Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
IIRC, the active population hovers around 10k people. I do not believe IB has ever purged the user rolls.

So that means that 500k people includes spammers of all kinds, people joining for contests, and those who registered 12 years ago, asked a single question, and haven't been seen since

IHMO, the user rolls should be purged after a certain amount of years of no activity - certainly someone who joined in 1998 and hasn't posted since 1999 shouldn't be counted as a user any longer.
For all we know, someone who doesn't post much might come to FT regularly and read posts, search, etc. without logging in. Purging the account would seem like an unwelcoming gesture that really doesn't have an obvious benefit to anyone.

However, it might not be bad <I'm not advocating this, just pointing it out as a logical possibility> to have a recent activity requirement (maybe in addition to our OMNI/CC time and posts access criteria) for certain privileges such as voting in addition to OMNI/CC and possibly even DO participation. If someone joined FT ten years ago, made 200 posts in the first few months and then disappeared, should they now have CC trading privileges, be allowed to vote, or be given scarce space at a DO that is turning others away? Perhaps this is something to think about.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I know that I was a member of another board and I hadn't posted in years - my id was terminated for lack of use.

I didn't feel unwelcome - I just registered again

If anything, the spammer IDs should be removed. They cause nothing but grief to the mods and won't feel unwelcomed - they're already been suspended
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I know that I was a member of another board and I hadn't posted in years - my id was terminated for lack of use.

I didn't feel unwelcome - I just registered again

If anything, the spammer IDs should be removed. They cause nothing but grief to the mods and won't feel unwelcomed - they're already been suspended
If we know that they're just spammers, fine, but IMO we shouldn't terminate accounts of regular people who have been suspended, no matter how long they have remained suspended.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
I am active on City-data.com/forum and I like the ability to say you find a post helpful. In that forum, there's no ID of the person who approves the post unless they add their name in a comments section in the top right hand of the poster's information. What I do find (other than the ubiquitous thumbs up for birthday's and the like) is that a lot of people are encouraged to really think through their posts, which makes the forum very helpful. There are no thumbs-down icons, however, which I like
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Prospero
I agree.

As a real life example, the result of last year's Scottish Independence referendum went 55/45. The 55 was broadly viewed as a commanding majority
Excellent example.

Originally Posted by intuition
Well, that is not entirely mathematically true either. I'm lacking the correct word in english, but a 59% to 39% result won by 20 percentage units, not by 20%. In fact, it won by 51%, ie the winning side is 51% larger than the losing side (59/39=1,51).
Correction gleefully accepted!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:59 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nkedel
Sure, it's going to work like this:

OMNICon: Obama is bad!
--> OmniCon2, OmniCon3, OmniCon4 like this post.
OMNILib: Bush is bad!
--> OmniLib2, OmniLib3, OmniLib4 like this post.
OMNILibertarian: You're all statists!
--> OmniLibertariane likes this post.

...but beyond being pointless, so what? Seriously, what problems would that cause?

(In the best case, it might actually reduce some of the less-substantive echo chamber posts, and just lead to likes on the other guy who said it first.)
That's an interesting point. Maybe this would be as harmless as you think. I'd like to discuss it further.

Suppose we had a per-post Helpful button displaying the total for each post but not showing any summary data anywhere on FT. Considering just OMNI/PR, what other worst-case scenarios can we think of? Everyone please chime in, because I virtually never visit OMNI/PR. I need the expertise of regular participants there.

Edited to add: Oooooh, I made post 666!

Last edited by nsx; Jan 16, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by nsx
That's an interesting point. Maybe this would be as harmless as you think. I'd like to discuss it further.
Please do; absent tangible side effects, I've been genuinely baffled at how this can be gamed.

Suppose we had a per-post Helpful button displaying the total for each post but not showing any summary data anywhere on FT. Considering just OMNI/PR, what other worst-case scenarios can we think of? Everyone please chime in, because I virtually never visit OMNI/PR. I need the expertise of regular participants there.
I'd prefer the likes on a given post to be non-anonymous (or perhaps, like Facebook, aggregating plus a click through for the full list if you get more than a couple likes.) I don't think anonymous totals give as much value, since it doesn't at that point substitute for a "+1" posts, etc.

I'm not sure what the down side to having a relatively discreet aggregate number (e.g. on the profile page), although I don't see that there's any gain to it, either.

