Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by VRFast
I don’t know the layout of ORD airport so can’t speak to that, but if you’re flying United Polaris you have access to the lounge after arrival in the US if you have a domestic connection. If you’re final destination is ORD, in this case, no Polaris lounge for you since you cannot re-enter the secure area without a valid BP. I think that’s what they are referring to?
Yeah. That is all I wanted to confirm. The *3 term on the official who has access to page was a little confusing :-/
Old Apr 15, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Sorry if this asked already. Searched and couldn't find

Will be arriving in ORD (T5) on United Polaris Business class from Japan. Then have a long 6 hour layover in ORD before my next flight to DEN. All on one ticket. Planning to visit the Polaris lounge in T1 near C18.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html - I see the below in the terms

"Re-entry to the airport after clearing customs is not permitted without further eligible onward travel. Access upon arrival is available to customers who have already made a domestic connection."

What do they mean by "who have already made a domestic connection"? Just means getting in to T1? Because thats covered in their former re-entry sentence. It just sounds as if you must have already taken a domestic flight. I am clearly wrong. But, just making sure we should have no problem getting into the lounge? Also, the next flight to DEN will most likely be in E or F gate which is T2. So, entering T1 6 hours before flight should not be a problem, correct? An hour or so before DEN flight, we could just walk from Polaris lounge (C18) to E or F gate and don't have to redo security I guess. May be even go to the club lounge near the gate
A DEN flight is unlikely to go from E/F. If it does, you can still walk airside to T2. But you’ll likely depart B/C. Polaris in C. T1.
Global321 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Sorry if this asked already. Searched and couldn't find

Will be arriving in ORD (T5) on United Polaris Business class from Japan. Then have a long 6 hour layover in ORD before my next flight to DEN. All on one ticket. Planning to visit the Polaris lounge in T1 near C18.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html - I see the below in the terms

"Re-entry to the airport after clearing customs is not permitted without further eligible onward travel. Access upon arrival is available to customers who have already made a domestic connection."

What do they mean by "who have already made a domestic connection"? Just means getting in to T1? Because thats covered in their former re-entry sentence. It just sounds as if you must have already taken a domestic flight. I am clearly wrong. But, just making sure we should have no problem getting into the lounge? Also, the next flight to DEN will most likely be in E or F gate which is T2. So, entering T1 6 hours before flight should not be a problem, correct? An hour or so before DEN flight, we could just walk from Polaris lounge (C18) to E or F gate and don't have to redo security I guess. May be even go to the club lounge near the gate
What you're quoting is the footnote to this:

"Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airportsfootnote3 along their eligible same-day routing."

To access the Polaris Lounge as an INTL arriving passenger, you have to have a connecting flight otherwise you can't even get into the terminal. I think their footnote would be more clear if the second sentence read "Access upon arrival is also available to customers who have already made a domestic connection" implying arriving passengers have to be in the middle of a D-->I (in J) or I (in J)-->D connection.

Regardless, you should be able to access the PL before your connection to DEN.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:37 am

Yes, it's saying you will have physical access airside if you have onward travel (because you can use your boarding pass to get through security) or if you've already made a domestic connection (e.g. LHR->EWR->ORD, at ORD you are airside already because you already made a domestic connection at EWR).

The addition of an "also" would definitely make this more clear.

If you just fly e.g. LHR->ORD you do not have arrival access because you have no way of physically getting to the lounge and they will not issue you pass to get through security just to get to the lounge. In the language of the footnote, you have no onward travel and you haven't already made a domestic connection, so you are SOL.
SPN Lifer and rhwbullhead like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 1:02 pm

I’m here now, all menus look the same. I will say that the furniture is a bit tired, and although I picked what’s probably one of the most popular chairs (corner, right next to window, facing runway) it should probably be replaced as it’s quite worn.

I sampled the buffet and it was tasty with the sausage and peppers, chicken vesuvio, pasta, etc. Soup was minestrone.

Bartenders are super friendly and cheerfully made my wife a custom non-alcoholic cocktail since she gets sick of being pregnant and drinking only water.

Will try the dining room shortly and might order the burger simply out of curiosity. I’ll update this post with good/bad news and photos.

edit - It’s 3pm on a Friday and it’s absolutely packed in here now. Waiting list for the dining room, very few seats available, and bar is quite busy. I wasn’t expecting to hear a hostess walking around shouting “MIKE PARTY OF 2!” Lol.

Last edited by MikeW_ORD; Apr 22, 2022 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD
I’m here now, all menus look the same. I will say that the furniture is a bit tired, and although I picked what’s probably one of the most popular chairs (corner, right next to window, facing runway) it should probably be replaced as it’s quite worn.

