Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
Tips are not expected in Polaris lounges, but employees are allowed to accept them.

Originally Posted by legalalien
Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Print Wikipost

Tipping in Polaris lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I would love to see a waiter try to tell me I should go to the ATM so I can tip him. Now that I know the facts on how they get paid, that guy would be reported.
iluv2fly, Xyzzy and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
This whole conversation is ridiculous. What restaurant or bar would you go to and not tip? I hope none.
One where waiters or bartenders insist on "reminding" me that tips are appreciated?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I've only been in Polaris lounge at IAH twice, but neither time was there a mention about tipping.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Do you tip your TSA officers? It really has gone too far!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
After chatting with the Sudexo lead, I also had a chat with the bartenders about it too. They said they were told not to expect any tips but be appreciative of what they do get and quickly pocket them; they don't want loose bills or a tip jar in sight to give the idea that tipping is expected.
Interesting; the last few times I've been in the ORD Polaris lounge, there were bills (today, it was a $2 bill) on display at the counter.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:03 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'll usually tip my bartenders anywhere in the US, even in lounges. I won't tip for sit-down food at a lounge that offers it. I'm welcoming of a world in which less tipping is required, but I'm not quite at the point where I can hang out at the bar drinking without tipping.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:48 pm

When this thread started, I was in the camp of not tipping. However, yesterday was my first time in a Polaris Lounge, which was LAX. The people at the desk were very nice and helpful and walked me around a bit to help me get the lay of the “land”. The servers in the dining room were very friendly, efficient, helpful and smiling. They made suggestions on the menu and encouraged me to look around at other parts of the lounge. The service was very good. I TIPPED!
One staffer was frequently walking around the general seating area with a tray of Champagne and offered glasses to us. Very proactive and pleasant service. I tipped her, also.

The people working in this lounge are very pleasant, seem to enjoy working there and proud of this lounge.

Each to their own.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Each to their own.
Couldn't agree more.

While I can both understand and appreciate the criticism tipping receives in countries where it's not the custom, I don't understand this sentiment in America. Bartenders are tipped everywhere in the USA, from hotels to dive bars, why not in an Airline lounge? Now, for those who prefer not to tip, fine; but, frankly, I'm puzzled by some of the subtle resentment towards those who do.
SJWarrior likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Visconti
Couldn't agree more.

While I can both understand and appreciate the criticism tipping receives in countries where it's not the custom, I don't understand this sentiment in America. Bartenders are tipped everywhere in the USA, from hotels to dive bars, why not in an Airline lounge? Now, for those who prefer not to tip, fine; but, frankly, I'm puzzled by some of the subtle resentment towards those who do.
Bartenders at most places are paid a sub-minimum wage and their employers rely on tips to make sure they are paid at least the minimum. Sadly, this is legal in the US. Bartenders and other employees at Polaris clubs are properly compensated for their work at well abve minimum wage.
chavala and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
Couldn't agree more.

+1
TIPS are To Insure Prompt Service, hence the term. I tip, already stated it above, I don't want to have to wait to get a cocktail when I have maybe 30 mins to get my flight. Not proud of it but some of the bar tenders in various UCs know me. Don't get to the PLs enough for that but still IF the service is good.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
We were in the SFO Polaris dining room a few weeks ago, but realized neither of us had small bills in USD on us (we had Australian currency, but that wouldn't help!), despite receiving excellent service from the wait staff. We would have happily tipped $5-ish each had we had the cash on us (we were in/out in under an hour).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Bartenders at most places are paid a sub-minimum wage and their employers rely on tips to make sure they are paid at least the minimum. Sadly, this is legal in the US. Bartenders and other employees at Polaris clubs are properly compensated for their work at well abve minimum wage.
How do you know they are paid "well above minimum wage"? I'm curious.
And how much? I seriously doubt they are paid more than 30000 a year, which is pitiful, although above minimum wage.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Bartenders and other employees at Polaris clubs are properly compensated for their work at well abve minimum wage.
You seem to have some insight into the comp of bartenders at Polaris Clubs - how much do they make - I'm curious what "properly compensated" is......
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
You seem to have some insight into the comp of bartenders at Polaris Clubs - how much do they make - I'm curious what "properly compensated" is......
There are earlier posts in this thread explaining - based on conversations with Sodexo, the lounge operator - that Polaris employees are explicitly recruited to "non-tipping" positions, and are paid a higher wage than employees at other lounges to compensate for that.

Besides, the anger is mostly directed not at those who elect to tip (to each indeed his own), but at employees who explicitly ask for a tip. Many, myself included, find that tacky at any bar/restaurant, and especially so in light of the above.
rankourabu, Xyzzy, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by nomad420
+1
TIPS are To Insure Prompt Service, hence the term. I tip, already stated it above, I don't want to have to wait to get a cocktail when I have maybe 30 mins to get my flight. Not proud of it but some of the bar tenders in various UCs know me. Don't get to the PLs enough for that but still IF the service is good.
This is definitely not the origin of the word "tips", which is much older than the oldest known acronym in English.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.