Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Flex Elite Qualification Miles may not be applied beyond the 75K EQM threshold. Starting with the 2012 Elite program, Flexible EQMs can be redeemed to achieve up to Platinum Elite status (or equivalent). Flex EQMs earned prior to January 1, 2012, will continue to have no expiration date. The earning ratio remains the same (1,000 Flex EQMs for every $5,000 you spend with the Card).
How are "old" and "new" miles accounted for when applied? First-in-first-out where the non-expiring FEQMs go first, or the opposite where the non-expiring FEQMs are last to go?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:25 am

I am a PPlus cardholder and also have the same question others asked (and registered for this forum just to re-ask) -- can you please confirm that there will be *NO* cap on the FEQM earned?

There are various rumors suggesting we could be capped at 5,000 FEQM (after hitting $25,000). I can live with all the other changes (though I'm not exactly happy about them), but the mileage cap could be a dealbreaker for me because I spend much more than that every year.

Last edited by ViewFromTheSky; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:42 am
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:50 am

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
So if I typically fly 75K per year, do I need to apply 25K of my flex miles first thing next year and then fly the 75 K in order to hit 100K? It is not that hard to game this system: just use your miles before you accrue the 75 K number. For someone that hardly flies but spends a lot of $$, you can apply 74 K of flex miles early in the year and fly 26 K miles to reach 100K

One more dumb question. Suppose I charge more than $375 K in a year, for arguments sake $500 K and earn 100 K FEQM's a year. Assume I never pay to fly (I just use points) and apply 75K FEQM's per year to get platinum status. After doing this 3 years straight do I at least get regular miles for the forfeited FEQM's or do they end up just evaporating?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 21, 2011 at 9:27 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by bloodyeyeballs
One more dumb question. Suppose I charge more than $375 K in a year, for arguments sake $500 K and earn 100 K FEQM's a year. Assume I never pay to fly (I just use points) and apply 75K FEQM's per year to get platinum status. After doing this 3 years straight do I at least get regular miles for the forfeited FEQM's or do they end up just evaporating?
Based on the new rules, it appears that if you charge more then $1.125M in ~ three years to the card you will never be able to redeem all the FEQMs before they expire. If you don't redeem 75k FEQM on Jan 1st every year its even worse.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:49 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Transcon35
As a CEO of a mid-sized national business myself, I have to ask: What kind of short-sighted folks do they have running these airlines? There is SUCH an opportunity for someone to come in and grab major market...
Remember: the airline and bank in question are spineless. They may back off on this shortsighted move. Complain to them.
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda
...can you please confirm that there will be *NO* cap on the FEQM earned?
Remember: even if they confirm that today, don't sigh too much in relief; they can always cap it tomorrow.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
So if I typically fly 75K per year, do I need to apply 25K of my flex miles first thing next year and then fly the 75 K in order to hit 100K? It is not that hard to game this system: just use your miles before you accrue the 75 K number. For someone that hardly flies but spends a lot of $$, you can apply 74 K of flex miles early in the year and fly 26 K miles to reach 100K
+1
Next year is looking like about 75K BIS miles, and was planning to add Flex EQMs to 1K. If I transfer them in January will United kick them back to me in December?

What a foolish move...My Amex Platinum stays and this one goes without repeal of these new restrictions.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:38 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

No limit on Flex EQMs that can be earned

Originally Posted by edcho
Can you address the following quote from the website?

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...splus/faq.aspx (1,000 Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) for every $5,000 spent up to $25,000)

Is there an actual mileage limit to the Flex EQMs now (you can only earn up to 5,000 flex miles)?
Hi edcho, the information regarding the cap in Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) is incorrect. There is no limit on the numbe of Flex EQMs that Cardmembers can earn. The information on the website will be corrected soon.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:46 am

Hi edcho, the information regarding the cap in Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) is incorrect. There is no limit on the numbe of Flex EQMs that Cardmembers can earn. The information on the website will be corrected soon.

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
Thank you! This is good news and I believe half the PPlus people here were going bonkers over it. ^
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Smart idea, but I would imagine in this case, once you hit 75K you would just stay there, chewing up the 75K of FEQM's you used until it's gone, and only then would you start your way to 100K.

Shannon, thanks for the clarity on earning FEQM's (why cap earning them when it represents real income to Chase?). The issue is the restriction on redeeming them. I think we all get that you only want FEQM's used to get to Silver, Gold, or Platinum (but no higher). Could you please help those of us who spend a lot on the card and already earn 75,000 EQM's/year understand why this card is still a good value?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:45 am

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
I'm definitely going to have to re-evaluate my spending moving forward. I'm not sure I will get rid of the card, but my monthly $10K-$15K is likely to be reduced SIGNIFICANTLY and moved over to something like an Amex Surpass card where $20K each year gets you HH Gold. Also will move more dollars towards SPG Amex. I reckon I will reduce my spending on this card (if these new "enhancements" hold) by about 60% to 70%.

Bad Move UA...you guys have (had) a great product in the PP Card that was truly giving premium cards a run for their money and now have made it medicore at best...this coming from someone who charges EVERYTHING on this card...probably not anymore...

#FAIL
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:58 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Smart idea, but I would imagine in this case, once you hit 75K you would just stay there, chewing up the 75K of FEQM's you used until it's gone, and only then would you start your way to 100K.

Exactly. I'm guessing the rollover to or requal for 1K doesn't happen until 100K real EQMs are in the bank. You could have 105K EQMS and still be a plat if 10K of those are from the card.

Of course, this assumes there still is a 1K in the new program, rather than just a 75K level and then a PP/GS level.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:58 am

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
Thank you! It sounds like I will keep my card after all.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 2 Million Miler, UA 1K, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thanks a Lot

Now that I just got the card and changed all my auto-pay items over to the PP card, I'm going to have to change them back to my AMEX Plat.

This is a serious devaluation of any benefit that this card had. I'm going to stick with my AMEX plat and suck up the lounge fee (less the $200 credit from AMEX).

While I'm at it Chase, your website for purchases just really is pathetic. I'll be looking forward to getting my AMEX website back anyway.

Looks like they don't want my 20K monthly spend, I'll take it to somebody that does.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Exactly. I'm guessing the rollover to or requal for 1K doesn't happen until 100K real EQMs are in the bank. You could have 105K EQMS and still be a plat if 10K of those are from the card.

Of course, this assumes there still is a 1K in the new program, rather than just a 75K level and then a PP/GS level.
I don't see this? Speculation or are you getting it from the wording of the "enhancements" currently used?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
So, clarification on the use of FEQMs:

Let's say I've got 20k of FEQM. December 30th, I've got 150k EQM, so I can't use them... but January 1st, I have 0 EQM. Can I now put the 20k of FEQM into my empty account and then fly 80k and have 1K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.