Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by HansGolden
I'm glad TB is moving on this and the clear majority of FTers wants this! ^
I wouldn't say that TB is "moving" on this. As the latest instigator, I am studying it and thinking about whether to propose some minimal trial and if so what. This thread has revealed quite a number of important concerns I want to address before proceeding.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by nsx
I wouldn't say that TB is "moving" on this. As the latest instigator, I am studying it and thinking about whether to propose some minimal trial and if so what. This thread has revealed quite a number of important concerns I want to address before proceeding.
I was blown away that 400 FTers would care enough to vote on a TB issue. That's all I'll say.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was blown away that 400 FTers would care enough to vote on a TB issue. That's all I'll say.
400? Over 650 folks have voted so far.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by nsx
I remain not convinced that a “like” button will help improve FlyerTalk for a majority of its members.

For this reason, I would prefer testing out a “like” button on a trial basis — by all members of FlyerTalk who wish to participate. I believe the experience will reveal the answers to many questions; as well as either confirm or change the opinions of how FlyerTalk members feel about this functionality...

...not to mention that I typically prefer to reach conclusions based on actual data rather than supposition and speculation.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:55 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
400? Over 650 folks have voted so far.
We now have 666.

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I'd argue though that those engaging in the pointless "battles" (we have the same at AA presently) deserve what they get; if their "friends" or "allies" want to play games with "helpful" votes, it's stupid, but not much stupider than the thread itself at that point.

And how is the like/helpful button improving FT then?

Take for example the macrumors site. It has similiariteis with FT as it is a community of engaged people discussing their hobby. However, it is quite different fron FT as it is extremely uniform. It has become this way because when someone posts something outside the common view, it is downvoted and anone bashing the opponent is upvoted.

Now add that like/helpful system to FT and I can easily see the same hapening here on some of the forums where people are very pro their airline and takes all criticism as an attack.

Now, how can FT survive as a discussion site if people start to vote for "the right" posts/posters?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:52 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by intuition
Now add that like/helpful system to FT and I can easily see the same hapening here on some of the forums where people are very pro their airline and takes all criticism as an attack.

Now, how can FT survive as a discussion site if people start to vote for "the right" posts/posters?
If there isn't a downvote button, it's hard to see how things could get out of hand. But a trial would be needed to demonstrate what happens either way. The human element is hard to predict.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:21 am

A like/don't like button doesn't reflect the true feeling of the flyertalk community only those reading the post/thread. Low traffic posts/threads/forums can easily be manipulated by a few.

If something is liked or not liked what does it signifying?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:52 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by nsx
If there isn't a downvote button, it's hard to see how things could get out of hand. But a trial would be needed to demonstrate what happens either way. The human element is hard to predict.
When a newbie for the millionth time asks a mundane question, it isn't that far fetched that a snarky "use the search" reply will get numerous likes/helfuls, is it?

Or when the "drive-by-rant-by-first-time-poster" gets what he "deserves", perhaps all the regulars of that forum are happy to show their liking?

If likes can strengthen a poster, I cannot see why it couldn't strengthen posts with unfriendly content.

Human element isn't that hard to predict, but I agree one should give those humans the benfit of a doubt

Originally Posted by amunter
My comment about self-policing is that anybody who has done some reading on FT for some time starts to build a list (or a fuzzy sketch or a hazy image or however your brain works) in their head of who is reliable/helpful/thoughtful/funny/"a good poster" - however you define that - and who is not.
This is exactly they way I think it works. You need to take your time to learn about the environment you are interacting in. Same as i real life. You need to observe for awhile to get to know the persons you are interacting with. There is no shortcut that can help each and everyone to make up their mind on how to view/understand those they are interacting with. Thinking that like/helpful system is that shortcut is IMHO naive.

There are some very opinionated FT'ers with high post counts that has some reputation (good or bad). But by reading them several times, I have been able to form a picture in my head of them and their personalities and can in the light of that enjoy their posts. If I never formed my image of them and instead relied on post count and/or how liked they are, I probably would have been driven crazy from their posts.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:43 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by intuition
When a newbie for the millionth time asks a mundane question, it isn't that far fetched that a snarky "use the search" reply will get numerous likes/helfuls, is it?

Or when the "drive-by-rant-by-first-time-poster" gets what he "deserves", perhaps all the regulars of that forum are happy to show their liking?

If likes can strengthen a poster, I cannot see why it couldn't strengthen posts with unfriendly content.
I think this is part of what you'll see. Snarky posts or "smackdowns" will get likes. What sort of message does that send to newbies? FT can already be harsh towards newbies. Do we need something that will encourage that harsh behavior?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
People can also use PMs or email to thank others for being especially helpful. This might be more meaningful to the recipient than a public (possibly anonymous) click of some like button.
Agree. When this new function finally appears, I'll ignore it as both a reader and poster, and when I want to compliment someone, I'll do it the old fashioned way - posting a public thanks or the same thing via pm.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
What is FT majority?

I'm glad TB is moving on this and the clear majority of FTers wants this! ^
Majority? I wouldn't go that far to say a few hundred of FTers represent the majority of FTers. As I type, FT currently has 580,160 registered members. That means 1% of FTers is equal to 5802 members. This poll now has 670 votes, which is fewer than 0.2% of FT population.

My guess is we may see no more than 1000 votes when the poll closes. Should we conclude 1000 people speaks for the majority then? I don't think so.

You obviously missed the era when thousands of FTers would vote during TB elections.

Nevertheless, a FT poll is not the same as TB elections. We have a clear guidelines for TB in terms of elections, motions and decisions. Not so much with any FT poll. I would even say any FT poll is only fuzzy enough to get some rough ideas among the "vocal or expressive" FTers. In the case of Like/Helpful button, I believe points taken is much more valuable than heads counted. I hope our TBers and CD are among the wise to make the right decisions that actually better and/or benefit FT.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
A like/don't like button doesn't reflect the true feeling of the flyertalk community only those reading the post/thread. Low traffic posts/threads/forums can easily be manipulated by a few.

If something is liked or not liked what does it signifying?
That latter is indeed the question, but as far as I can tell the answer is "nothing."

Which leads to the question on the initial point, what is there to manipulate? There's no proposal on the time to give anything away for extra likes, or to show "liked" posts first, etc. Even if there's a little silly bit of egoboo like showing someone's "like" count on their profile page or even in the left column, so what?

--

Let me add the following as an example of a reply where I'd have liked the option of a "Like" button, but where a reply of "Got it, thanks!" would have been noise rather than useful:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24172984-post8.html

Last edited by nkedel; Jan 15, 2015 at 12:49 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I remain not convinced that a “like” button will help improve FlyerTalk for a majority of its members.

For this reason, I would prefer testing out a “like” button on a trial basis — by all members of FlyerTalk who wish to participate. I believe the experience will reveal the answers to many questions; as well as either confirm or change the opinions of how FlyerTalk members feel about this functionality...

...not to mention that I typically prefer to reach conclusions based on actual data rather than supposition and speculation.
I'm pretty ambivalent as far as the for/against debate but do wonder, "How does the like button" improve FT as well...

I think a trial to give folks what it looks like, how FTers use it, etc. would be useful.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
IMHO, some posts have merit. Others do not. What I care about is whether *I* think a post has merit, not whether other posters think so or not.

So I think a 'like' feature is worthless.

But others feel differently and if someone wants to make a compelling case for them to convinces me that functionality would have benefit for some, I would be up for asking IB to look into it.
OTOH, I want the poster to know that I like/ appreciate his/her post & how many others do. I like & often use the Like button on Milepoint, so I have voted SUPPORT here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.