Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by behyx
Anyone knows what is the size of Polaris Lounge in LAX? Is it larger or smaller than SFO's?
It will be considerably smaller, but LAX will have maybe 1/5 as many eligible passengers as SFO.

I'm transiting in West Coast for a August 2019 flight on UA J (B789 which I presume is Polaris?).
No, that aircraft will not have the Polaris seat.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by fumje
It will be smaller than SFO, occupying an expanded footprint of the former United Club above gate 74/5. There are also fewer Polaris Lounge-eligible flights from LAX, so if your question about size is as pertains to crowding — that remains to be seen.

I assume they can't manage to delay the Lounge open for LAX all the way to Aug 2019, but it is quite far behind the schedule they first stated. At one time it was supposed to be open already.

That last concern aside, I would choose LAX, as you don't have to worry about fog so much, and perhaps the seated dining experience at LAX will surpass that of SFO. It's hard to imagine how it wouldn't.
Thanks! Yes I am most looking forward to the seated dining experience. Why is it that LAX would surpass SFO?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It will be considerably smaller, but LAX will have maybe 1/5 as many eligible passengers as SFO.

No, that aircraft will not have the Polaris seat.
Thanks. I just saw that the 789 doesn’t have the new Polaris seats. But when I make a dummy booking on UA website, it says ‘Polaris’. Does that means Polaris will be printed on my boarding pass hence access granted to Polaris lounge? Any 789 J pax flying out of SFO can confirm this?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks! Yes I am most looking forward to the seated dining experience. Why is it that LAX would surpass SFO?
SFO is a bit weak in that regard (mainly the service). The other lounges are all better. Perhaps SFO will improve, though.

Thanks. I just saw that the 789 doesn’t have the new Polaris seats. But when I make a dummy booking on UA website, it says ‘Polaris’. Does that means Polaris will be printed on my boarding pass hence access granted to Polaris lounge? Any 789 J pax flying out of SFO can confirm this?
'Polaris' is used as a brand name for the class of service, not the seat or equipment (although on FT there is a tendency to refer to the new seat the Polaris seat, as it was introduced at the same time and as a signature element of the new Polaris brand — yes, that can be confusing). The Boarding Pass will say Polaris, and you will have access to all Polaris Lounges, regardless of which seat is actually on your aircraft.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
"Polaris" is the brand label for United long-haul international business class. If your flight is labeled "Polaris" you will have Polaris lounge access. It has nothing to do with the aircraft you're flying on.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
"Polaris" is the brand label for United long-haul international business class. If your flight is labeled "Polaris" you will have Polaris lounge access. It has nothing to do with the aircraft you're flying on.
Yes, and for most of 2017 the ongoing joke was that ORD had the only Polaris lounge but had not had a Polaris (seat) fitted plane fly from there. That finally ended in November last year when the first retrofitted 763 flew ORD-LHR; the first time a Polaris fitted plane had flown from an airport with a Polaris lounge.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Asked at the LAX UC (just arrived on UA99 in polaris) word is "Mid December"

Thank goodness for the *A lounge in TBIT
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

Yes, and for most of 2017 the ongoing joke was that ORD had the only Polaris lounge but had not had a Polaris (seat) fitted plane fly from there. That finally ended in November last year when the first retrofitted 763 flew ORD-LHR; the first time a Polaris fitted plane had flown from an airport with a Polaris lounge.
I guess that one could see this disconnect as a way of spreading bits and pieces of the Polaris experience across the system. some pax get a Polaris lounge, but no Polaris pod. Others get a Polaris pod, but no Polaris lounge. And some, say those flying LAX to SYD or MEL, get neither, for another month or so.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
It will be considerably smaller, but LAX will have maybe 1/5 as many eligible passengers as SFO....
Plus there's the existing Star Alliance lounge at TBIT that's already handling most of the other *A flight passengers. The lounge space should be pretty decent considering how much more they're expanding out from the original GFL footprint. The lounge situation (UC plus Polaris Lounge, once it opens) should be the best of UA hubs, in terms of crowds. I'm thinking the LAX PL catering will top SFO's - just a uninformed hunch.

OT - LAX UC had an egg scramble and some sort of tuna salad out at breakfast Saturday morning. Didn't try it because I overdid food/drink at HH gathering in Honolulu the night before, but eggs looked like they needed some serious salsa...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 18, 2018 at 1:51 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Perhaps there will be a lot of connecting passengers who would be eligible? E.g. flying LAX-ORD/SFO/IAD/EWR-INTL destination? I agree that the number of passengers who will be originating in LAX for a direct international flight will be much lower.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Perhaps there will be a lot of connecting passengers who would be eligible? E.g. flying LAX-ORD/SFO/IAD/EWR-INTL destination? I agree that the number of passengers who will be originating in LAX for a direct international flight will be much lower.
Yes, there will be connecting pax, but SFO has more of those, too. It's just a much higher volume hub for UA.

Also, the Polaris lounge SFO supports most of the other *A carriers, including NH, BR, SQ, LH, LX, etc. Won't be the case at LAX. LAX can get by with a considerably smaller lounge.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
On 13 Nov arrived on UA 99 Polaris went to LAX UC was told LAX Polaris Lounge opening: 1st. Week in Dec.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Asked at the LAX UC (just arrived on UA99 in polaris) word is "Mid December"

Thank goodness for the *A lounge in TBIT
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
On 13 Nov arrived on UA 99 Polaris went to LAX UC was told LAX Polaris Lounge opening: 1st. Week in Dec.

Hopefully December at some point...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
I think you and I had same thought: "How awesome would it be it if were open now!"

It is shameful a non *G can not get a shower in LAX on arrival on Polaris.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Well all I care is that the LAX Polaris Lounges opens on or before the 12/14.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.