Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I should also note that the downgrades are substantially only at the ORD lounge, which opened in late 2016, followed by SFO in April 2018. During that long interval, United/Sodexo apparently took a very careful look at how passengers used the PL, and made significant adjustments to the product such that the current iteration is essentially Polaris Lounge 2.0. Things like Veuve Clicquot, whiskey tasting bar, the Art Smith "partnership", a more extensive menu, etc., have gone away. On the other hand, UA clearly made square footage a priority, and rightfully so, as the lounges actually get pretty crowded these days. Since the opening of the SFO lounge, ORD was mostly synchronized with the rest of them, and the product hasn't changed all that much from mid-2018 to now.

I've been using the EWR PL +/- 1x a month since it opened and have only noticed some minor changes, and not to the negative. It's mostly been a consistent experience and, despite my quick-take above (relative only to the ORD PL), I want to make it clear that United gets this right.

I’ll also say that I’ve visited a few AA Flagship lounges, and while they have a lower barrier to entry than Polaris Lounges, they are (IMO) a notch or two down in quality. More comparable to the nicest SkyClubs, in my view. Flagship Dining is a pleasant experience, certainly a step up from PL dining rooms, but it’s quite rare that I find myself in true F these days.

Last edited by EWR764; Aug 29, 2019 at 6:40 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
I’ll also say that I’ve visited a few AA Flagship lounges, and while they have a lower barrier to entry than Polaris Lounges, they are (IMO) a notch or two down in quality. More comparable to the nicest SkyClubs,
I've only visited LAX. It's a nice lounge but definitely a notch below Polaris, in part due to hard product in part b/c the admission rules are so much more lax. The buffet however was considerably better than SFO PL
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've only visited LAX. It's a nice lounge but definitely a notch below Polaris, in part due to hard product in part b/c the admission rules are so much more lax. The buffet however was considerably better than SFO PL
Agree. I think the SFO buffet is the weakest in the system. IMO, in terms of buffet selection and quality:

1. LAX
2. IAH
3. ORD
4. EWR
5. SFO

I find EWR closer to the smaller lounges and SFO a fair bit behind EWR. I'm interested to see where IAD stacks up, whenever it opens.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I know about connecting airport does not allow admittance, and it was not mentioned in my original response post.

Yes, I have been corrected on Arrival Airport. I must also admit I have been granted access at arrival airport at SFO when arriving from NH and SQ, but I realized they are exceptions not the Polaris policy. I have no idea why they granted me access at SFO. I have not arrived on *A carriers in business into other hub airports with Polaris Lounges.
I too have been "excepted", once, in to ORD (midday, after HKG but before the PM TATL bank) after arriving on a same-day partner flight. I plead ignorance but just did it as a "worth a try" thing, as I was connecting to a domestic UA flight.
​​​​

Last edited by EWR764; Aug 29, 2019 at 8:22 am
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by EWR764
Agree. I think the SFO buffet is the weakest in the system. IMO, in terms of buffet selection and quality:

1. LAX
2. IAH
3. ORD
4. EWR
5. SFO

I find EWR closer to the smaller lounges and SFO a fair bit behind EWR. I'm interested to see where IAD stacks up, whenever it opens.

I too have been "excepted", once, in to ORD (midday, after HKG but before the PM TATL bank) after arriving on a same-day partner flight. I plead ignorance but just did it as a "worth a try" thing, as I was connecting to a domestic UA flight.
​​​​
remember SFO was the worst FC lounge in the system too from an F&B point of view.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Here is the ORD menu as of about 5 minutes ago

Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Here is the ORD menu as of about 5 minutes ago

Four appetizer-type items and four entrees and two deserts seems not to be "drastic". But, it is the FT way to caption a thread with an eye-catcher which is not coupled to reality.

For an airport lounge to offer this level of variety at sit down is perfectly fine. Quality and execution are the key. Even quantity can be dealt with through ordering.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold CX Green (many years diamond) Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
From the outset the menu has always seem limited, and acceptable, augmented by the buffet, which we don't find the need to visit.
I have found the staff in the sit down @ORDPolarislounge occasionally less than enthusiastic.
Live4Upgrade likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anc-ord772

Menu from SFO PL on Monday. Seems the same no? Although the buffet had far fewer items than my visit to the EWR PL last month.
Been there 4 times the last 8 weeks and remember the same menu. Re portion size: I asked the server for 2x pot stickers (6 vs 3), got it served on one plate and all was well.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:15 am

Hasn't this always been the case? I've been to the SFO, IAH, EWE, and ORD Polaris lounges and this was pretty standard.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:57 am

Am I really the first person to notice that they flagged BEEF TARTARE as vegetarian?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul Weber
Am I really the first person to notice that they flagged BEEF TARTARE as vegetarian?
As noted elsewhere it is BeeT, the red root veggie!
My travel partner fell into the same trap!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Paul Weber
It's beet tartare, with a 't' Beets are probably cheaper.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
I'd agree that the ORD PL had better food quality when it first opened as the then only PL, although the portions were always small. That created the opportunity to try a couple of entrees ;-) Sure miss the bread pudding desert!

I also find the AA FL lunch and dinner buffets more to my taste than the the PL buffets, and nice that non-AA OW Sapphire or Emerald can access AA FL even on domestic flights :-)
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by PresRDC
The current menu is inarguably a come down from the one you posted....
I was there yesterday and it was exactly the same as previously posted
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Been there 4 times the last 8 weeks and remember the same menu. Re portion size: I asked the server for 2x pot stickers (6 vs 3), got it served on one plate and all was well.
In fairness, it is labeled “small plates”

Actually I would just fill up on the small plates, those look pretty good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.