Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Any idea if I will have access to Polaris if flying EWR-YVR on AC’s 789 in J or not?

I would say with 99.9% certainty it will be a 'no', since transborder AC J was specifically excluded from the ORD Polaris Lounge over a year ago after initial reports that an ORD-YYZ AC business class ticket would get access.

AC operates out of the A-1 concourse at EWR, which does not have secure-side bus service from C, and with an MLL at EWR, I doubt AC would entertain setting up special PL access for its 'Signature Service' pax.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Chatted with a United Club bartender at EWR this week. Training for Polaris "Mixologists" starts in a week or two (I can't remember exactly what was said...blame the gin ), and EWR PL still slotted to open early June.

Also said hardly any UC staff want to make the move. Combination of losing seniority, as well as rumors from ORD that pay would actually go down due to lack of tipping at Polaris lounge.... From what I have heard, probably true.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
I would say with 99.9% certainty it will be a 'no'.....
So, you're saying there IS a chance!
EWR764 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Also said hardly any UC staff want to make the move. Combination of losing seniority, as well as rumors from ORD that pay would actually go down due to lack of tipping at Polaris lounge.... From what I have heard, probably true.
Talk about perverse incentives. I would think going to a much nicer workspace with better ‘tools of the trade’ would be something to look forward to. The pay thing sounds like another brilliant idea of Kirby’s...just make it a no-tipping establishment (which a lot of NYC-area food spots already do) and pay your people more.
zeer0 likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I would think going to a much nicer workspace with better ‘tools of the trade’ would be something to look forward to...
Not if you're then suddenly expected to smile and be generally pleasant.
This is EWR after all.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by narvik
Not if you're then suddenly expected to smile and be generally pleasant.
This is EWR after all.
True
Old May 12, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Talk about perverse incentives. I would think going to a much nicer workspace with better ‘tools of the trade’ would be something to look forward to. The pay thing sounds like another brilliant idea of Kirby’s...just make it a no-tipping establishment (which a lot of NYC-area food spots already do) and pay your people more.
The bartender I spoke with was making the move. Low on the UC seniority list, and was excited about working in the new lounge. They will be paid significantly higher wage then UC base wage, but probably not enough to make up for the lack of tips...assuming the EWR club follows the same history as ORD.

Don't know if it will make a significant difference having only United metal flying out of C, where the lounge is located? As compared with ORD B/C terminal, with LH / NH making up a significant portion of the clientele.
Old May 12, 2018, 11:45 am

Good news that they're starting the training sessions...and I know they've been advertising job openings for EWR Polaris Lounge...but (bad news for me), with training starting in a week or so, doesn't sound as if doors will be open on June 5th?
Any further updates from EWR passengers would be appreciated!!!
Old May 12, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
The bartender I spoke with was making the move. Low on the UC seniority list, and was excited about working in the new lounge. They will be paid significantly higher wage then UC base wage, but probably not enough to make up for the lack of tips...assuming the EWR club follows the same history as ORD.

Don't know if it will make a significant difference having only United metal flying out of C, where the lounge is located? As compared with ORD B/C terminal, with LH / NH making up a significant portion of the clientele.
I always tip at the Polaris at ORD. Why would anyone not tip?
Ceres likes this.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by manstein58

Same reason as anywhere else - poor service. Last time I was through the PL in ORD, the server forgot my dessert order. No bread pudding for me, no tip for them.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by manstein58
Because they don't come from a country with a tipping culture?

Also, while I appreciate tipping the bartender for a cocktail or other alcoholic beverage, I'm resistant to tipping for an espresso. Especially where the bartender is rude/slow/indifferent (as he was when I visited SFO last week).
Old May 13, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Kacee
Because they don't come from a country with a tipping culture?

Also, while I appreciate tipping the bartender for a cocktail or other alcoholic beverage, I'm resistant to tipping for an espresso. Especially where the bartender is rude/slow/indifferent (as he was when I visited SFO last week).
Exactly - I've gotten used to not tipping after living in Asia for the past 4+ years, and every time I go back to the US I find it amazing how people are expecting upwards of 20% for a tip now?????? That's insane. What happened to tipping for good service not because it's "expected"....

Chatted with a United Club bartender at EWR this week. Training for Polaris "Mixologists" starts in a week or two (I can't remember exactly what was said...blame the gin ), and EWR PL still slotted to open early June.

Why would they lose seniority?

I would imagine the real reason is the same why many UA flight attendants don't want to work the front cabin - it's extra work and they don't want to do it.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
Why would they lose seniority?

I would imagine the real reason is the same why many UA flight attendants don't want to work the front cabin - it's extra work and they don't want to do it.
I don't know for sure, but probably because they will be working for a different organization. Regardless of the reason, I was told that is the way it would work.

And actually, the bartender I spoke with was pretty excited to have access to better booze, mixers, etc. They really get bored at the UC I think. Only so exciting to pour draft beers and G&Ts all day.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
"Tipping"

The subject of tipping while we travel on UA, and particular tipping of bartenders in lounges, is a regular subject. However, it tends to morph into a discussion of the "American culture of tipping." The former is relevant to the UA forum but the latter which tends to quickly dominates a thread is better for other forums, such as Should I tip?

The topic of this thread is the timeline for future Polaris Lounges.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 15, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS
TPG is reporting that the EWR lounge will be opening on June 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.