Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're talkin to a guy that gets a LOT of those , and they are FAR more meaningful, no question about it.
I would hope so--you deserve a lot of thank you notes by PM and email rather than just clicks on some "like" icon. You contribute a lot of information to the AA forum and also help many people behind the scenes, especially those who were caught in all of the recent account audits.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
When the subject was brought up in 2013, FTers were split for/against approx 50/50%. When it was bumped up in 2014, FTers were split for/against approx 50/50%%. When the poll was first started, the nos were ahead of the yeses. That's now 59/39/2 yes to no (and some no opinion). With the poll, the sitewide announcement & mention in TM driving traffic, there are more yes votes. But the difference between before & now is still only 9%. I'm not sure I'd call a 9 point increase over 50/50 (especially given all the visibility) a huge clamoring for this feature.

Some are suggesting trials, but quite frankly I'd still question whether this is something that's of paramount concern/acclaim for implementation to go to trial.

If TB thinks it is, then it needs to first address/answer the very legitimate questions and concerns BEFORE a trial is implemented. If it can't, then it shouldn't move forward. And it's ridiculous to suggest doing a trial in a few selected forums. If TB wants to implement something that's going to impact all of FT, then the trial has to be across ALL of FT.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 15, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nsx
"Alert a moderator" is one of the vBulletin functions needing improvement, IMHO. It provides no convenient way for a moderator to respond to the originator. Such a response would be useful when the moderator decides not to take any public action. Currently the originator has no way to know that the Alert was ever read.

I'm pretty sure that this problem has been mentioned to IB more than once, but I will be sure to include it in any discussions of software modifications for a "Helpful" button.
RBP also doesn't provide an easy way to keep a record of which posts/usernames were reported (and the forum and thread where the post appeared) or the comments that were communicated. One could print the page with the comment square before submitting it, but you can't go back from that information to check whether the post was ever removed or edited.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
When the subject was brought up in 2013, FTers were split for/against approx 50/50%. When it was bumped up in 2014, FTers were split for/against approx 50/50%%. When the poll was first started, the nos were ahead of the yeses. That's now 59/39/2 yes to no (and some no opinion). With the poll, the sitewide announcement & mention in TM driving traffic, there are more yes votes. But the difference between before & now is still only 9%. I'm not sure I'd call a 9 point increase over 50/50 (especially given all the visibility) a huge clamoring for this feature.

Some are suggesting trials, but quite frankly I'd still question whether this is something that's of paramount concern/acclaim for implementation to go to trial.

If TB thinks it is, then it needs to first address/answer the very legitimate questions and concerns before a trial is implemented. If it can't, then it shouldn't move forward. And it's ridiculous to suggest doing a trial in a few selected forums. If TB wants to implement something that's going to impact all of FT, then the trial has to be across ALL of FT.

Cheers.
Often a political poll has a margin of error of plus or minus three percent. Yet these polls have carefully constructed wordings of the question and tend to use stratified samples of various (demographic and other) subgroups or responders ("oversampling" the smaller groups) within the targeted population.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Often a political poll has a margin of error of plus or minus three percent. Yet these polls have carefully constructed wordings of the question and tend to use stratified samples of various (demographic and other) subgroups or responders ("oversampling" the smaller groups) within the targeted population.
FT isn't that sophisticated

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:10 pm

FT isn't that sophisticated

Cheers.
Of course not. My point is that the error of margin in this poll is surely much greater than the customary plus or minus three percent that we commonly see in professional political polls.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:22 pm

Of course not. My point is that the error of margin in this poll is surely much greater than the customary plus or minus three percent that we commonly see in professional political polls.
Maybe; maybe not. But I think TB members will be looking at both the poll & the discussion threads when evaluating if there's a next step at all and/or what it might be if there is one. I have more faith in TB members than some of the professional politicians

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:28 pm

Maybe; maybe not. But I think TB members will be looking at both the poll & the discussion threads when evaluating if there's a next step at all and/or what it might be if there is one. I have more faith in TB members than some of the professional politicians