Where this gets dangerous would be if IB started a "trending posts" (which got a lot of likes) or started prioritizing posts by likes rather than chronologically, or if there's a downvote option (not sure which is worse, anonymous or not, but both have serious downsides.)
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Where this gets dangerous would be if IB started a "trending posts" (which got a lot of likes) or started prioritizing posts by likes rather than chronologically, or if there's a downvote option (not sure which is worse, anonymous or not, but both have serious downsides.)
1. Trending by unmonitored software would be dangerous. But a person choosing items for the FlyerTalk home page could make good use of Helpful count to identify candidates.

2. Changing thread display according to Helpful ratings was once something I favored. As you say, it carries gaming danger. I no longer favor this complication. It also sounds hard to implement.

3. Downvotes carry danger, probably mitigated by not allowing the total to go below zero. I'm not interested in pursuing any downvote feature until we have extensive experience with an upvote only system.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
1. Trending by unmonitored software would be dangerous. But a person choosing items for the FlyerTalk home page could make good use of Helpful count to identify candidates.
I suppose you're right w.r.t helping manual curation; it couldn't hurt, at any rate.

2. Changing thread display according to Helpful ratings was once something I favored. As you say, it carries gaming danger. I no longer favor this complication. It also sounds hard to implement.
I think it might be helpful on a very narrow handful of the forums, where our general conversational format doesn't apply, but special casing those doesn't seem like a good use of the effort (e.g, if we're going to special case something for mileage run deals, the ability to attach meta tags to the posts (especially airline, expired, cities) and then filter on those would be much, much more useful.

3. Downvotes carry danger, probably mitigated by not allowing the total to go below zero. I'm not interested in pursuing any downvote feature until we have extensive experience with an upvote only system.
That mitigation helps if upvotes and downvotes are both anonymous; non-anonymous down-votes are way too likely to be read as flames.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: HH Silver
OMNI P/R isn't the only venue where a 'helpful' button could be misused as the "Trick It" thread and MS forum are others that come to my mind. I'm not sure if I'd consider misuse in those forums nor OMNI P/R as "harmless" but that's merely MHO.

We have a lot of work left to do before proceeding with anything.
Good to hear as I'm in the camp that doesn't feel we actually need this at all.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
OMNI P/R isn't the only venue where a 'helpful' button could be misused as the "Trick It" thread and MS forum are others that come to my mind. I'm not sure if I'd consider misuse in those forums nor OMNI P/R as "harmless" but that's merely MHO.
By misuse, do you just mean "someone clicks like on something factually incorrect," and someone else misinterprets that count of likes to mean it's correct? (Obviously not an issue with P/R, as it's all silly opinions.)

Or are you expecting some practical result out of the use of the button?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: HH Silver
By misuse, do you just mean "someone clicks like on something factually incorrect," and someone else misinterprets that count of likes to mean it's correct? (Obviously not an issue with P/R, as it's all silly opinions.)

Or are you expecting some practical result out of the use of the button?
Not 'like', 'helpful' as I said in my post.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:24 pm

Programs: QFF
I have yet to see any valid reason why this is "needed". Just a lot of "other boards have this, so we should too".

I have left other forums because they added things like this.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Not 'like', 'helpful' as I said in my post.
I don't find the semantics all that different, and certainly on OMNI P/R, nobody's going to suddenly start finding the unhelpful political chatter helpful because someone clicked on it.

Even if labelled "helpful" or "thanks," I don't think many users are going to be so unsophisticated as to automatically assume content is more valid because it got what are in essence "likes," but if other folks think that it's confusing or misleading then that's a good argument for using a more neutral term.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by nsx
Well said. I have become convinced of that, especially after this discussion. I think we will want to defer ANY publicly viewable compilation of votes for a given user's posts.
Why? It doesn't seem to cause any problems on TripAdvisor. Sure, T/A has its own problems; but this isn't one of them, IMO.

Well, that is not entirely mathematically true either. I'm lacking the correct word in english, but a 59% to 39% result won by 20 percentage units, not by 20%. In fact, it won by 51%, ie the winning side is 51% larger than the losing side (59/39=1,51).
If only television commentators during U.S. elections understood this. They simply calculate the difference between the percentages and report this. So, in this case, 20, not 51. Grrrr.....

About the landslide, I guess that term is somewhat dependent on ones cultural environment. For me personally a 60-40 is nowhere near a landslide. For me, a 60-40 contains one small majority and one large minority.
I used to be in the campaign management and polling business in the U.S. 55/45 was a clear victory. Much above that, and certainly above 60/40, the loser was often said (in the business) to have "received the beating s/he richly deserved."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.