Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Tipping in Polaris lounge

I felt like we were the only ones tipping. Anyone else?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
I felt like we were the only ones tipping. Anyone else?
why would you tip? For what? Exceptional service? Ever seen anyone tipping in the LH Senator lounge, the FCT etc.? Staff gets paid more in Polaris lounges such that they don't need to reply on tips.

Would tip if service for truly exceptional, but if someone just pours me a glass of champagne? Nope, that's included in my $9k ticket ...
airoli, roberto99, Xyzzy and 15 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You probably were. There's as much reason to tip a lounge agent as there is to tip security and gate agents.
roberto99, cruisr, rch4u and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
I almost always tip bartenders wherever I go. It doesn't have to be much, but a few dollars here or there on a ticket that cost you a few thousand should not break the bank much. It's a nice gesture and sometimes comes with a few small perks -- like getting a refill before others in that long line.

It does seem a bit ... odd ... to tip the waitstaff who bring your food at the Polaris Lounge, however.
ekwang, mdtakamine and SJWarrior like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

I tip in restaurants. Polaris is just a fancy restaurant. My server wasn't so offended that she gave the money back.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I tip for good services at bars and restaurants alike.

It is my money and I can decide how to use it. No one should tell me if I can or cannot tip.

I guess I have a soft spot for bartenders and waiters. I put myself through college more than 3 decades ago working as a bartender and waiter, and I am always willing to pay for good services if I see people try hard to making a living.

Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:04 pm

Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I always tip $20 for dinner for 2 served in the a la carte dining room in the Polaris lounges.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I tip bartenders at UCs and bartenders/table servers at Polaris lounges.

To elaborate, I tip bartenders for mixed drinks (think Bloody Mary), not for a coke or beer. I can’t recall ordering a coffee drink from a bar - I’m happy w/ bulk dispenser coffee.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 19, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I tip in the dining area. I won't tip the bartender for making me an americano that I'd prefer to make myself.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I thought when Polaris opened at ORD, the sit down dining menu had a little statement saying tipping was okay...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just has a precaution, the discussion, if you tip or not at the Polaris club or with any airline / airport employee, is fine. But just a reminder of what has been stated before.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
"Tipping"

The subject of tipping while we travel on UA, and particular tipping of bartenders in lounges, is a regular subject. However, it tends to morph into a discussion of the "American culture of tipping." The former is relevant to the UA forum but the latter which tends to quickly dominates a thread is better for other forums, such as Should I tip?

The topic of this thread is the timeline for future Polaris Lounges.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Additionally commenting with your opinion of a poster because of their position on tipping is likely to run afoul of the FT rules not allowing the discussing of posters -- remember to discuss the issue, not the poster(s).

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
greytop13 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 19, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I've contemplated this very issue as well.

I tip on drinks (free or not) in the UC without compunction. I've found the atmosphere in Polaris Lounges (SFO and ORD), for some reason, is not conducive to tipping. Maybe it's the lack of cash flowing on or behind the bar.

Bottom line for me: UC = yes. PL = no.
Xyzzy and UnitedGS_seat2B like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I've done it before, especially at the bar, but I don't feel that I have to. At the UC, for alcoholic drinks, always.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
why would you tip? For what? Exceptional service? Ever seen anyone tipping in the LH Senator lounge, the FCT etc.? Staff gets paid more in Polaris lounges such that they don't need to reply on tips.

Would tip if service for truly exceptional, but if someone just pours me a glass of champagne? Nope, that's included in my $9k ticket ...
Same planet different world I guess. My view, if i can afford a $9000 ticket, I can afford to leave a couple of dollars for the service industry employee who makes $13 an hour to be on her feet 12 hours a day six days a week. To each their own though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.