Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:58 pm
Formerly known as mmihalik

Thumbs up

For a contrary viewpoint, I plan to keep my PresPlus cardfor the following reasons:

- for the cities I frequent, the clubs are in great shape, plus the local PDX Club recently expanded its hours so it is useful for both early morning and late evening flights. The showers in Newark also are quite useful when returning from Europe visits
- son frequently travels between EWR and West Coast on award tickets from my miles and has been upgraded to First about 50% of the time on the non-stop, as well as when routed via flights thru Houston.
- we travel as a family many times, and we avoid tight connections. So having the respite in the club during connections or delays is welcome. We also like to get to the airport early, and getting recharged in the club is also nice

The fact that United Club access costs less via the Mastercard instead of the normal annual Club membership is also welcome.

Finally, the FPQM earned via my spend plus bonus miles really helps get me to Platinum status each year. I just hope this continues after I am forced after the next renewal in the Fall.

Of course, I'd have to agree that if my travel plans changed significantly, I too would be hard pressed to continue the card.

Finally, each of us has to evaluate the value of the benefit received. I've easily justified my investment with the card.^
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:56 pm

I keep the card almost solely for Avis PC status
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: many
Originally Posted by theblakefish
After careful consideration, I have OFFICIALLY cancelled my old Chase CO PresidentialPlus card.

The United Clubs just arent worth it to me anymore. I carry free internet with a backup with me at all times, the restrooms in the United Clubs honestly are not any cleaner than the ones in most terminals, and the free drinks just arent not worth the $375 fee. Yes, it is quiet and I might need it for a strategic phone call at times, but I have a few other options for lounge access through 1) the 2 passes I egt through my UA Explorer Card, 2) LoungePass, and 3) My PriorityPass membership through my HH Amex.

Pretty sad, if you think about it, but my travels increasingly take me away from places that only have old Presidents Clubsand the pmUA United Clubs, like pmUA aircraft, just arent up to snuff yet and certainly arent worth the extra effort or cost.

I have had this card since 2005, and I certainly didnt want to let that credit history go, so the agent moved me to a no fee Chase UA Visa card that allowed me to keep the credit history and not have a new account hit on my report. Since I have decided that the United Clubs arent worth it, I did not get the United Club Card eitheralthough I might in the future if I change my mind.
Don't you worry, you won't feel bad about cancelling it. Continental is now no longer promoting the use of the card for - access outside united clubs and select - SELECT star alliance clubs. Ie you'll be provided with entrance to those at the time of checkin versus what was available before as a pp member. Forget all those other clubs that used to be available for $400/yr, you now only get processed cheese and crackers and discounted swill.

Good luck to all, CO is quietly screwing every one of those who shelled out for club membership based on what you used to have access to.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pcharles
Don't you worry, you won't feel bad about cancelling it. Continental is now no longer promoting the use of the card for - access outside united clubs and select - SELECT star alliance clubs. Ie you'll be provided with entrance to those at the time of checkin versus what was available before as a pp member. Forget all those other clubs that used to be available for $400/yr, you now only get processed cheese and crackers and discounted swill.
Where has it been indicated that the provided United Club membership is in any way inferior to the membership offered in the past, or the membership available for purchase? As far as I have seen, Club members through the PresPlus card can still access any UA or US lounge without a BP, and all business class-level *A lounges with a same-day BP.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by 14940674
Where has it been indicated that the provided United Club membership is in any way inferior to the membership offered in the past, or the membership available for purchase? As far as I have seen, Club members through the PresPlus card can still access any UA or US lounge without a BP, and all business class-level *A lounges with a same-day BP.
Continental's website has taken down all reference and information on "exception" lounges that are (were) available. Exception lounges are also not referenced on the Star Alliance lounge finder. Unless you already knew which ones CO has a partnership with them and you should be able to use them or a contract lounge, then you are screwed. UnitedClub agents are not helpful, unless its listed on their site, then they have no idea (are pretending) that they are not available.

Again, this is just another evidential sign of what's being put into motion on the changes you will not like...
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
I'm keeping my PP card. 2mi/$ on car rentals and hotels makes it my main card for business trips. Is the FEQM concept being slowly killed off? Yes. But at least this card still has it.

The UA Club card, only has 1.5mi/$ on everything over the CO PP card. I don't see any other advantage the Club card has over the PP card. And I still have a UA Select card to earn 2mi/$ on gas, groceries, dining, home improvement.

I can see why some might switch to Chase Sapphire Preferred for high earning and transferring into UA MP.

But I don't see a major advantage to switching to the UA Club card and dropping the PP card.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by pcharles
Continental's website has taken down all reference and information on "exception" lounges that are (were) available. Exception lounges are also not referenced on the Star Alliance lounge finder. Unless you already knew which ones CO has a partnership with them and you should be able to use them or a contract lounge, then you are screwed. UnitedClub agents are not helpful, unless its listed on their site, then they have no idea (are pretending) that they are not available.

