Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They better.

I have June TPAC to TPE on BR departing at 1 AM.

Though even if they're open, what are the odds they will offer dining that late?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by wco81
They better.

I have June TPAC to TPE on BR departing at 1 AM.

Though even if they're open, what are the odds they will offer dining that late?
Probably pretty good? There are like 3-4 *A long haul widebodies that leave in the early morning.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Polaris access rules state "long haul" but does anyone know if IAH-BOG (Bogota, Colombia) grant access to Polaris? It's ticketed as "United Business", however if I go by Polaris access rules- S. America should qualify. Thanks

PS. this is regarding SFO access for my outbound connecting flt
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by globetraveler
Polaris access rules state "long haul" but does anyone know if IAH-BOG (Bogota, Colombia) grant access to Polaris? It's ticketed as "United Business", however if I go by Polaris access rules- S. America should qualify. Thanks
For UA operated flights, Polaris lounge access requires a Polaris business (or Polaris first) flight. BOG is not Polaris.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:07 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM

PS. this is regarding SFO access for my outbound connecting flt
I am not sure about the UA Business class issue, but if it were full Polaris, then we might expect it to follow the access rules found in the wiki here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-2016-a-7.html
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
For UA operated flights, Polaris lounge access requires a Polaris business (or Polaris first) flight. BOG is not Polaris.
It looks like UA just added new T&C's on the website:

1United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to the southernmost South American destinations: Lima, Santiago de Chile, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, and Rio de Janeiro. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.

IMO: I get restricting Canada/Mexico/Caribbean, but restricting a $3K ticket to Colombia sounds dumb
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I get restricting Canada/Mexico/Caribbean, but restricting a $3K ticket to Colombia sounds dumb
The categorization of the Northern South America routes is absurd. They've been GPU-only for several years now, but you don't even get a pillow.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nigos
Access to Polaris after arrival on international flight will be no different than the current situation at ORD. You need to have an onward connection or a gate pass for clearing TSA security.
So, even though Polaris Lounge access is stated as:

"Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing."

your saying that an arrival on a Polaris Business class ticket from MUC - SFO would not have access? You mention a "gate pass", what is that referring to? Pardon me for the basic questions, but kinda new to all the lounges and international travel. I've got the MUC - SFO flight coming up on the 12th of May and was excited about the access as per stated on United's website. But, I am unfamiliar with the layout of SFO, so maybe I getting my hopes up for no reason?

Thanks for the help...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
So, even though Polaris Lounge access is stated as:

"Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing."

your saying that an arrival on a Polaris Business class ticket from MUC - SFO would not have access? You mention a "gate pass", what is that referring to? Pardon me for the basic questions, but kinda new to all the lounges and international travel. I've got the MUC - SFO flight coming up on the 12th of May and was excited about the access as per stated on United's website. But, I am unfamiliar with the layout of SFO, so maybe I getting my hopes up for no reason?

Thanks for the help...
To access the lounge you need to reclear security after going through customs. You need a connecting boarding pass to do so. Or a gate pass issues by the airline but not sure UA will give you one.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:05 pm

your saying that an arrival on a Polaris Business class ticket from MUC - SFO would not have access?
You will clear immigration, reclaim your baggage, and clear customs at SFO and wind up landside. There is no way to clear security and get back airside (i.e., to the lounge or departure gates) unless you have an onward flight or a gate pass (and I don't believe UA will give you one of those just to access the lounge).
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You will clear immigration, reclaim your baggage, and clear customs at SFO and wind up landside. There is no way to clear security and get back airside (i.e., to the lounge or departure gates) unless you have an onward flight or a gate pass (and I don't believe UA will give you one of those just to access the lounge).
Originally Posted by Ryu2

To access the lounge you need to reclear security after going through customs. You need a connecting boarding pass to do so. Or a gate pass issues by the airline but not sure UA will give you one.
uhgg! Why do you think they list arrival airports as a valid lounge access point then? Just curious.

Also, I guess since all US tickets have a 24 h cancelation window, could you not just buy a ticket, pass security and then cancel ticket?

Any accounts of people asking for gate passes for lounge access at SFO or other airports with success? Seems I came across a a thread about gates passes for UC access? I could be way off though...
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I think I know the answer but just double checking, if I fly SIN-LAX-SFO-OMA all on UA J, i’ll have access to the SFO Polaris lounge right?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
uhgg! Why do you think they list arrival airports as a valid lounge access point then? Just curious.

Also, I guess since all US tickets have a 24 h cancelation window, could you not just buy a ticket, pass security and then cancel ticket?

Any accounts of people asking for gate passes for lounge access at SFO or other airports with success? Seems I came across a a thread about gates passes for UC access? I could be way off though...

If you got a gate pass you would have to do something with your luggage

the reason that clause is there is for connecting flights, they kind of assume if SFO is your final you aren't going to hang out in the secure area of the airport to get a free brunch

Also, if you arrive in SFO and connect to ORD, you clear customs, recheck bags and go thru security, you could access PL in SFO and ORD as you are arriving (Assuming you arrived on UA metal) along same day travel and once in ORD you are let off in the general airport terminal and can access lounge until you leave to collect your bags.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In theory that should work. However, airlines frown on that, and if United happens to notice, they're unlikely to be happy with you.

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I think I know the answer but just double checking, if I fly SIN-LAX-SFO-OMA all on UA J, i’ll have access to the SFO Polaris lounge right?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Also, if you arrive in SFO and connect to ORD, you clear customs, recheck bags and go thru security, you could access PL in SFO and ORD as you are arriving (Assuming you arrived on UA metal) along same day travel and once in ORD you are let off in the general airport terminal and can access lounge until you leave to collect your bags.
Right, or even something like FCO-EWR-SFO.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Also, you should note that these new lounges have been rumored to have technology to detect that kind of ticket use and crack down on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.