Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
New menu:
Thank god - I was so tired of the prior menu... Only so many kale caesar's, risotto's and chicken vesuvio one can bear.

New options sound good. I tried the new salmon last week as they were trialing it. It's a bigger portion than the prior salmon option which is nice and it's quite tasty.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:43 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
Thank god - I was so tired of the prior menu... Only so many kale caesar's, risotto's and chicken vesuvio one can bear.

New options sound good. I tried the new salmon last week as they were trialing it. It's a bigger portion than the prior salmon option which is nice and it's quite tasty.
Any news about EWR menu change? I fly out from EWR only about once or twice every quarter but I am getting bit too used to the a la carte dining menu.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Regardless of retail suggestion, I am sure UA is not paying more for Piper than they were for Veuve.
Wholesale pricing on liquor is very regulated in Illinois, so I looked this up. The answer is the Piper is cheaper. Excluding seasonal promotions, the Piper is $35 / bottle at wholesale for quantities of 5 cases or more, whereas the Veuve only gets down to $37.33 for a purchase of 2,000 cases or more which I believe is the cheapest tier.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
What to look for at ORD Polaris Lounge

I am on a UA/SAS TYS-ORD-CPH routing in Business class in June, which I understand gives me access to the Polaris Lounge when I am passing through with a ~3+ hr layover. This will be the first and likely only time this year; what do folks suggest I not miss while there?

(And yes, I know I will need to allow time to get to T5)

thanks
Old May 8, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by renault4
I am on a UA/SAS TYS-ORD-CPH routing in Business class in June, which I understand gives me access to the Polaris Lounge when I am passing through with a ~3+ hr layover. This will be the first and likely only time this year; what do folks suggest I not miss while there?

(And yes, I know I will need to allow time to get to T5)

thanks
If you want to freshen up before your TATL, the shower suites are very nice. If you want to maximize sleep on the overnight, you can have a nice meal and skip the on-board service.
The sit-down menu service as well as the buffet are fine, but nothing "fine dining" to talk about.

It is a nice business class lounge, but not sure there is anything "not miss" to experience.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
In the ORD polaris lounge dining room. During my entire time eating, there was a guy in a booth on his laptop the entire time. He finally got a hint when there were two people in line waiting. Not sure if he was clueless (til the end) or just didnt care.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
In the ORD polaris lounge dining room. During my entire time eating, there was a guy in a booth on his laptop the entire time. He finally got a hint when there were two people in line waiting. Not sure if he was clueless (til the end) or just didnt care.
I once saw the staff prompt someone to clear out when all the tables were full as he wasn't eating anything further. But I'm sure sometimes they don't consider doing that, as you describe.

I think the staff turnover is a bit high because there is not much tipping. I don't like the American obsession with tipping, so I appreciate the lounge policy discouraging it, but it may be having a negative effect upon the service quality.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I once saw the staff prompt someone to clear out when all the tables were full as he wasn't eating anything further. But I'm sure sometimes they don't consider doing that, as you describe.

I think the staff turnover is a bit high because there is not much tipping. I don't like the American obsession with tipping, so I appreciate the lounge policy discouraging it, but it may be having a negative effect upon the service quality.
I agree with the over tipping culture, however I think it should be done in the PL and maybe even mentioned on the menu, or possibly a tip envelope given like some hotels do for maids. Unfortunately I doubt the servers make more than minimum wage and could make better money as a server at Chili's on Concourse B. If UA wants good service they need to pay for it.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is a long existing thread on Tipping in Polaris lounge and it has some information on wages
wysiwyg likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by threeoh
Wholesale pricing on liquor is very regulated in Illinois, so I looked this up. The answer is the Piper is cheaper. Excluding seasonal promotions, the Piper is $35 / bottle at wholesale for quantities of 5 cases or more, whereas the Veuve only gets down to $37.33 for a purchase of 2,000 cases or more which I believe is the cheapest tier.
OT, but where can you look this up? Very curious, and couldn't find it.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
OT, but where can you look this up? Very curious, and couldn't find it.
It's not publicly available. I'm a liquor retailer here in Chicago so I emailed my sales reps from Southern (Veuve) and from Breakthru (Piper) and asked them the lowest pricing tier for a large case drop of the two wines in question.

Legally they have to offer the same pricing to everyone at the same volume and all deals must be "published"....this is not always enforced very well and sometimes they play games and offer off-the-books discounts to favorite clients or "forget" to mention the cheapest tier to you. Also on-premise and off-premise licensees may be given different pricing. But based on the full content of his response I'm pretty confident in that 2,000-case price being the cheapest they offer to anyone in the state.
cesco.g and linglingfool like this.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Got back to this lounge after more than six months, and can see some cost cutting on the spring menu. Soup, salad, zucchini noodles and quinoa are the starter courses for lunch/dinner. Salmon, chicken, and gnocchi are the main courses. No red meat on the menu. except for the Polaris Burger which was the appealing option (to me) among these choices.

And in the shower suite, the body wash dispenser was empty. I've made a mental note to check these dispensers before getting the shower fully going during future visits.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS
Just came here for the first time since moving to NYC 18 months ago. Let me just say that you Chicago folk are SPOILED when it comes to the Polaris burger. It is perfect. The brioche is so much better than whatever they’re using at EWR. It really rivals any burger I’ve ever had.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had the bourbon-glazed salmon the other day. it was perfectly cooked! ^
Old Jul 14, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
My last visit here was October. In that post, there are more photos of the lounge and some different food items.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30301976-post825.html

(My posts from 2 visits to the SFO Polaris lounge are in that thread).

July 2019

Great day for flying.

Ah, Pre-PDB.

Great views.

Well my day is perfect now.

Excellent offerings at the buffet.

Ah, table is ready.

OUTSTANDING salad.

I had the burger on the last visit, It was great, Really enjoyed this salmon and veggie sides.

Oooooh.

OK, I'm moving in.

Someone I knew had arrived and he opted for a different dessert.

Sure, tease me.

Another great view.

Nap room. Had I used it , I might have missed my flight.

wysiwyg, narvik and Marlin240 like this.

Last edited by 24left; Jul 14, 2019 at 5:05 pm Reason: Correct date

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.