Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people wont take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:12 am
Suspended

Question

The vote isn't even close anymore now that more FTers are aware of the discussion/vote.

Still being claimed that this is rigged/fixed/gamed? And/or that it's new people registering just to vote?? And that -only- those in favor of helpful voting feature are doing and/or organizing any such activity?

Or do those outlandish conspiracy theories seem a little silly now, in retrospect?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You know Jon, you're posts are bordering insulting.

I never claimed people were registering just to vote, however, it is not beyond the scope of possibility that people PM'd friends on FT and/or used other social media to get people to vote a certain way.

So, no, it's not silly.

And it's also not that important. But my opinion hasn't changed. I believe the strongest supporters are trying to game the voting system.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The only thing that's insulting in this thread is claiming the poll was gamed. You're accusing TalkBoard members of engaging in dishonest behavior over a poll to implement a "Like" button. Try to keep some perspective.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by CMK10
I just went ahead and rated this one
Yep, and I've rated other threads as well; but the "Rating" column remains blank for all threads.

Edited to add: I figured it out. After over 10 years on FT. You have to click on the word "Rating" and then it supposedly sorts the posts by rating, either ascending or descending. Pretty thoroughly useless because it doesn't give you a star or number rating for any of the posts.

Sigh. This is the kind of 1993-style functionality that's all over this IBB software.

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jan 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:41 am

The only thing that's insulting in this thread is claiming the poll was gamed. You're accusing TalkBoard members of engaging in dishonest behavior over a poll to implement a "Like" button. Try to keep some perspective.
I hate to break this to you, but I have never even mentioned the talk board, nor did the thought cross my mind.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by lin821
In other words, if there are say 500 support votes for a helpful/like button, do 500 yes-votes speak for FT currently with 579,885 members? If not, why bother?)
That's about the number of votes most candidates get for TalkBoard positions, so yes, I'd say for better or worse it's legitimate in FT world.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mary2e
You know Jon, you're posts are bordering insulting.

I never claimed people were registering just to vote, however, it is not beyond the scope of possibility that people PM'd friends on FT and/or used other social media to get people to vote a certain way...
You cannot possibly be insulted since I never mentioned you-- even by inference-- in the post you're responding to -AND- if you care to inform yourself, you'll see others (again, NOT YOU (if you can imagine! )) most definitely made that **exact** claim early on in this thread.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:01 am
Suspended

Is this a lost cause I wonder? Not the vote, but trying to get some consistency and non-hypocracy in this discussion?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by bryanb
Inherently, neither "dislike" nor "like" is necessarily a reflection on the poster, depending on the context. For example, I could post that XYZ Airline failed to honor my upgrades and lost my luggage. I would see "dislike" as a gesture of support in that case.
That's a problem FB has as well, and they seem to get the "why don't you have a dislike button" question often enough. For historical reasons, labeling it "like" is their thing... "+1" is Google's, and it's a bit more neutral. Could be "Thanks!" or "Helpful" or "Recognize this post" here -- there are little semantic differences, although I think most people who've been around the net for a while recognize the basic idea and kind of use it for the same thing.

Originally Posted by lin821
For those of us who have actively observed and/or participated in this discussion thread, we all learn and/or agree "Like" is NOT the same as "Helpful", however the poll is set up with a thread titled with "Like" and the poll worded for "Helpful."
I disagree that there's much difference, but it would be interesting (if not necessarily helpful) to see a poll asking whether people preferred one wording over the other or don't care.

Probably would be best done only if there were a decision (from TB, or otherwise) that going forward with the button with SOME wording was likely to happen.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:18 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
So the thread has degenerated to discuss the poll. I guess no more valuable input will come and dearly hope nsx will soon state his case.

The poll has at this point collected 606 votes and thereby surpassed the TB election itself.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The vote isn't even close anymore now that more FTers are aware of the discussion/vote.
I would say more folk are aware of the poll but not really the discussion. I seriously doubt most are taking the time to read the wiki (which was just created), much less read over 560 posts. It's a lot easier to vote in a poll (on any topic) than take time to participate (just like it's a lot easier to click on like than actually contribute to a discussion in a forum. ).

