Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by fragment54
Didn't mean to come off as attacking you, I'm really frustrated with this as well. I was hoping it wasn't something you were directly told (since that would make it a fact about a "change you'll like").
No offense taken.

It was just my guess at how they'll apply the elite level ceiling. The 1K gonkulator will have a code line that checks to see if the 100K EQMs were all BIS EQMS. Until that threshold is reached, no 1K status, regardless of when or how FEQMs were applied.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
If I am going to lose my bonus miles and the flex EQM's will expire, than there is absolutely no reason to keep the card.

A big to these changes.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'm rarely going to fly enough in a year to hit 75k, so the cap doesn't bother me too much. On the other hand, the loss of the 25% elite bonus seems absurd. It was a great feature of the card.

It does seem that all the benefit changes would not be strategically aligned at getting top-tier elites to sign up for the card. There's now nothing of significant value that isn't already received by top-tier elites or can be gotten for a cheaper cost. (the 75k limit does kill the point of Flex EQMs, and now they expire on top of that.)

This card was an Amex Plat killer. The changes are making it not be one.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:23 pm

I have the CO OP Plus card and was waiting for news of this card to upgrade. With no 25% bonus miles I'll pass. All my business expenses go on my Corp Amex so Flex miles mean little to me. Also the free bags benefit is if for any reason I lose status
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Well... if I read this correctly, the better a CO customer the less the benefits of using this card after January.
  • FlexEQM worthless if you earn 75k BIS or more for three years running (unless one can at least credit to lifetime status... but from other posts it would seem that you cannot credit at all if you're over 75k for the year).
  • Loss of 25% bonus RDM
  • Bag Fees don't matter

At present, my spouse and I each got one of these cards this year... I've already accumulated 11k FlexEQM. Next year we would probably drop one or both cards. If we kept anything it'd be for pclub membership... and we could do an actual membership + spouse. BUT... one could also get one of several cards available at lower cost that provide full PP membership. That plus *G should be sufficient. So... I think it's back to Plat for spend, and Accolades for PP membership come Jan 1.

UA Insider: Why reduce the benefits to your best customers? Some alternative suggestions:
  • Reduce the cost of the card based on elite level (to account for the reduced benfits)
  • Eliminate the Expiration of EQM... or at least extend to 39 months after it could have been used, and allow it to apply towards lifetime EQM.
  • Extend benefits to additional cardholders - allow flexeqm to be used for them vs. primary.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA Insider, can I use my old (non-expiring) FEQMs to go beyond the 75K EQM limit? I have many tens of thousands of these things, and it would be unfortunate if they all suddenly became valueless because I fly more than 75,000 miles a year.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by UA Insider

Benefit Changes
[*]Elite mileage bonus to be removed. The 25% Continental flight mileage bonus for OnePass Elite members will be discontinued sometime in Q1 2012 (you will not get the bonus for flights after this date). In the interim, you will continue to receive this benefit only on Continental flights.[/LIST][/INDENT]
Changes? LOL.....more like downgrades.

The loss of the 25% RDM Bonus is a big downgrade to this card....there is nothing additional to this card that makes up for this big downgrade. Chase likely looses me due to this. I was a big holdout on the airline miles cards because i think that they are of marginal value for the frequent flier relative to hotel point cards.

Half of the benefits... if not more... are granted to elites anyways. If you're not an elite, how useful is this card really? They just use elite benefits to bloat up the list of benefits.

I love how they talk about added benefits that ua elites have had for years.... typical. They want to talk about something they're not taking away and act like it is some great new addition. (see the retention of economy plus for a nice example of this)

I keep trying to find redeeming value in this merger... I'm finding nothing. This is another example.

Originally Posted by theblakefish
If I am going to lose my bonus miles and the flex EQM's will expire, than there is absolutely no reason to keep the card.

A big to these changes.
Airlines are so good at killling anything good they might come up with....

Last edited by Renard; Jul 21, 2011 at 6:25 pm
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The million dollar question for me is whether you can apply 75k FEQM and then earn the last 25k as BIS. Or, if you have more than 75k BIS in a year, the FEQM don't count at all. I can't imagine that's the scenario they want, as it makes the benefit of the card absolutely worthless to top tier flyers.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by entropy
The million dollar question for me is whether you can apply 75k FEQM and then earn the last 25k as BIS. Or, if you have more than 75k BIS in a year, the FEQM don't count at all. I can't imagine that's the scenario they want, as it makes the benefit of the card absolutely worthless to top tier flyers.
Worthless? and UACO, you somehow see a contradiction? I swear they are trying to drive away customers, too many Elites, they said it themselves, thin the herd, push them on to DL or AA.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:12 pm

Add me to the list that will cancel this card when the next annual fee is due, because of the loss of the additional 25% RDM bonus.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by SS255
As someone who has been flying over 75K for the past 3 years, and holds a lifetime PC membership (which now I am in fear will also become worthless), this card no longer holds any value for me. I already get half of the benefits from all the flying I do, and the other half I either have no use for, or could get the same or similar benefits from another credit card.
I'm in the same boat with you on this one.

Originally Posted by elcid3
as for me, since i'm elite every year any way, the 25% RDM was one of my primary reasons for carrying the card. I also spent a lot via shop onepass because of the double miles.
These where the top selling points for me, the FEQMs were secondary.

Originally Posted by mbreuer
Well... if I read this correctly, the better a CO customer the less the benefits of using this card after January.
That's exactly how I see it as well.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
So, on reflection, it seems like an amazing coincidence that Citi/AA launched their competitor to this card the same week that Chase/United decided to gut theirs.

Here's the AA version: https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ld-mastercard/

While the 10k EQM for $40k of spend isn't unlimited like FEQM, the rate of 1k EQM for $4k instead of 1k EQM for $5k is better. Same $450 fee. No Int'l fee and a EMV chip coming this year.

Or maybe I feel like the Delta version: https://www295.americanexpress.com/c...e=deltareserve

Their EQM ("MQM") is 15k MQM for $30k of spend (but only at $30k/$60k) works out to 1k for $2k of spend for the same $450. The biggest negative is the Delta card still has Int'l fees.

Thanks, United. Every additional announced change makes it tougher to justify my loyalty as a 1K. (*sigh*) At least if I make a jump, FEQM might be super helpful in getting myself a soft landing next year to 1P while I'm changing over.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
I am kind of wondering if they are positioning this card a little "lower" to come out with something more targeted to high (75k+ mile flyers) elites.

Let's face it, if you're a silver/low gold this card is a pretty damn good package. At *G, things change a bit because of the club membership.

If I end up a couple thousand EQM short of Platinum this year (like I did Gold last year), a few FEQM off my purchases will be a HUGE deal.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
This stinks!

No 25% rdm bonus, expiring flex eqms, 75k limits, 1 companion baggage benefit limit.
They've taken away the key benefits of card and added nothing of value
Downgrades keep coming.

A sad state for top tier elites of COUA.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by ~tc~
I am kind of wondering if they are positioning this card a little "lower" to come out with something more targeted to high (75k+ mile flyers) elites.
If this is their plan, they sure went about it bass ackwards. The PP card was very unique in that it offered great flexibility for EQM earning and application, as well as the 25% elite bonus. To yank the 25% elite bonus and restrict the FEQM application for the top tiers without first dangling a bigger and better carrot in front of them is a terrible business move.

I don't know what's going on over there, but it seems to me that UA feels that they already have too many elites at the 75K+ level, the PC's and RCC's are too crowded, and they'd sooner drive some of that lucrative business to AA & DL and their lounges. All I can say is .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.