Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Another reminder, as previously posted, this thread is about tipping in the Polaris lounge. A generic discussion of tipping if for other forums.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:07 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
UC/PL bar I d $2/3 on the first drink to make sure of prompt service for the rest of my stay, then $1 a drink (not seltzer), in the PL dinning room I have done $5-10 per person depending on how many course we have ordered. Onboard I usually take a bag Toblerome mini’s or ex EWR the large tub of Jersey Shore popcorn for the cabin crew. I guess you can’t call it a tip, because I give it upon boarding, but my aim is to encourage good service, and it mostly works. I do similar LH, but not on SQ and as both have self service bars I don’t tip there. I generally leave about $5 after a shower in a lounge for the cleaning staff.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
If UA made it easy to tip via the United App, I might consider to tip in the PL lounge. Rare day to have anything other than $20s in my wallet when traveling internationally and I've yet to experience PL service that justifies a $20 tip.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:25 pm

Unsure about everyone else but whenever I visit the UC I always tip. The tip I give them is, "Install some bloody showers in the lounge! I was on a plane for the last 13 hours" Unsurprisingly they're not appreciative of my tips #UnitedCares

-James
UK Stages likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i tip in the polaris restaurant; i tip the bartender at united clubs. i see many people who do; i see lots who don't. i have seen people leave a dollar. i've also seen five dollars and up per person. (the most common amount i've seen has been five dollars.)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:44 pm

Let me just sum up this thread so we can truncate it:

(1) The position is listed as non-tipped
(2) Everything in the lounge is complementary, including sit-down meal service, because you bought an expensive ticket and this is part of it.
(3) United removed the tip jar
(4) You don't tip FAs who serve you food and drink, and this is kind of similar
(5) You see others not tip

but

(6) You might feel the workers are underpaid
(7) You just bought a $9k ticket so you can afford a few bucks to a poor service worker
(8) You're used to tipping in the U.S. for served drinks and food, so it feels weird not to
(9) You see others tipping.

Seems pretty straight forward to me: tip if you want to, don't feel like you "have" to the same way one "has" to at a U.S. restaurant, and of course you certainly don't have to.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by threeoh
Everything in the lounge is complementary.
i've always thought some of the carpeting clashes horribly with the seating, but, hey, maybe that's just me.
PTahCha, wpcoe, st530 and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I initially started to tip in the PL lounge, but as time has moved on, the fact that my service was still average, and the same as the majority that were not tipping, I have now concluded that I should stop tipping. It's not so much the money involved, but that it just doesn't make a difference clearly to them, nor me...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Perhaps United should build a capacity to tip PL employees in Miles into the next iteration of their App?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I tip normally ($3-$5) at Polaris Lounge and United Lounge if I am served. On New Year's Day, Valentine's Day evening, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas, and New Year's Eve, I tip $20-$50 (equivalent in LHR) depending on how generous I feel at the time. I've also tipped FA's and given them gifts. I am operating from the view is that I make significantly more money than the wait staff/bartenders who are, for the most part, low wage earners. In my 30+ years of travel, I have had the money returned to me because they were sure that I made a mistake, received effusive thanks, or silence.

It's all fine. Nobody is making anybody tip. Happy Christmas to all.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Perhaps 15-20% of the price of the meal is appropriate, as elsewhere in the US. In my book, that comes to zero.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I am all for tipping (on good services only), but if you don't drink, and the sit-down dining service is closed, would you still tip? If so, to whom?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
I tip in the sit down restaurant when I get some snacks. I saw someone else give $5 so that is what I did.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by transportprof
Perhaps United should build a capacity to tip PL employees in Miles into the next iteration of their App?
That would give me something I can use my leftover FPQM's for.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:54 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
Let me just sum up this thread so we can truncate it:

(2) Everything in the lounge is complementary, including sit-down meal service, because you bought an expensive ticket and this is part of it.
So really it’s prepaid / all inclusive, not complementary.

And even when a bartender “buys” me a “free” drink I still give them a tip for that, normally a larger one than on a drink I pay for explicitly.
Yoshi212 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.