Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by edcho
Yes -- Once you hit plat, those 3k's will be "ignored" for your 1K qualification. You would have to earn an additional 3k miles to reach 1K.

While I understand why they put it in place, it doesn't make much sense for 1K fliers (or even Plats) to have.

I would rather see a limit based on the amount of BIS miles you flew that year. If you flew 20k BIS and they allowed 25% of the BIS to be transferred, then you can transfer 5k FEQM to reach silver. If you flew 65k, then you could transfer 15k to make plat.... etc.

That way, they can weed out the people who earn status by never flying (or fly a little).
Makes sense. Similar to Alaska which has its qualifying miles vs total qualifying miles for each tier.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
one of the reasons is to prevent people from getting 1K based purely on FEQMs. This was one solution (abet a poor solution IMO). However, they think elites are too entitled so it doesn't matter in the long run.
but they didn't stop people from buying to 1K via elite maximizer. That's what infuriates me about the change and was my primary reason for canceling.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
one of the reasons is to prevent people from getting 1K based purely on FEQMs. This was one solution (abet a poor solution IMO). However, they think elites are too entitled so it doesn't matter in the long run.
I just can't imagine this was a very big group of people. You'd have to spend a half-million dollars a year on the PP card in order to get 1K without any flying.

I was going to add "and what of it?" since people that don't fly that much don't dilute benefits for those that do just by having a 1K card. But I didn't take into account what could happen: the almost-all-FEQM 1K buys 3 round-trips in long-haul int'l coach to use their GPUs, and flies the rest on award tickets (they'd have 500,000 miles per year to spend, plus would be near the top of any standby list/waitlist they might be on).
Old May 20, 2012, 9:50 pm

just tried to convert my PP. i used a fee waiver for PP oct '11. the chase rep wouldn't let me convert and get even the first five months free (not charge the fee until october '12) - any good way around this?
Old May 21, 2012, 6:19 am
RNE

Let my highlight the salient part of my point. UA doesn't care about anyone who never flies or flies very little.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat / DL-Silver / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
but they didn't stop people from buying to 1K via elite maximizer. That's what infuriates me about the change and was my primary reason for canceling.
I can understand your comment about Elite Maximizer in principle, but keep in mind the Elite Maximizer prices were not cheap. By the time you've bought the base RDMs then paid to upgrade them to EQMs, you've essentially paid for another ticket. So the airline earned revenue of another ticket without the cost or removing another seat from inventory. Why wouldn't such EQMs count fully towards any EQM goal ?

Back to the FEQM, I agree it seems trivial to restict them to Plat or below. It kinda restricts the card from the people who would use it the most. It would take a lot of purchases to have enough EQM to make 1K. But I don't see why a BIS Plat who is border-line 1K should be restricted from using FEQM for the bump up. Isn't that person's spending on the card likely to be higher than say a Silver, and isn't that spending earning the airline some revenue ? The guess the answer is that FEQM revenue is small incremental revenue, while Elite Maximizer is more "direct".
Old May 21, 2012, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by xerenthar
just tried to convert my PP. i used a fee waiver for PP oct '11. the chase rep wouldn't let me convert and get even the first five months free (not charge the fee until october '12) - any good way around this?
Why not apply for the new card and cancel the old one when you receive the new ne? That's simple, and the new card will be free for a year.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:14 pm

Number of companions eligible for free checked bags. Free checked bags will apply to you and one additional person traveling on the same reservation effective January 1, 2012. This change does not apply to OnePass Elite members.

From the first post by UA insider.

Does this mean that with the card a silver elite flying to TLV gets 2 bags for each person?
Old May 23, 2012, 3:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by airfly56
Number of companions eligible for free checked bags. Free checked bags will apply to you and one additional person traveling on the same reservation effective January 1, 2012. This change does not apply to OnePass Elite members.

From the first post by UA insider.

Does this mean that with the card a silver elite flying to TLV gets 2 bags for each person?
means regardless of status the primary PresPlus cardholder and a companion on the same PNR, each received 2 free checked bags each on united flights anywhere in the world.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
means regardless of status the primary PresPlus cardholder and a companion on the same PNR, each received 2 free checked bags each on united flights anywhere in the world.
I'm confused. It used to be all companions would get free bags, they changed that so only one companion gets free bags, but the change doesnt apply to elites, so don't elites have all companions getting free bags, no matter how many companions?
Old May 23, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by airfly56
I'm confused. It used to be all companions would get free bags, they changed that so only one companion gets free bags, but the change doesnt apply to elites, so don't elites have all companions getting free bags, no matter how many companions?
you can get your elite bonus, but that is only 1 bag per companion. What you can not do is stack the benefits -- the elite benefit on top of the credit card benefit (which is only for one companion).

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Number of companions eligible for free checked bags. Free checked bags will apply to you and one additional person traveling on the same reservation effective January 1, 2012. This change does not apply to OnePass Elite members. ...
I reread the first posting and not sure what the reference to Elite Members means. I thought the two bag limit was always limited to the primary cardholder and just one companion.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reason: reread post #1
Old May 23, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Last person I talked to at the M+SC was pretty damn confident that you could transfer FEQM before you hit Plat and they would count towards 1k.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by ~tc~
Last person I talked to at the M+SC was pretty damn confident that you could transfer FEQM before you hit Plat and they would count towards 1k.
and what do you do with the statement from UA Insider and others that will not work??
Old May 24, 2012, 12:11 pm

I reread the first posting and not sure what the reference to Elite Members means. I thought the two bag limit was always limited to the primary cardholder and just one companion.
it used to be all on the same reservation were exempt so if that hasn't changed for elites you'd think they'd still be exempt. anyone know for sure?
Old May 24, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
and what do you do with the statement from UA Insider and others that will not work??
I have about 10K of FEQM sitting in my account, I am hoping (naively I am sure) that at some point they might reconsider the wisdom of making them worthless for plats and above. One thought I had.. Can I gift them to someone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.