Again, this is just another evidential sign of what's being put into motion on the changes you will not like...
Are you referring to what I like to call the "Super List" of all the lounges all over the world (United Clubs, all Star Alliance member lounges and Contract Lounges)?

You still have access to those available lounges whether you got your access through the PPlus, United Club CC or bought a UC membership.

My guess to the reason that list no longer appears is because it wasn't maintained like it should have been. Clubs open and close and the agreements with the Contract Lounges start and end as well. It was probably decided it was too much work to research and update the list regularaly so it was decided to drop the whole thing.

As proof of what I am talking about, on the United Club list, it lists the Paris (CDG) club as "The Paris United Club will be closing effective March 31, 2012." That was nearly three months ago.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
So it's not 100% clear to me how the changes affect things w/ applying the flex miles. I've got 6k flex miles and debating when I should use them - though that all becomes moot if I drop the pp card and move to chase sapphire (already have) and united club (don't have yet but getting for free for the 1st year vs paying for the pp sounds like a good deal) cards only.

I'm at 56k eqm for the year, likely to hit plat based on remaining travel for the year, but would only hit 1k if i start doing mileage runs or work changes. MRs become more palatable if I don't have to do 20k miles of them. If I apply my 6k flex miles now, and get up to 62k and fly the rest, it seems I'l have no problem getting plat. However will the 6k count towards 1k status later or will they say I've got to hit all 100k as true eqm. (eg, will they strip the 6k away from that status level)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by brarrr
So it's not 100% clear to me how the changes affect things w/ applying the flex miles. I've got 6k flex miles and debating when I should use them - though that all becomes moot if I drop the pp card and move to chase sapphire (already have) and united club (don't have yet but getting for free for the 1st year vs paying for the pp sounds like a good deal) cards only.

I'm at 56k eqm for the year, likely to hit plat based on remaining travel for the year, but would only hit 1k if i start doing mileage runs or work changes. MRs become more palatable if I don't have to do 20k miles of them. If I apply my 6k flex miles now, and get up to 62k and fly the rest, it seems I'l have no problem getting plat. However will the 6k count towards 1k status later or will they say I've got to hit all 100k as true eqm. (eg, will they strip the 6k away from that status level)
The 6k will not count towards the 1k status -- it must be true 100k pqms (i.e. they will strip away the 6k).

Just FYI -- if you drop the PP card, you should still be able to keep the FlexPQMs until they expire (39 months after it was earned).
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:41 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by brarrr
I've got 6k flex miles and debating when I should use them...I'm at 56k eqm for the year, likely to hit plat based on remaining travel for the year, but would only hit 1k if i start doing mileage runs or work changes.
Given your situation this year, you probably won't find much use for your flex miles, but they can be a life saver in future years. See my comments below.

Originally Posted by edcho
...if you drop the PP card, you should still be able to keep the FlexPQMs until they expire (39 months after it was earned).
edcho is correct about the use of Flex miles still being valid after cancelling the card that garnered them, however the 39 month expiration applies solely to miles earned after UA began expiring them. Previously-earned miles never* expire. I recommend saving those miles for a year when dire circumstances drastically reduce your travels.

*Never, of course, is never really never.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
This will be my last post in this thread, as my old President's Club membership expires at midnight tonight and I am not renewing my PresidentialPlus card, nor changing to the United Club card. Enjoying the lack of Rondele and somewhat-suspect icewater in the Copa Club PTY as a sendoff.

I like PTY...it seems to be the last bastion of CO signage.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 5:52 am
RNE

Originally Posted by theblakefish
This will be my last post in this thread...
Whew! I thought he'd never leave! Now we oh so smug club members can trash-talk that upstart theblakefish!

RNE, just kidding you, Blake Baby. Going to miss seeing you in the Clubs with your Estes Kefauver shoes propped on the tables while thumbing through Bettie Page magazines. Oh, wait. That was me!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RNE
Oh, wait. That was me!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by RNE
Whew! I thought he'd never leave! Now we oh so smug club members can trash-talk that upstart theblakefish!

RNE, just kidding you, Blake Baby. Going to miss seeing you in the Clubs with your Estes Kefauver shoes propped on the tables while thumbing through Bettie Page magazines. Oh, wait. That was me!
RNE: Often imitated but never duplicated! :-:
Old Aug 10, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
I know that a couple of people were transferring flex miles when they were above platinum this year so see if they will count toward 1K or not. Anybody had any luck with this?
I know the 'official' word is NO, but there was some discussion back in June about what people thought about UA's ability to enforce this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.