018 at 9:13 am
Old May 16, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At ORD they deployed technology that would detect situations where a person with eligible Polaris access entered the lounge but then didn't take an onward flight. I would not want to test this situation repeatedly.

I too cannot imagine going back through security just to spend time in the Polaris lounge after arriving on an int'l flight when I could be going home. They are nice, but not THAT nice.
I would guess the real hazard that technology is meant to address is booking (and cancelling) of a Polaris-eligible ticket that coincides in time with a non-Polaris-eligible ticket. I.e. someone is going through security anyway and fraudulently entered the lounge.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

That said, I would never take time in the lounge over time at home
careful...admitting that get you ran out of town by the FT mob.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
TPG provided the only report I've seen on it: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/11/fra...-lounge-entry/

It's from this company: http://aimslounge.com/
Thanks. I've often wondered how many people book last minute J tickets at ORD to get access to the lounge, only to cancel those tickets once inside the lounge. I'm positive it happens. I'm just not sure how often.

And does UA treat this the same as throw-away tickets? Do it once or maybe twice and all is good. Make it a habit and UA will close your FF# account? Surely if someone is buying last-minute J tickets, getting to the Polaris Lounge and then cancelling the "J" ticket doesn't qualify UA to cancel/close the FF account?

-RM
Old May 16, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Thanks. I've often wondered how many people book last minute J tickets at ORD to get access to the lounge, only to cancel those tickets once inside the lounge. I'm positive it happens. I'm just not sure how often.

And does UA treat this the same as throw-away tickets? Do it once or maybe twice and all is good. Make it a habit and UA will close your FF# account? Surely if someone is buying last-minute J tickets, getting to the Polaris Lounge and then cancelling the "J" ticket doesn't qualify UA to cancel/close the FF account?

-RM
I'd be betting that UA is most concerned with those booking last minute refundable J tickets who already have other travel pre-booked for the same day. To me, that would be a pretty clear indication that they never intended to fly the refundable J ticket, especially if they flew their originally booked flight. I would certainly hope UA would clamp down on this type of fraudulent behavior.

On the flipside, I doubt many people are showing up to the airport just for a lounge with no other travel planned, so someone who books a standalone J ticket, only to cancel it later may have a few more 'chances' before a crackdown.

Not saying I'd be willing to gamble with either
Old May 16, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

-RM
I think that's exactly the type of ticketing behavior that will be flagged, and the passenger will be "watched" carefully...
Old May 16, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes. "Buy ticket, scan at lounge, cancel ticket" is a really easy pattern to search for in a database. I'm not aware of any highly publicized incidents, but they definitely do track this sort of thing.

There's a precedent of LH suing someone (and winning in court) for doing something similar (he changed his ticket something like 235 times to go to the lounge each day).
Old May 16, 2018, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

-RM
Originally Posted by findark
Yes. "Buy ticket, scan at lounge, cancel ticket" is a really easy pattern to search for in a database. I'm not aware of any highly publicized incidents, but they definitely do track this sort of thing.
I think this happens more frequently than normal thinking people would expect: 59 People Have Been Arrested in Singapore This Year for Misusing Boarding Passes

What's notable to me about this story is not just that they will arrest you for it in Singapore, but the sheer number of people who are doing it (and getting caught).
Old May 16, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, United Club, IHG Ambassador/Spire
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think this happens more frequently than normal thinking people would expect: 59 People Have Been Arrested in Singapore This Year for Misusing Boarding Passes

What's notable to me about this story is not just that they will arrest you for it in Singapore, but the sheer number of people who are doing it (and getting caught).
Majority of those arrested were for misusing their boarding passes to catch a glimpse and get close to their idols (korean/taiwan/hongkong idols)
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Sitting in Classified at EWR right now because the pop up lounge at C124 was completely full. Can't wait for the Polaris lounge to be open, will be nice to check out.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I'd be betting that UA is most concerned with those booking last minute refundable J tickets who already have other travel pre-booked for the same day. To me, that would be a pretty clear indication that they never intended to fly the refundable J ticket, especially if they flew their originally booked flight. I would certainly hope UA would clamp down on this type of fraudulent behavior.

On the flipside, I doubt many people are showing up to the airport just for a lounge with no other travel planned, so someone who books a standalone J ticket, only to cancel it later may have a few more 'chances' before a crackdown.

Not saying I'd be willing to gamble with either
Then there is this exception lol

https://nypost.com/2014/01/29/man-us...ee-for-a-year/
Old May 31, 2018, 12:19 am

I went to the wiki earlier that had the tables with the various X's in the departing, connect and arrival for Polaris Lounge access and am a little confused. I've been flying EWR -> SFO -> TPE regularly and glad that the SFO lounge is open for me to use but with EWR opening up I'm not sure if I have access to the Polaris Lounge at EWR? EWR -> SFO is United Business and SFO -> TPE is Polaris Business. Further clarification EWR->SFO->TPE are all same day travels under the same booking/itinerary. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old May 31, 2018, 12:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ssh4pooh
I went to the wiki earlier that had the tables with the various X's in the departing, connect and arrival for Polaris Lounge access and am a little confused. I've been flying EWR -> SFO -> TPE regularly and glad that the SFO lounge is open for me to use but with EWR opening up I'm not sure if I have access to the Polaris Lounge at EWR? EWR -> SFO is United Business and SFO -> TPE is Polaris Business. Further clarification EWR->SFO->TPE are all same day travels under the same booking/itinerary. Anyone know the answer to this?
Yes, if flying UA Polaris, connecting cities qualify, in this case EWR.
ssh4pooh likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know the approximate opening date for the Polaris Lounge in LAX? I know its stated as Fall'18 but does anyone have any insight as to which mth in 2018? Am flying on a J ticket out of LAX and would love to see the lounge if its opened.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
Does anyone know the approximate opening date for the Polaris Lounge in LAX? I know its stated as Fall'18 but does anyone have any insight as to which mth in 2018? Am flying on a J ticket out of LAX and would love to see the lounge if its opened.
Reliable opening dates for SFO, EWR and hopefully IAH did not surfaced until about a month out from opening. Suspect UA has something in mind as far as a date but constructions are such they will likely keep it vague until closer in.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lonsinla
If it's worth anything, the exterior of construction area looks the same this week as it did in December. To me that suggests they haven't finished planning the lounge. As WineCountryUA noted, the credible announcement tends to come about a month before actual opening. I definitely hope it is open by fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.