Cheers.
Huh? You think it's likely ("Maybe; maybe not") that this poll with its response rate is more accurate than polls constructed and conducted by professional pollsters (not professional politicians, there is a difference between the statistical consultants and the candidates)?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:37 pm

Huh? You think it's likely ("Maybe; maybe not") that this poll with its response rate is more accurate than polls constructed and conducted by professional pollsters (not professional politicians, there is a difference between the statistical consultants and the candidates)?
I have faith in both FTers & TB members that they'll view the poll & the discussions in the threads discussing the like button with proper consideration. If you'd like to start a discussion re: how FT polls compare with polls done by professional pollsters, I'd recommend you start a thread in Omni PR

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
If there isn't a downvote button, it's hard to see how things could get out of hand.
I don't know how you could say that with a straight face, because I sure couldn't do it. Just because there's no downvote button, the mere presence of an upvote type mechanism will form factions. The only thing the downvote mechanism will do is just make the existing mess bigger. Not having the downvote mechanism will still result in factions who just compete for more upvotes (or as I would say, <you can't say that here> with whatever mechanism is available to them)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 15, 2015 at 10:50 pm Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Question

...When it was bumped up in 2014, FTers were split for/against approx 50/50%

...That's now 59/39/2 yes to no (and some no opinion).

... But the difference between before & now is still only 9%.
Respectfully-- about your math....

The difference between [50% in favor to 50% opposed] to [59% in favor to 39% opposed] sure isn't 9%
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by steveman518
Not having the downvote mechanism will still result in factions who just compete for more upvotes (or as I would say, <redacted> with whatever mechanism is available to them)
What do they allegedly win by having the most upvotes?

(For that matter, do we even want a per-user upvote counter?)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 17, 2015 at 6:41 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted offensiveness
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:07 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nkedel
What do they allegedly win by having the most upvotes?

(For that matter, do we even want a per-user upvote counter?)
Bragging rights, and yes, some will want them.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA ExP
What I was trying to say tactfully is that it's pretty hard to be a good TB member and ignore this turnout and 60/38 vote split. Furthermore, history is not on the side of those against the Like button. It's clearly been massively successful in a wide range of applications. It's crowdsourcing at its finest.

Saying it can be a tool of trolls or nasty people is a non-sequitur as *posts* can also be a tool of suchlike. We already have the mod system in place. If the content of the post is acceptable according to FT rules and mods have not taken action, liking a certain post should be acceptable as well. If a post is within the rules but has a mean spirit behind it, a post with a nicer spirit should be made by people who are those sorts of people and the likes can proceed apace on each respective post. The bottom line is, any method of communication is simply a reflection of those communicating. We can no more stop mean people by limiting ourselves to morse code than we can by refusing to implement Likes.

The bottom line, IMO, is that Likes are a massively helpful innovation that helps quality content rise to the top (SlickDeals, a similar forum, does an outstanding job with this) via rewarding quality work (through reputation scoring) and via curation. Furthermore, a clear majority of FTers wants it.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by HansGolden
I'm glad TB is moving on this and the clear majority of FTers wants this! ^
There are only 700 members on FT? Wow.

Originally Posted by kipper
I think this is part of what you'll see. Snarky posts or "smackdowns" will get likes. What sort of message does that send to newbies? FT can already be harsh towards newbies. Do we need something that will encourage that harsh behavior?
That's a good point. While I'm sure the proponents of this addition are acting in good faith and believe this will be a positive step forward, I'm not sure people are considering the downside of adding this function.

Originally Posted by HansGolden
The bottom line, IMO, is that Likes are a massively helpful innovation that helps quality content rise to the top (SlickDeals, a similar forum, does an outstanding job with this) via rewarding quality work (through reputation scoring) and via curation. Furthermore, a clear majority of FTers wants it.
No, a majority of FT members who have voted favor this addition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.