Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Absolutely tip. It's like Uber, most people think you don't have to tip the Uber drive, but you always tip the cab. Tip. They work for nothing. If you can afford to travel in business class, you can give a dollar or two to a lounge worker. Geez.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If they pour me a drinks I tend to leave a few bucks. At the SFO Polaris Lounge in November they bartender was really hustling but remained calm, friendly and remembered what people were drinking or what they had commented on wanting to try. For that I left a larger tip and she was very grateful.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I thought I’d read on here that the Polaris Lounge bartenders were being paid a premium wage so that they don’t need to accept tips. I also recall reading that UA had been recruiting (and poaching) the best bartenders not just from the UC’s but other airline lounges and concessions, with the lure of the (relatively speaking) much better wages.

Please correct me if I’m wrong because I haven’t tipped in the PL for that reason, and I’m usually a high tipper. And I’ll be in the SFO Polaris Lounge tomorrow.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
We tip in the Polaris lounges if we get good service. This truly is a personal choice, but rewarding conscientious, hard work is a good thing-especially around the holiday season.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
There was a waiter in the ORD PL (I don't think he's there anymore or else I just haven't run into him lately) who had his rehearsed speech every time he got a new table: "Everything is complimentary, the only thing is if you want to leave something for the service."
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Polaris is a fancy restaurant?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:31 am
vga

Programs: yes
However, if I'm only ordering a soft drink, juice or water, I don't tip. Most lounges offer these via self-serve facilities anyway, so on the rare ...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by st530
There was a waiter in the ORD PL (I don't think he's there anymore or else I just haven't run into him lately) who had his rehearsed speech every time he got a new table: "Everything is complimentary, the only thing is if you want to leave something for the service."
Wow. That’s a pretty easy way to not get a tip from me.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Most of my flights are overnight EWR to Europe. I need to sleep as much as I can on those flights as I typically need to go directly to a meeting. I mention this because my MO for years has been to eat dinner in the terminal, and then visit the UC for a couple of drinks to get me sleepy. Now, with the Polaris Lounge, I can have a sit-down dinner without shelling out extra $ in the airport. I tip $10 after dinner, $20 if I am traveling with someone. I typically leave $5 for the bartender.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Is it just me or are the bartenders at the various Polaris lounges not particular friendly or tip-worthy?
(although I will tip out of habit mainly...)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:08 am

I get far more exceptional service at the LH F lounges and the thought of tipping never occurred to me.

Neither am I going to tip in the PL (or any other lounge for that matter)

Dumbest idea ever.
Xyzzy and lhrsfo like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
Is it just me or are the bartenders at the various Polaris lounges not particular friendly or tip-worthy?
There was a very nice bartender at the ORD Polaris Lounge but he was replaced by a not nice one at all. To the point that my wife now tells me to bring all the rounds of Champagne. We used to alternate: I bring two glasses, the next round she brings two glasses.

Maybe the very nice bartender left because he was not getting tips.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
FWIW, the Sodexo job postings for the Polaris Lounges were listed as "non-tipped".

At Polaris, I usually will tip a few dollars per drink at the end of my session at the bar (same as I would for any open bar) and at least $5-10 for table service if just myself or a party of two. That said, I don't feel compelled to tip to the same degree I would at a restaurant where gratuity is an essential component of service staff compensation.

Originally Posted by narvik
Without naming names, I disagree, especially at SFO and (believe it or not) EWR.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by zitsky
I felt like we were the only ones tipping. Anyone else?
I tip even at the UC. Polaris Lounge is no exception
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Whenever I fly via EWR or ORD, I always like to sit down @ the A-la-carte section and I tend to stay for about 1.5 hours or so. I order cocktails (Smoky Negroni, Cloudcover)... drink lots of sparking water, have an appetizer and an entree. Usually I'll watch some netflix on my iPad. Anyway, as I occupy the table for quite a while and I feel I'm getting good service, I always leave a $20 on the table when I'm done.

If I go to the bar (which is rare for me @ polaris)... then I tip $1 / drink just as I do @ the regular United Club.

As for Sherrod Brown... this is one of the many reasons I'd rather write in "Mickey Mouse" come election time than fill in the oval next to his name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.