I sampled the buffet and it was tasty with the sausage and peppers, chicken vesuvio, pasta, etc. Soup was minestrone.

Bartenders are super friendly and cheerfully made my wife a custom non-alcoholic cocktail since she gets sick of being pregnant and drinking only water.

Will try the dining room shortly and might order the burger simply out of curiosity. I’ll update this post with good/bad news and photos.

edit - It’s 3pm on a Friday and it’s absolutely packed in here now. Waiting list for the dining room, very few seats available, and bar is quite busy. I wasn’t expecting to hear a hostess walking around shouting “MIKE PARTY OF 2!” Lol.
Did you get seated in time to at least taste the burger?

David
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:33 am

The infamous burger
Originally Posted by DELee
Did you get seated in time to at least taste the burger?

David
I did! It was much the same as others have recently commented. Not a very attractive looking burger, tasted ok. Just like a standard cheeseburger you’d get anywhere and certainly not distinguishable as a “Polaris” product. Wife got the cookie skillet which was great.
Old May 10, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
I'll be flying SK business out of ORD/Terminal 5 next week. Is it possible to access terminal 1 and use the Polaris lounge even though I'm departing from a dfferent terminal?

Is the Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) in service again? (website says it has been suspended, but perhaps the pages are not updated).

In case I cannot use the TTB, is it easy to exit terminal 1 and get to terminal 5 (going through security again)?

Sorry if this question has been asked before:
Old May 10, 2022, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EBGflyer
I'll be flying SK business out of ORD/Terminal 5 next week. Is it possible to access terminal 1 and use the Polaris lounge even though I'm departing from a dfferent terminal?

Is the Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) in service again? (website says it has been suspended, but perhaps the pages are not updated).

In case I cannot use the TTB, is it easy to exit terminal 1 and get to terminal 5 (going through security again)?

I don’t think TTB is running again, but try checking the Midwest/Chicago destinations forum for more up to date information.

Using the train to go to t5 is pretty easy: 15min + whatever security time (pre/no pre) is ample.
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:05 am

:
Yes, SK business class qualifies for entering T1 Polaris Lounge.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Yes, SK business class qualifies for entering T1 Polaris Lounge.
Ah yes, did not read the question that way initially.

Mo problem using the lounge in t1 before the flight; if tsa checker says something about wrong terminal, just say you are aware and will just use lounge for a bit, and they will wave you through.
Xyzzy and EBGflyer like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Originally Posted by fumje
Ah yes, did not read the question that way initially.

Mo problem using the lounge in t1 before the flight; if tsa checker says something about wrong terminal, just say you are aware and will just use lounge for a bit, and they will wave you through.
Thx. Yes, was thinking about the TSA checker would tell me I had no business there.

I suppose, I would still have to check my bag at Terminal , before going to Terminal 1. And then go back to Terminal 5 for the flight. A bit of an ordeal to go to the Polaris lounge, but it's going to be my first time trying it out, so I just have to do it!
Old May 11, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
What's the breakfast buffet like these days? Is there a good selection of eggs, breakfast meat, fruit, etc? I saw the sit-down menu upthread and it looked really uninspiring. I'd like to know if I should use the hotel buffet (Hilton O'Hare, where I'll be staying the previous night but won't have free breakfast) or go for the Polaris lounge buffet when I fly out of ORD this summer.

Last edited by Unimatrix One; May 11, 2022 at 6:35 am
Old May 11, 2022, 6:18 am

Thx. Yes, was thinking about the TSA checker would tell me I had no business there.

I suppose, I would still have to check my bag at Terminal , before going to Terminal 1. And then go back to Terminal 5 for the flight. A bit of an ordeal to go to the Polaris lounge, but it's going to be my first time trying it out, so I just have to do it!
Correct, you have to check your bag at the SK counter in T5. The SWISS and Scandinavian lounges in T5 are uninspiring. Polaris Lounge in T1 is worth a visit. But it is a fair amount of schlepping to/fro.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Correct, you have to check your bag at the SK counter in T5. The SWISS and Scandinavian lounges in T5 are uninspiring. Polaris Lounge in T1 is worth a visit. But it is a fair amount of schlepping to/fro.
My understanding was that the SWISS lounge was permanently closed and the SK lounge had not yet reopened post-Covid. Is that not the case? (I admittedly haven't followed the SK lounge that closely but would be surprised to hear the decision re: the LX lounge was reversed given the construction in T5).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.