Presidential Plus Card Changes

Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by salesna
I heard the same thing in a conversation with Chase about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, the representative couldn't provide any detail about when -- only "we plan to reintroduce the card at some point in the future." She also mentioned that this is a customer-driven change. Apparently Chase has been getting lots of complaints about how the new Club card does away with PQMs.

I should add that I've spoken with several other Chase representatives and none of them had heard anything about reintroducing the Presidential Plus card. Not sure what to make of this. Maybe the word hasn't filtered out to everyone yet. Or maybe it won't happen after all.
Sounds like a rogue CSR.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by soccerguy985
Sounds like a rogue CSR.
Yeah, maybe. But Howard reports hearing the same thing, which makes it more likely to be accurate. Unless, of course, we both got the same rogue CSR.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:15 pm
RNE

This vacillation could explain why Chase/United has been dragging its feet on implementing an accounting for XFEQMs. It's damning that such irresolution on the part of these corporate giants seems perfectly reasonable to us.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:16 pm

I called CHASE this evening to file my monthly complaint that I cannot get the UNITED Club Card as a Lifetime UC member at a discounted rate like I get for my PPlus card.

She said that there might be hope for a discounted UNITED Club card as she was recently briefed that they were bringing back the PPlus card and that card did have a Lifetime Member discounted rate, so things might be a changing in Wilmington, DE.

Dan
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by dan1431
I called CHASE this evening to file my monthly complaint that I cannot get the UNITED Club Card as a Lifetime UC member at a discounted rate like I get for my PPlus card.

She said that there might be hope for a discounted UNITED Club card as she was recently briefed that they were bringing back the PPlus card and that card did have a Lifetime Member discounted rate, so things might be a changing in Wilmington, DE.

Dan
Good to know. Thanks for the additional data point.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Originally Posted by zigenbock
I know that a couple of people were transferring flex miles when they were above platinum this year so see if they will count toward 1K or not. Anybody had any luck with this?
I know the 'official' word is NO, but there was some discussion back in June about what people thought about UA's ability to enforce this.
I'm still waiting for someone to report their personal experience with this!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA-1K--1MM, SPG- Titanium, HH-Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle, Global Entry
I was on the phone this very morning making the inquiry and apparently once you hit Plat, you are topped out in terms of how far they can take you with regards to elite status. And to add insult to injury..... get this, it gives you a false sense of where you are tracking throughout the year if you are tranferring them in as you go because let's say you hit 100K with a mix of flying and spending on the card. You assume you are at the 1K level, apparently not the case. You will need to subtract all the miles you tranferred in to find out how many more miles you actually need to hit 1K. Did I explain that right? This is how it was explained to me this morning. So once you are at 75K with a mix, that is it! To go farther you need to fly 100K per year otherwise they are useless, especially for us who hit 75K annually without the card but need a little push to get to the top.

Originally Posted by cjermain
I'm still waiting for someone to report their personal experience with this!
You will have to fly them, actually flown miles to hit 1K, from what I was told.

Originally Posted by brarrr
So it's not 100% clear to me how the changes affect things w/ applying the flex miles. I've got 6k flex miles and debating when I should use them - though that all becomes moot if I drop the pp card and move to chase sapphire (already have) and united club (don't have yet but getting for free for the 1st year vs paying for the pp sounds like a good deal) cards only.

I'm at 56k eqm for the year, likely to hit plat based on remaining travel for the year, but would only hit 1k if i start doing mileage runs or work changes. MRs become more palatable if I don't have to do 20k miles of them. If I apply my 6k flex miles now, and get up to 62k and fly the rest, it seems I'l have no problem getting plat. However will the 6k count towards 1k status later or will they say I've got to hit all 100k as true eqm. (eg, will they strip the 6k away from that status level)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 24, 2012 at 12:27 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA1K,MM
Worthless card if you are trying to maintain 1K.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Right, to make 1K, you have to have 100,000 non-flex EQM to get there. Note that that doesn't mean you have to FLY 100k EQM - you can still buy 1K for 4 UA segments and a bit under $10,000 in elite maximizer EQM.

