Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:45 am

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RNE
But it's not likely they will exist for long. The sunsetting of new FEQM-earning credit cards is a clear prelude to ending the whole program.
I don't believe this is necessarily true. The Mileage Plus Signature Platinum Visa (or something like that), with 5K annual EQM @$35K spend hasn't been available for several years, but remains valid for existing cardholders.

Bill
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
Originally Posted by beltway
From post #1 of this thread:
How long should it take until it starts waiving the fee?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dontlikeflying
My experience has been a little different than that suggested by others, so I've decided to register (as opposed to just lurk) with my experience...

I am a PP cardholder. High spender (50k to 100k per month). Have had the card since early in 2011.

My plan was to build FEQM in 2011, transfer them on Jan 1, 2012, and then fly the extra 25k to get to 1k.

I transferred 75k FEQM on Jan 5, 2012. I flew about 20k miles through April 12th, but earned about 25,040k EQM with fare and class of service bonus.

Although it took a call as soon as the additional EQMs were posted to put me over 100k, the agent put me on hold for a few minutes then came back and told me that my status had been upgraded to 1k.

MY ONLY REASON for considering this card was the FEQM. I was really pissed at CO and AMEX for ending their partnership and Gold Elite status for the Amex Centurion card holders.

As it turns out, it has been vastly superior in benefits to the AMEX Centurion at a fraction of the cost.

Don't get me wrong - i would NEVER drop my Centurion card, but Amex has lost a significant amount of spend that now goes to Chase.

HOWEVER, I was also told by an agent that when transferring FEQM to your status, you can only transfer FEQMs to the point that you get a total of 75k. From the 75k point, you must actually fly to get to 1k.

I do hope that this experience helps those in a similar situation.
I have the same spending with my PP card and had the same experience that you had in upgrading to 1K. I was given the choice of using my FEQM's to upgrade to Gold that would be valid for 2012-13 or upgrade to 1K which would be valid only from Mar. 1, 2012 through the end of 2012.

I thought that I could fly 25,000 miles and use 75,000 FEQM's to get to 1K next year. The 1 K line and several post in the thread confirm that,
I WAS WRONG. You cannot get to 1 K with FEQM's, only Platinum.
While I will miss 1 K status, Platinum is pretty close.

I plan on keeping the my existing PP Card to guarantee my future FEQM's and Platinum. I will also add the new United Card to gain the double miles on total spending.

I hope this helps others in our position.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by MLM JET
How long should it take until it starts waiving the fee?
Beats me. I would call Chase customer service and ask.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:20 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by BillShepp
I don't believe this is necessarily true. The Mileage Plus Signature Platinum Visa (or something like that), with 5K annual EQM @$35K spend hasn't been available for several years, but remains valid for existing cardholders.
Touch. We'll have to wait and see. I hope you are right.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Just a heads up, National status matched me to Emerald Club Executive Elite just by sending them a photo of the Avis President's Club card I received as part of the PP card benefits.

https://statusmatch.emeraldclub.com/

Found that link in this handy little thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...ns-thread.html
Old May 17, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: One or two :)
Originally Posted by paule123
Just a heads up, National status matched me to Emerald Club Executive Elite just by sending them a photo of the Avis President's Club card I received as part of the PP card benefits.
Thank you for reposting this link. My Avis card did not have a date on it. Did yours, and did they still accept it?

If not - I do believe I still have a copy of the Avis welcome letter
Old May 18, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
THANKS!

Found that link in this handy little thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...ns-thread.html
Wow, I've had the PP card for years and I did not know that this benefit (Avis PC) was available. So I signed up for that AND then did the National match.

Thanks alot.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by COIAHLGW
Thank you for reposting this link. My Avis card did not have a date on it. Did yours, and did they still accept it?

If not - I do believe I still have a copy of the Avis welcome letter
My Avis card does not have a date on it, and they accepted it.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I am still a bit confused on the FEQM limits -- I have the old CO PrezPlus card. I estimated my flights for the remainder of the year and saw that I will be about 3,000 PQM's short of re-qualifying for 1k.

I am currently at 70,000 PQM's right now, so I transferred 3k feqm's into my account and am still short of the 75k upper limit for applying FEQM's.

I transferred before I hit 75k, and my total PQM's equal less than 75k right now, so if I hit exactly 100,000 PQM's at the end of the year, will I still be short 3k?

Meaning, even though I transferred the FEQM's before I hit 75k do those become null and void once I rise above the 75k upper limit?

It has been said a bunch in this thread that FEQM's can only be used up to the 75k limit. Okay, I have done that and am good. However, if the amount from this point forward to 1k is BIS miles, will my FEQM's that I have already used not count?

Confusing, but I hope that some light can be shed onto this subject for me. :-:
Old May 20, 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by theblakefish
I am still a bit confused on the FEQM limits -- I have the old CO PrezPlus card. I estimated my flights for the remainder of the year and saw that I will be about 3,000 PQM's short of re-qualifying for 1k.

I am currently at 70,000 PQM's right now, so I transferred 3k feqm's into my account and am still short of the 75k upper limit for applying FEQM's.

I transferred before I hit 75k, and my total PQM's equal less than 75k right now, so if I hit exactly 100,000 PQM's at the end of the year, will I still be short 3k?

Meaning, even though I transferred the FEQM's before I hit 75k do those become null and void once I rise above the 75k upper limit?

It has been said a bunch in this thread that FEQM's can only be used up to the 75k limit. Okay, I have done that and am good. However, if the amount from this point forward to 1k is BIS miles, will my FEQM's that I have already used not count?

Confusing, but I hope that some light can be shed onto this subject for me. :-:
Yes -- Once you hit plat, those 3k's will be "ignored" for your 1K qualification. You would have to earn an additional 3k miles to reach 1K.

While I understand why they put it in place, it doesn't make much sense for 1K fliers (or even Plats) to have.

I would rather see a limit based on the amount of BIS miles you flew that year. If you flew 20k BIS and they allowed 25% of the BIS to be transferred, then you can transfer 5k FEQM to reach silver. If you flew 65k, then you could transfer 15k to make plat.... etc.

That way, they can weed out the people who earn status by never flying (or fly a little).

Last edited by edcho; May 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
Originally Posted by edcho
Yes -- Once you hit plat, those 3k's will be "ignored" for your 1K qualification. You would have to earn an additional 3k miles to reach 1K.

While I understand why they put it in place, it doesn't make much sense for 1K fliers (or even Plats) to have.

I would rather see a limit based on the amount of BIS miles you flew that year. If you flew 20k BIS and they allowed 25% of the BIS to be transferred, then you can transfer 5k FEQM to reach silver. If you flew 65k, then you could transfer 15k to make plat.... etc.

That way, they can weed out the people who earn status by never flying (or fly a little).
+1^
Old May 20, 2012, 6:50 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by edcho
...they can weed out the people who earn status by never flying (or fly a little).
Like they care about someone who never flies or flies very little.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Like they care about someone who never flies or flies very little.
one of the reasons is to prevent people from getting 1K based purely on FEQMs. This was one solution (abet a poor solution IMO). However, they think elites are too entitled so it doesn't matter in the long run.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:21 pm

I did this too, but for the most part I find avis's rates to be lower than national across the board, the only time i rented that national was lower than avis was out of PBI

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.