Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by belynch
If it matters to you, they can send you an embossed card. Just call and ask.

(If you travel in whacky places, which I'm sure a lot of us do, there are still folks that require an "imprint" of your card. I had a nasty run in with Avis in CPT and a non-embossed CC)
Thanks for the tip, didn't know that. Now if it only had Chip+Pin for those other "whacky places" in Europe...
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I've converted from a personal PP to a Business MPClub card and each time I've had to call in and get them to send me the old style card. I travel to/from Canada quite a bit and many of the taxi/limos are still using the old physical imprint card swipers for CC transactions. They can not process the new cards as the CC/Name/Expiration info is in the wrong place and its not raised enough to make a good impression.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by belynch
If it matters to you, they can send you an embossed card. Just call and ask.

(If you travel in whacky places, which I'm sure a lot of us do, there are still folks that require an "imprint" of your card. I had a nasty run in with Avis in CPT and a non-embossed CC)
I was worried when a dive shop wanted an imprint as a deposit for renting some equipment and I only had my PP card. We were both surprised that the flat numbers and letters still left a clear imprint when pressed with one of those back and forth sliding things.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:37 am

It does work (all be it small), but IME most places are not willing to try and see if it will work.

Hertz in PTY gave me trouble renting a car as they required a card with raised numbers and after calling a Mgr and then the head office, a colleague gave their card to solve the issue as Hertz was not willing to budge.

Dan
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:13 am
Formerly known as mmihalik

Nope, don't mind the sort of flat numbers. I think of it as another step in fraud protection. My new card was issued as a replacement due to fraud after an online order went awry. Chase detected it and called me. Handled replacement overnight.

Other comment mentioned the new card was made of metal. Son of a gun, it is! with plastic overlay. I like it.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by mmihalik
Nope, don't mind the sort of flat numbers. I think of it as another step in fraud protection. My new card was issued as a replacement due to fraud after an online order went awry. Chase detected it and called me. Handled replacement overnight.

Other comment mentioned the new card was made of metal. Son of a gun, it is! with plastic overlay. I like it.
Interesting, after fraud with my flat numbered card, they replaced it with a traditional raised number card.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:38 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mmihalik
Nope, don't mind the sort of flat numbers. I think of it as another step in fraud protection.
Trigger happy Chase has "detected" 7 of the last 2 instances of fraud with my card.

RNE, tired of false alarms and explaining to the Chase rep, "Yes, I really did buy that $5000 bullwhip once wielded by Bettie Page. What of it!?"
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:44 pm
RNE

Speak of the devil

Just got the statement for my Chase Ink card and noticed a fraudulent charge for $519.17. Chase didn't detect that one. I did. The bank seems better at detecting frauds that aren't than frauds that are. YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by RNE
Just got the statement for my Chase Ink card and noticed a fraudulent charge for $519.17. Chase didn't detect that one. I did. The bank seems better at detecting frauds that aren't than frauds that are. YMMV.
Nothing compares to the utter incompetance of Citi Early Warning "fraud protection" which has a 100% failure rate in detecting non-fraud on my accounts and a 0% success rate in detecting actual fraud. They have called me to detect 99 cent internet charges... for my own protection of course.

The card is my favorite, but I am considering giving it up over the "fraud protection" morons.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I've had pretty good success with the fraud protection on Chase. Two false-positives and 100% success on one actual fraud on two accounts over 2 years. And I don't think calling you when your purchasing habits change is necessarily a false-positive.

If it's tripping you up on international travel they do offer a way on their website to tell them about upcoming travel plans.

As for the unraised numbers, the raised numbers are convenience only - the merchant can just write down the numbers on your card by hand and it's just as valid as an imprint.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:49 am
RNE

Originally Posted by raehl311
If it's tripping you up on international travel they do offer a way on their website to tell them about upcoming travel plans.
I've had no problems internationally, thankfully. But to your point, via phone Chase has specifically told me it's not necessary to tell them of travel plans. They made that point so blunt, I got the impression they considered it a nuisance.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RNE
I've had no problems internationally, thankfully. But to your point, via phone Chase has specifically told me it's not necessary to tell them of travel plans. They made that point so blunt, I got the impression they considered it a nuisance.
I've had banks tell me that too. Then I mention Ukraine, Brazil or Colombia and they thank me fr telling them.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've had banks tell me that too. Then I mention Ukraine, Brazil or Colombia and they thank me fr telling them.
Same here, I have found that by calling the bank and alerting them to travel or potential strange charges seems to most time prevent the Fraud Dept. from raising the Red Flag.

Dan
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:33 pm

Chase actually has a section on its web site to alert them of your overseas travel plans. I do this EVERY time because I don't want to be stuck anywhere without a functioning credit card. You can only send in the note about a month in advance, but it's quite easy.

I'm not sure what I'll do about the card. I've accrued all of these "flex" PQMs but I've already made Platinum for next year. I have no idea what to do with them. My thought is that next year my plans may change, or I might want to shift my business to another carrier. This way I could keep at least Gold on United for another year if I wanted to do so.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
PP Flex toward 1k worked fine for me.

This was several months ago. I have my doubts it would work next year. I think they just haven't figured out how to code the restriction. Ideally, they would throw out the restriction as it is silly. I wish redeeming these still counted toward MM status!

Originally Posted by cjermain
I'm still waiting for someone to report their personal experience with this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.