Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by warrenw

Now - many delays can be mitigated, it just depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Given the cutbacks we’ve seen in the Polaris soft product on board, I think we all know the answer to whether UA is willing to spend extra money on something that benefits the customer.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by halls120

Given the cutbacks we’ve seen in the Polaris soft product on board, I think we all know the answer to whether UA is willing to spend extra money on something that benefits the customer.
Other than removing a pillow which they did because we wanted them to and sporadic unavailability of the wine flights, what have they cut?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
Other than removing a pillow which they did because we wanted them to and sporadic unavailability of the wine flights, what have they cut?
I answered this on one of the other 7 threads about this topic....

Lounges watered down (Although probably a good thing) in that Int'l J tickets on AC no longer qualify for access
On plane experience:
Already removed one pillow
Wine flights are incredibly sporadic at best
Gel pillows are hard to come by (At first they were hard to find (FA's weren't sure where they were or what they were) now they are plain scarce
Mattress Pads are also scarce
Sundaes - enough said - paper cups - really
Plane conversions are going horribly slow

In general not a SINGLE lounge has opened in 2017 - which means as of next week it will be 13 months and counting since the Chicago Polaris Lounge opened and nothing else has been opened on the lounge front - that to me is a huge "Watering Down"

But, I mean other than that, Polaris is a HUGE success
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:30 am

I would say sporadic availability of wine flights, as my Polaris flights in late 2017 were far different than in December 2016 when Polaris was rolled out. Wine lists with boarded wines disappeared - no doubt in order to hide the fact that they had started serving lower quality wines. Subtle cutbacks in the quality and selection of food - my last Polaris flight, two of the entrees had fava beans as the side dish. What, UA can't be bothered to have 4 different dishes?

They did keep the chocolate with the PDB drink, so I guess we should cut them some slack.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I answered this on one of the other 7 threads about this topic....

Lounges watered down (Although probably a good thing) in that Int'l J tickets on AC no longer qualify for access
On plane experience:
Already removed one pillow
Wine flights are incredibly sporadic at best
Gel pillows are hard to come by (At first they were hard to find (FA's weren't sure where they were or what they were) now they are plain scarce
Mattress Pads are also scarce
Sundaes - enough said - paper cups - really
Plane conversions are going horribly slow

In general not a SINGLE lounge has opened in 2017 - which means as of next week it will be 13 months and counting since the Chicago Polaris Lounge opened and nothing else has been opened on the lounge front - that to me is a huge "Watering Down"

But, I mean other than that, Polaris is a HUGE success
You’re mixing slow rollout with cutbacks. Sorry but I have seen no evidence of anything but tweaks to the Polaris soft product in response to actual experience on the planes. I have only had one flight in all of 2018 where I wasn’t able to get a wine flight (because they had only boarded 2 reds). Batting 100% on mattress pads and gel pillows when I asked (and it’s excusable if they’ve had some problems keeping gel pillows in stock given how many are stolen). The sundae paper cups aren’t a cost cutting measure, it probably costs them more to use them while they seek out an alternative.

Polaris on the whole (especially when you consider the lounge experience at ORD) is still a massive upgrade over what we had before even without the new seats.
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:28 am

Polaris on the whole (especially when you consider the lounge experience at ORD) is still a massive upgrade over what we had before even without the new seats.
An upgrade, yes. "Massive," not, at least until they restore decent wines and have more than one Polaris lounge.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:13 am

You’re mixing slow rollout with cutbacks. Sorry but I have seen no evidence of anything but tweaks to the Polaris soft product in response to actual experience on the planes. I have only had one flight in all of 2018 where I wasn’t able to get a wine flight (because they had only boarded 2 reds). Batting 100% on mattress pads and gel pillows when I asked (and it’s excusable if they’ve had some problems keeping gel pillows in stock given how many are stolen). The sundae paper cups aren’t a cost cutting measure, it probably costs them more to use them while they seek out an alternative.

My last trip to PL was 2 days before the expansion, and I couldn't even get a table to eat. All but one trip I haven't been able to eat, although i try to avoid ORD for Int'l trips, i went thru there 4-5 times this year. EWR, OTOH, I can't even get into a lounge with decent food at ALL, PERIOD. I was just there 2 weeks ago and nothing, nada, zip, zero. This is 18 months after the announcement and 1 year and 2 weeks after the rollout of PL in Chicago.

Yes, my statement above covered more than you were talking about as I said I cut/pasted from a different thread

Yes, I agree people who steal gel pillows should find a special place in airport hell (not real hell as that is overkill) but maybe 10 transfers in PEK type of hell. Same for all the assclowns I see stuffing the bedding into their giant oversized roller bags.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
My last trip to PL was 2 days before the expansion, and I couldn't even get a table to eat. All but one trip I haven't been able to eat, although i try to avoid ORD for Int'l trips, i went thru there 4-5 times this year. EWR, OTOH, I can't even get into a lounge with decent food at ALL, PERIOD. I was just there 2 weeks ago and nothing, nada, zip, zero. This is 18 months after the announcement and 1 year and 2 weeks after the rollout of PL in Chicago.

