Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver

Menu from SFO PL on Monday. Seems the same no? Although the buffet had far fewer items than my visit to the EWR PL last month.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've found the portion size varies greatly between entrees. I remember a huge chicken sandwich. As for the buffet I think it is poor timing. Especially when the change over to lunch
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Ewr last week
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
EWR last December. I don't think its ever been different.
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/115569327@N08/, on Flickr
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I've found the portion size varies greatly between entrees. I remember a huge chicken sandwich. As for the buffet I think it is poor timing. Especially when the change over to lunch
I had the Sourdough Eggs Benny, and although delicious, it was a ridiculously tiny portion. It never occurred to me to order 2 entrees, although thinking back, she did ask "Is that all?".
Now I know.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Last week I made a connection from UA to TK in ORD and had a few hours to spend in the ORD Polaris Lounge before trekking to Terminal 5. After having seen many reports on the Polaris Lounge dining experience, some from quite recently, I had high expectations. I was surprised to see a very paired-down menu with only 3 items each for appetizer, main course and desert. Is this the norm or was it just a bad day?
Here is a menu from June 2018 for ORD Polaris
Originally Posted by truncated
This was the lunch/dinner menu on 6/1, presumably hasn't changed since:

What's the "Drastically Reduced Sit Down Dining Menu" in the number of items offered?
If you were expecting a regular restaurant menu of 10_ items, the Polaris lounges have never been that.
There have been reports a reduction in the quantity provided but unclear where the dramatic, conclusive "Drastically Reduced Sit Down Dining Menu" is coming from.

And from Jan 2017 ( 2 years 7 months ago) 3-4 items in each category -- maybe 3 now instead of 4 ???

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Oddly, on The Points Guy there is a totally different menu--

ETA: Same menu, I guess, just a much more reader-friendly style.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

How does one determine “drastically reduced” when it appeared the OP has not been there before? A little sensationalized heading, IMHO.

If we are talking about UA’s Polaris onboard drink and food offerings, then “drastically reduced” may be the right phrase.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Right, it's never been a particularly broad menu. Add me to the list of people who are fine with limited choices so long as they're well executed.

My big gripe at SFO Polaris is the buffet.
EWR764, MatthewLAX, Often1 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:59 pm

I've nearly always had a quality meal here. (Probably better than most lounges I've been to world wide). I much prefer ANY restaurant to focus on what works than to try to create a huge menu that ends up being crappy. So many restaurants try to create fancy food when they can't even master the basics

As for portions, I remember one time at ORD, they had a "steak" on the menu. The waiter's english wasnt very clear. I asked if was really a piece of steak, even motioning with my hand. However when it arrived it was just rice with a couple small chunks of steak. When I mentioned that I thought it would be bigger they offered something else and brought me the huge chicken sandwich that I could probably only eat a quarter. The burger is fairly large (but a standard size) yet the fish looks tiny. I try to look around the dining room to see what the dishes look like before I order.

Not to go too far off topic, but what is drastically reduce about the onboard food offerings. Seems like I've been getting the same menus. Or are you talking more about service level, like the wine sampler or bloody mary cart or PDB/chocolate.

Yes agree, the SFO buffet is probably the worst. (well I havent gotten down to IAH yet)
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

How does one determine “drastically reduced” when it appeared the OP has not been there before? A little sensationalized heading, IMHO...
I agree. I think OP’s expectations have been reduced, not the actual menu. I also think the title may lead many to think about the menu has “drastically reduced” based on someone’s first-hand experience of “before” and “after”, when it may be the OP’s first time there.

Maybe the title should be “Expected more extensive sit down dining menu at ORD Polaris lounge”...
AirbusFan2B and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 28, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
You all need to reset your expectations. The food is good enough. Nothing you get in ANY airport is going to be 3 star or better. You are not buying a ticket because of the lounge offerings, are you?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Collierkr
You are not buying a ticket because of the lounge offerings, are you?
The ground experience is something I always consider before I book, of course I'll book a better price/schedule and sacrifice the lounge but usually my itineraries involve similar pricing but different offerings. For example, I will take Polaris any day over LH C given the choice. Why you may ask? I get Polaris Lounge access throughout my itinerary.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The menu has gotten smaller since the lounge first opened, but its current size is the same as the one previous iteration. Currently the ORD menu is on the third formulation, I believe.

I think each time it has become a little bit less appealing and inventive, but as others said it seems a bit extreme to call it 'dramatically reduced'.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: BA, VS
We ate in the ORD Polaris Lounge last week, Thursday afternoon. The menu contained 3 or 4 entrees, however from the reviews that I'd seen on here and elsewhere we both went for the Polaris Burger which was very good. The two desert options were also good. Service was friendly and efficient, we only had about an hour in the lounge but had plenty of time for two courses with about a 15 minute wait for a table.

Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
This menu posted above is substantially bigger than what I experienced last week. This menu offers two salads, a soup and two appetizers. The one I had four choices only, including soup, salad and appetizer. No separate sandwich menu either, just four choices, one of which was the burger (and no more Art Smith menu items).

The current menu is inarguably a come down from the one you posted.

Now, that said, the buffet options were quite good and the bar options were great too. And I cannot say enough good things about the bartenders. Really great guys.

Last edited by PresRDC; Aug 29, 2019 at 7:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.