BTW - between the yes/no votes there are an additional 40 votes since TM went out this morning. I was on FT early posting the wiki so I saw the post count. I would certainly expect more folk to vote between now & Sat since so many get TM, but it will be interesting to see what the final tally is in terms of # of votes overall (and I mean that for perhaps as a method to highlight future polls, not just specific to this issue - TB is capable of multi-tasking).

However, that doesn't negate that during a 48-hour period during the Xmas holidays when most FTers were drinking eggnog there were a substantial # of votes that didn't occur before or after that time frame, so sure I think some lobbying took place. As I've noted in the thread a few times, I would have said (and did) the same re: of which direction the voting went. I also said (more than once) that lobbying is allowed for both sides as long as it doesn't violate TOS.

I believe that TB members will consider BOTH the poll as well as the discussions that have have taken place in this thread - as they should. As others have noted, it's easy to click a button on a poll, but it's the discussions that bring out the pros, cons, potential difficulties, work-arounds, items that haven't been thought of before that allow TB members to get a handle on something (re: of what the topic is).

You're accusing TalkBoard members of engaging in dishonest behavior over a poll to implement a "Like" button.
No she's not, nor has anyone else. As someone who just re-read all 566 posts in order to create the wiki, I can say not one FTer has accused a TB member of doing something "dishonest".

Cheers.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I would say more folk are aware of the poll but not really the discussion. I seriously doubt most are taking the time to read the wiki (which was just created), much less read over 560 posts. It's a lot easier to vote in a poll (on any topic) than take time to participate (just like it's a lot easier to click on like than actually contribute to a discussion in a forum. ).

BTW - between the yes/no votes there are an additional 40 votes since TM went out this morning. I was on FT early posting the wiki so I saw the post count. I would certainly expect more folk to vote between now & Sat since so many get TM, but it will be interesting to see what the final tally is in terms of # of votes overall (and I mean that for perhaps as a method to highlight future polls, not just specific to this issue - TB is capable of multi-tasking).

However, that doesn't negate that during a 48-hour period during the Xmas holidays when most FTers were drinking eggnog there were a substantial # of votes that didn't occur before or after that time frame, so sure I think some lobbying took place. As I've noted in the thread a few times, I would have said (and did) the same re: of which direction the voting went. I also said (more than once) that lobbying is allowed for both sides as long as it doesn't violate TOS.

I believe that TB members will consider BOTH the poll as well as the discussions that have have taken place in this thread - as they should. As others have noted, it's easy to click a button on a poll, but it's the discussions that bring out the pros, cons, potential difficulties, work-arounds, items that haven't been thought of before that allow TB members to get a handle on something (re: of what the topic is).
Great post-- appreciate the thoughtful reply.

Although I will just restate; I don't understand the impulse that some here had to say so quickly "didn't win, must be dirty tricks."

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 13, 2015 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I hate to break this to you, but I have never even mentioned the talk board, nor did the thought cross my mind.
Don't split hairs:

I believe the strongest supporters are trying to game the voting system.
The strongest supporter is nsx, a TalkBoard member.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:25 pm

Actually, if he is, it completely slipped my mind. NSX did not start the thread, and honestly, I don't believe I've read the whole thing. I didni't even realize he was for or against it.

I joined in when the poll was put up.

So, no, I did not intimate that the talk board, or even a single member of it, was trying to game the system.

Believe it or not, not everyone on FT is out to insult the talk board or push blame on them. Particularly me.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

My own thoughts:

In favour
  • posts marked by the community as helpful could assist others with the task of identifying valuable content for inclusion in wikiposts and other resource threads
  • potentially declutters busy threads - reduction of duplicate comments etc. This thread is not a bad case in point

Downsides
  • the user feedback plug-in selected by Internet Brands for last month's short trial lacked elegance IMHO. However that's not say this was the only plug-in available. There are plenty of forums with user feedback enabled that avoid over dominant "like" tags

Other thoughts
  • I'm not convinced by claims that the user feedback tool will be gamed. As far as I have read there's no benefit to be gained by using the tool insincerely.
  • if adopted, my preference is for universal adoption. No forum opt outs. We trust members to post responsibly so the same goes for providing user feedback to posts
  • im not convinced that the tool will create or encourage cliquey behaviour although it may highlight existing cliquey behaviour
  • personally, I believe this function should be given a proper trial run. It works on other bulletin boards, we have Internet Brands support and experience to guide us through this process

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 13, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.