Yes, my statement above covered more than you were talking about as I said I cut/pasted from a different thread

Yes, I agree people who steal gel pillows should find a special place in airport hell (not real hell as that is overkill) but maybe 10 transfers in PEK type of hell. Same for all the assclowns I see stuffing the bedding into their giant oversized roller bags.
Reminds me of the old joke, “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

I really do believe the soft product is a massive upgrade from before. The bedding is awesome. The table linens and plates are much nicer. The food options are more varied. The extra desserts are very welcome (the ex-Europe macarons have probably added an inch to my waist this year). There are more midflight snack options. The lounge is incredible but too popular and obviously delayed the rollout of the others.

I just don’t see where the argument can be made that United has cut back in a meaningful way from what they first offered to save costs. I will give you that the wines suck (and in some cases are undrinkable).

I would not be surprised to see cutbacks in Polaris lounges when the others open - I still can’t believe they serve Veuve and the other top shelf liquors and wines. That would seem an obvious area to save costs if they needed to.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:43 am

Reminds me of the old joke, “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded.”

I really do believe the soft product is a massive upgrade from before. The bedding is awesome. The table linens and plates are much nicer. The food options are more varied. The extra desserts are very welcome (the ex-Europe macarons have probably added an inch to my waist this year). There are more midflight snack options. The lounge is incredible but too popular and obviously delayed the rollout of the others.

I just don’t see where the argument can be made that United has cut back in a meaningful way from what they first offered to save costs. I will give you that the wines suck (and in some cases are undrinkable).

I would not be surprised to see cutbacks in Polaris lounges when the others open - I still can’t believe they serve Veuve and the other top shelf liquors and wines. That would seem an obvious area to save costs if they needed to.
Maybe I look at it differently, I will give you the PL haven't had "Cutbacks" per se as I don't think anything has changed. To me, once the overcrowding issue was known (ie last January, the 12 months it took to open an extra 25 feet was absolutely crazy) there should have been a CONCENTRATED effort to increase the tempo of not only fixing Chicago, but rolling out the others.

The nonchalant method of roll out to me constitutes a cutback. I can see where others wouldn't look at it this way. To me it gives the attitude UA doesn't care. I am fine with that as I have also taken the attitude to shift almost all of my Int'l flying to others. I figure that is fair, I care about them as much I deem they care about me. I still book on 016 stock as i enjoy the PQD and the corresponding miles and rewards. *A is light years ahead of the other 2 for my personal travel plans.

I also do not drink per se - so I don't know the difference between top notch scotch and house brands. That being said they have so many different wines on board that the wine flights help me not only decide what i want with dinner, but they also help to educate me for the future. I do usually have a glass of wine with dinner and go right to sleep like a baby.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:04 am

Serving swill instead of good wine isn't a way to save money? When Polaris was rolled out at the end of 2016, the wines were a distinct improvement over the post merger swill. We're now back to pre-merger dreck. If they aren't saving appreciable $$, something is wrong.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Polaris is a total joke. The salad size keeps getting smaller. No new lounges in 2017. Timelines keep continuously changing without explanation. Lounges crowded during yearlong no end in sight construction periods. This airline seems to be the only one to overpromise and under deliver on a routine basis.

One "subtle" cut after the next. How is it that almost every other global carrier somehow managed to do all aisle access in a timely manner, and we still have to fly from California to London in a 2-4-2 configuration ...

All those press releases about Polaris food improvements and domestic improvements, combined with a few months of everything getting better across the board. Why do that if you're only going to make cutbacks just a few months later on both fronts? I almost miss the old soft product service internationally. At least the salads were normal and there were legitimately good beef options.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Everyone and the damn wine list.
How does not printing a wine list allow them to serve cheaper wine? The bottles are there and labeled on the cart at your seat. It's not like they moved to having unmarked carafes or decanters of red and white.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Everyone and the damn wine list.
How does not printing a wine list allow them to serve cheaper wine? The bottles are there and labeled on the cart at your seat. It's not like they moved to having unmarked carafes or decanters of red and white.
i guess if they had a menu that only said assorted food and drink ask your flight attendant...that would work as well.

Having the notice "ask your flight attendant" is a cop out of actually paying for consistency that is surely tied to cost. That puts the onus on the FA to know what they are serving but how many actually explain the wine? At least we know most FAs are not color blind when their response is "we have red or white".

to me polaris is neutral...the bedding and amenities are a plus...food is mixed..i used to have hot apps, soup, choice of dressing, croutons, choice of bread (not preplated) and glass bowls in J. The mid snacks and variety of desserts is a plus. Lastly and this is a big one...the onboard changes could have happened without this stupid campaign touting new seats and lounges that are not available on over 75% of J flights.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117
Having the notice "ask your flight attendant" is a cop out of actually paying for consistency that is surely tied to cost. That puts the onus on the FA to know what they are serving but how many actually explain the wine? At least we know most FAs are not color blind when their response is "we have red or white".
This. I defy anyone to suggest that UA wines in business and first are the same quality as they first fielded when Polaris was rolled out.
EWR764 and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
From an email received today, a hint on the updated timings for the Polaris Lounges... SFO, EWR, and IAH are all listed as "this summer", and LAX this fall.

We're also opening United Polaris lounges in San Francisco, New York/Newark and Houston Intercontinental this summer, and in Los Angeles this fall. In all of these lounges, plus the recently expanded lounge in Chicago O'Hare, United Polaris customers will enjoy high-end shower suites, rest pods with day beds, and preflight dining.
Interesting that LHR is not mentioned at all, as it was previously identified as 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.