I'm sitting on 28k flex EQM. I'm 1K. I'm thinking I should switch to the Club card.

What DOES suck is there is no discount on the Club card if you have more than one. Ideally I'd have one personal and two business cards, but they want to charge me $400 on each of them, which makes no sense. Can't do anything with 3 club memberships. Well, maybe I can bring in 4 guests? heh.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dan1431

Dan
I converted my PP card to a UC card earlier this year and was told my $100 annual fee as a lifetime PC/UC member would stay intact.

Got the name of the rep, their ID, as well as the exact time of the call noted in case come next year they decide to bill me the full $395 for it.

This was after I was billed $100 for my PP card in January and got a rep to credit me the $100 after I complained that could no longer use the EQMs for top-tier status like I was always able to do. Guess I'll see what happens come January.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I converted my PP card to a UC card earlier this year and was told my $100 annual fee as a lifetime PC/UC member would stay intact.

Got the name of the rep, their ID, as well as the exact time of the call noted in case come next year they decide to bill me the full $395 for it.

This was after I was billed $100 for my PP card in January and got a rep to credit me the $100 after I complained that could no longer use the EQMs for top-tier status like I was always able to do. Guess I'll see what happens come January.
I am not doubting you in the slightest and I truly hope that you are only charged $100 as that means there has been a change of heart at UA/CHASE.

Having said that, I have been told directly by Mgmt at CO and CHASE that in no uncertain terms Lifetime PClub members have to pay the full annual fee of the UNITED CLUB card, no discounts.

That is why I file a complaint each month in the vain hope that UA/CHASE Mgmt get the message that they should offer some sort of discount for the UNITED CLUB card for Limetime PClub members.

Dan
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:52 am

United/Chase Have Started Issuing Presidential Plus Cards Again

Good news for folks who want a credit card that allows one to earn PQMs: It appears that Chase and United have begun to issue Presidential Plus cards again. Mine came in the mail yesterday.

Here's the backstory. Last week, I called Chase to see if there were any plans to reintroduce the PP card, as several people on FT had reported hearing. The customer service rep put me on hold for 5 minutes to speak with her supervisor; when she came back, she said she would put in a request to switch me from the Club Card to the PP. The only catch, she explained, was that the PP card was a MasterCard, not a Visa (fine), and the annual fee would be $395 instead of $375 (fine, $20 is a small price to pay for the ability to accrue PQMs). She said it would take about a week and, sure enough, the card came yesterday.

Nice to see that Chase and United are responding to consumer demand for a product that accrues PQMs.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:44 am
Formerly known as mmihalik

I received a replacement for my Continental Presidential Plus card 2 weeks ago, and it was replaced with a branded United Presidential Plus card.

One noticeable difference was that it was a bit thicker/heavier than the original, and a deeper blue/black color. Still has the acct number rather flat on the back of the card, and the mag stripe difficult to see for most retailers.

When I talked to the customer service rep, he assured me (without asking) that the benefits would be the same as the original card. I do like the PQM, the bonus miles, and the club benefits.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by mmihalik
I received a replacement for my Continental Presidential Plus card 2 weeks ago, and it was replaced with a branded United Presidential Plus card.

One noticeable difference was that it was a bit thicker/heavier than the original, and a deeper blue/black color. Still has the acct number rather flat on the back of the card, and the mag stripe difficult to see for most retailers.
Look closer . . . the new PP card is metal. Way cool.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by mmihalik
Still has the acct number rather flat on the back of the card
If it matters to you, they can send you an embossed card. Just call and ask.

(If you travel in whacky places, which I'm sure a lot of us do, there are still folks that require an "imprint" of your card. I had a nasty run in with Avis in CPT and a non-embossed CC)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.