Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Working summary (Updated May 2018)

ORD - OPEN near C16, opened Dec 1 2016
SFO - OPEN in previous UC space in International Terminal G, April 30, 2018 (occupies previous UC+ SQ + BR lounge space)
EWR - OPEN old UC near Gate C120, June 4, 2018
IAH - OPEN - E11/E12, top floor of existing UC June 29, 2018
LAX - OPEN 12 January 2019 - Above rotunda near gate 73
IAD - "Under Construction" (2020?) - near C4, existing GFL (GFL converting to UC end of June 2018)
LHR - "Future location" - T2 opposite B46 at existing GFL (still open)
NRT - "Future location" - above existing UC
HKG - "Future location" - above gate 61, existing GFL (still open)

Polaris Progress Tracker 2017.06.26
Originally Posted by UASleeper
United has installed a Polaris Progress Tracker on its webpage, which tracks the progress of aircraft types/routes with Polaris seats and Polaris lounge openings. Here is the link:

http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris...-desktop-4/p/1

Under the "Aircraft" tab, all currently existing routes serviced by the new 773 (SFO-HKG, EWR-TLV and SFO-NRT are listed) are listed as well as (yet to be converted) 763 and 772 types. For the 763 the listed starting date is "Fall 2017." For the 772 the webpage states "Winter 2017," which sounds optimistic to me as it sounds more like 4th quarter of 2017 than the previously announced first quarter of 2018. Zodiac's output of Polaris seats for all three aircraft types must be ultra smooth by now, if United wants to stick with its predictions. Can't wait to see the first converted 763 in mid July...
Original summary
http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-mobile/p/2
From [email protected] on 02/27/2017:
Dear XXXXX:
No announcement has been made to let us know when additional United
Polaris lounges will be opening. We are still renovating some of the
locations. Our United Premium Cabin Lounges page on our website will be
updated once the dates are announced. I've included the link for you
below.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...n-lounges.aspx
This does not preclude any rumors from being true.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..[
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges[url=http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1769733](wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Print Wikipost

Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-202x

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Starman
There's an entire separate thread on the SFO situation. No way it's ready in February. Their periodic status emails to SFO area-based flyers alternate between saying "2018" and "Summer 2018".

I haven't been getting such emails ...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by wco81
I haven't been getting such emails ...
i wouldn't worry about it...they missed all previous announced dates. Plus the emails even suggest to patronize other vendors such as OTG. Frankly UA could say "coming this century" and while hopefully/technically correct doesn't tell you much.
SkiPremier and tstauck like this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

just got this in an e-mail from AA:

The time before your next international or transcontinental flight just got more relaxing. Enjoy our newest Flagship® Lounges in Miami (MIA) and Los Angeles (LAX) — now open to qualifying First and Business customers.*

Plus, when you’re in Flagship® First you’ll get access to Flagship® First Dining, our most exclusive and unexpected on-the-ground dining experience inside the lounge.

This year, we opened all-new Flagship® Lounges in:
  • Chicago O’Hare – Terminal 3
  • Los Angeles – Terminal 4
  • Miami – North Terminal, Concourse D
  • New York JFK – Terminal 8

Why can AA roll out 4 new lounges and UA can only open 1 in the same time frame?
SkiPremier likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
... Why can AA roll out 4 new lounges and UA can only open 1 in the same time frame?
They started a year earlier?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Why can AA roll out 4 new lounges and UA can only open 1 in the same time frame?
Actually united opened 0 new lounges this year. and at the same time.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL

I got that email too. AA had a head start. And their furnishings and lack of J sit-down food options likely make it easier to build or renovate the space. More terminal space is another plus for where AA has opened lounges already. It takes time to do anything in an airport, but especially to do it right the first time.

If anything, AA's equally slow pace (or slower as UA will possibly have 4 open in a shorter amount of time) is vindication for the Polaris Lounge roll-out.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

They don't have to actually redeem Saver awards?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by minnyfly
I got that email too. AA had a head start. And their furnishings and lack of J sit-down food options likely make it easier to build or renovate the space.
You're kidding, right?

Customers traveling in First Class on qualifying international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship First Dining, located within the Flagship Lounge. The sit-down restaurant experience will offer customers complimentary, full-service dining with locally-inspired menus. The JFK menu will feature ingredients from local purveyors including cheese from Sprout Creek Farms and grass-fed beef from Joyce Farms that will be used in American’s signature Flagship Burger, an item that will be available in all of our Flagship First Dining locations. Customers can enjoy specialty cocktails designed by renowned New York mixologist Pamela Wiznitzer and hand-selected wines from master sommelier Desmond Echavarrie.
Sounds to me like AA is offering more than just "J sit down food options." How is it easier to build a full service dining facility?

