Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by woolfcross
4. I don't mind buying Club membership--actually easier for me to tax-deduct as a travel expense than the Platinum Plus card.
Actually, airlineclub memberships are NT deductable for tax purposes in the USA.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:56 pm
RNE

...I would definitely pay more for the card if 25% RDM bonus and FEQMs that could be applied to 1K status were restored.
The Mother of All Credit Cards: An Open Letter to UACO & Chase
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Actually, airlineclub memberships are NT deductable for tax purposes in the USA.
Oops! Well, my accountant would have caught this--but still, good to know!
Thanks, Xyzzy!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Oops! Well, my accountant would have caught this--but still, good to know!
Thanks, Xyzzy!
That little tidbit is buried deep within IRS publication 17. Not to fear, though -- If you have a business and use your card for business purposes the business can deduct the annual fee f a credit card. If you choose the PP card guess what comes along with it...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Did they remove the discounted drink benefit of the card? I've been charged $7 for wine on two recent flights. IIRC, drinks used to be $5 with the card.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paule123
Did they remove the discounted drink benefit of the card? I've been charged $7 for wine on two recent flights. IIRC, drinks used to be $5 with the card.
I heard that they did. I do not have confirmation. They did nt remove the $3 discount on premium drinks at the Red Presidents Club -- I saw it listed on the menu at one of the EWR clubs last week.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured
Originally Posted by RNE
To clarify, the reward-ticket-upgrade benefit applies only to elite/premier passengers, not general members. I cannot say if this distinction is pertinent in your case, because you fail to identify your status in either your post or your bio.
We're both 1K, and we each have our own independent PresPlus cards.

Well, we'll try again next time. :-)
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I heard that they did. I do not have confirmation. They did nt remove the $3 discount on premium drinks at the Red Presidents Club -- I saw it listed on the menu at one of the EWR clubs last week.
Alas, I'm sitting here in the United Club at EWR and AFTER I ordered ord a (delicious) Rombauer Chardonnay and it was poured, I was told that UA is not offering premium wine/spirit discounts with the card anymore. Bartender said that was discontinued on 3/1.

Yet another reason to get rid of the darn thing...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alas, I'm sitting here in the United Club at EWR and AFTER I ordered ord a (delicious) Rombauer Chardonnay and it was poured, I was told that UA is not offering premium wine/spirit discounts with the card anymore. Bartender said that was discontinued on 3/1.

Yet another reason to get rid of the darn thing...
Bummer. Iiked the $3 Glenlivet 15. I hpe they have removed the menus that listed the discounts...
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Thanks for the advice - I tried calling the Service Center, and got a recording that the estimated hold time was 30 minutes.

I decided to go ahead and PM UA Insider to ask Shannon to take care of this. She replied right away ^ to say that she could do it, but I should expect it to be after 3/15 before I see the miles show up in my lifetime balance. That's fair, considering how many of these requests she has to process. But that also tells me that anyone considering doing this shouldn't wait until the last minute (just over 3 weeks from now). Just something to consider.
Update to this previous note. Checked my account and it's done. I show 0 FEQM's and the previous FEQM total now showing up in my lifetime balance. If any of you are planning to do this before the deadline at the end of March, I wouldn't wait much longer.

Nice that the FEQM's I earned in 2012 got added to the 2011 balance/lifetime balance as well.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:51 pm
RNE

This may have been previously reported, the new name of the card will be the following mouthful:

United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

I kid you not. Just got that information in a postal mailer from UA and Chase. Account numbers are not changing, which means it is remaining a MasterCard. No other changes were announced therein.

RNE, being the first to use the ungainly acronym UMPPPC.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:12 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ntial-plus.htm
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:42 pm

So where does the new Club card come in? And why do they have both the Club card and the Pres Plus card.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...club-card.html
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Ok, I'm not sure what is going on here, but I got the PP bonus on a flight after March 3. I thought that was suposed to have ended.

I am a little suspicious of this whole transaction though. I was not on a Y fare. I did get upgraded three times each way (I was traveling with family so I kept asking to be put back) and that may have messed up the fare class.

FWIW
DLM

3/10/2012 United 1284Y
Denver-Houston (IAH) Y / Y 862 862 1724 1,293 1.5
Presidential Plus 25% Elite Mileage Bonus 215 215 0
3/7/2012 United 0855Y
Houston (IAH)-San Francisco Y / Y 1635 1,635 3270 2,452 1.5
Presidential Plus 25% Elite Mileage Bonus 408 408 0
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by nova08
So where does the new Club card come in? And why do they have both the Club card and the Pres Plus card.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...club-card.html
They ahave not historically converted cards. On the PMCO side when they are discontinued. My wife has a Chase Continental VISA. It does not give a free bag as it was not offered to new customers years before bags were charged for. IIRC all it gives is $1 = 1 mile, 2 for continental (now united) spend

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.