If anything, AA's equally slow pace (or slower as UA will possibly have 4 open in a shorter amount of time) is vindication for the Polaris Lounge roll-out.
AA: opens 4 flagship lounges in 2017.

UA: open 1 Polaris lounge in 2016, none in 2017.

But AA is on a slower pace. Right.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Starman
There's an entire separate thread on the SFO situation. No way it's ready in February. Their periodic status emails to SFO area-based flyers alternate between saying "2018" and "Summer 2018".
I'm pretty sure the sign said summer when I passed through on Sunday.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
You're kidding, right?

Sounds to me like AA is offering more than just "J sit down food options." How is it easier to build a full service dining facility?

AA: opens 4 flagship lounges in 2017.

UA: open 1 Polaris lounge in 2016, none in 2017.

But AA is on a slower pace. Right.
If you're not going to be serious or respectful, I won't feed you a comeback. I'm not going to rehash the facts again. They're out there for anyone to see. I recommend you find then and learn more about the two lounges.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Customers traveling in First Class on qualifying international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to Flagship First Dining, located within the Flagship Lounge. The sit-down restaurant experience will offer customers complimentary, full-service dining with locally-inspired menus. The JFK menu will feature ingredients from local purveyors including cheese from Sprout Creek Farms and grass-fed beef from Joyce Farms that will be used in American’s signature Flagship Burger, an item that will be available in all of our Flagship First Dining locations. Customers can enjoy specialty cocktails designed by renowned New York mixologist Pamela Wiznitzer and hand-selected wines from master sommelier Desmond Echavarrie.
You may have missed that is only for First Class customers, not business class customers, which is a much, much smaller group (and will need smaller facility). Additionally unclear if it will at all Flagship locations vs just some.

For a full discussion of AA's plans, probably best to follow that discussion in the AA forum.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:49 pm

If you're not going to be serious or respectful, I won't feed you a comeback. I'm not going to rehash the facts again. They're out there for anyone to see. I recommend you find then and learn more about the two lounges.
​​​​​​
The numbers don’t lie. Four flagship lounges for American Airlines in 2017. Zero Polaris lounges for United Airlines in 2017. Yes, for only first class customers, but are you seriously suggesting that building a full service sit down restaurant is easier than providing an enhanced buffet for a J class customer?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You may have missed that is only for First Class customers, not business class customers, which is a much, much smaller group (and will need smaller facility). Additionally unclear if it will at all Flagship locations vs just some.
​​​​​​​Yes, I realize that American’s flagship lounge is for first class passengers only. So yes, the footprint that United must build our is bigger, but how it is an enhanced buffet service so difficult that UA can’t open up a single Polaris lounge in 2017? You can’t seriously make the argument that some have made that in SFO and IAH, that they don’t have the space, because they clearly do.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:03 pm

are you seriously suggesting that building a full service sit down restaurant is easier than providing an enhanced buffet for a J class customer?...
UA is providing both for the business passenger, so that does seem to be a more complex build, requiring more space, to serve the higher demand.

You can’t seriously make the argument that some have made that in SFO and IAH, that they don’t have the space, because they clearly do.
Can not speak about IAH but yes there are space issues at SFO. That has been a long-term issue at SFO -- the airport operator has clearly spoken to that and the long-term (and as municipally own -- slow responding) plans are there to address that issue. And needs for a large space (per passenger) for the Polaris Lounge has likely delayed the UA buildout.

Now it is clear UA did not properly anticipate the demand for the ORD Polaris Club --- why can be debated but is of little value at this point. What I look for is what they are doing now -- and that appears to be changing plans to provide great space and that has led to delays. Not good, disappointing to all but at least the future direction seems appropriate.

Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
MODS - Can we change the topic to 2017 - 2020 to make it more realistic

Really it should be 2016, 2018-2020 as ZERO lounges opened in 2017
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Can not speak about IAH but yes there are space issues at SFO. That has been a long-term issue at SFO -- the airport operator has clearly spoken to that and the long-term (and as municipally own -- slow responding) plans are there to address that issue. And needs for a large space (per passenger) for the Polaris Lounge has likely delayed the UA buildout.

Now it is clear UA did not properly anticipate the demand for the ORD Polaris Club --- why can be debated but is of little value at this point. What I look for is what they are doing now -- and that appears to be changing plans to provide great space and that has led to delays. Not good, disappointing to all but at least the future direction seems appropriate.
I'm not suggesting that UA ought to be able to match AA lounge for lounge. I am suggesting that opening ZERO Polaris lounges in 2017 is pathetic. Coupled with the rollback of the Polaris soft product on board, one wonders just how committed UA is Polaris at this point. Which is a real shame - I flew Polaris shortly after its roll-out last year and I was impressed. I flew Polaris a few times in August, and the cutbacks in food and wine were sad and obvious.
UA_Flyer, goodeats21 and truncated like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.