Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

"Like" Button?

View Poll Results: Q: What is your view on FlyerTalk implementing a "Helpful" button feature?
Support
59.72%
Oppose
37.93%
No opinion
2.34%
Voters: 725. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Some FTers are supportive of like/helpful button. Some are not. Some on both sides of the issue have questions, concerns and/or need more info. This wiki attempts to highlight them in bullet format/"cliff notes" version from the 566 posts in this thread. More detailed information regarding the pros/cons/questions/concerns/info can be garnered by reading the entire thread, where FTers on both sides of the like/helpful button have been eloquent/provided valuable input.

Pros:
* Makes Flyertalk more modern; more like Facebook, LinkedIn, and other progressive internet bulletin boards
* A like/helpful button would minimize unnecessary replies such as +1.
* Streamlines posts
* Positive feedback incentivizes quality content/FTers will post more
* Some people won’t take time to write a thank you but will post a like
* Those with more likes/helpfuls are considered knowledgable

Cons:
* Makes it easier for airlines/companies to find mistake fares/glitches/underground tricks
* Makes Flyertalk more like Facebook/dumbs it down
* FT had rating system here years ago and it did not go well
* System can be gamed/cliques develop
* Clutters up posts/takes up valuable screen space
* Will not eliminate +1s/+1s also provide positive feedback
* Posts that have inaccurate info can also get likes/doesn't mean poster is knowledgable
* If FTers post info & it doesn't get likes/helpfuls, less incentive to post more
* Some who might have posted info in the past will now just post like, so less information provided to other FTers.
* Older posts will tend to have more likes/helpfuls on average than newer posts in the same thread, which can be misleading when the information is out-of-date. [added by MSPeconomist]

Questions, concerns about how it will work, and/or information based on brief internal trial already done
* If implemented, can FTers who prefer not to utilize the like/helpful button turn it off so that they don't see it?
* Is there a software way to separate likes of posts from posters? (Limited trial indicates no; don't know if software can be changed to do so)
* Can a post/day count be implemented before implementing for FTers, similar Omni/CC? (Yes)
* Can certain forums have it turned off such as Omni? (No, current software is it's either all forums or none)
* If a sitewide trial is created, what are the metrics for success or failure?
* What is the goal of this/how will the data be used?
* If customization of current software is required, will this take away from development on other projects such as a better mobile app?
* Will or can there be a dislike/unhelpful button?
* What happens if a post that is "liked" gets its content edited and ends up having a different meaning than it initially had at the time the post was "liked"?
* Can threads or individual posts deemed helpful be bookmarked/saved?
* Can users "opt out" and select to remove all trace of the system, as is currently possible with the ignore list and removing view of signatures?
Print Wikipost

"Like" Button?

Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by halls120
That's a good point. While I'm sure the proponents of this addition are acting in good faith and believe this will be a positive step forward, I'm not sure people are considering the downside of adding this function.
Just think of its use in OMNI/PR!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kipper
That's why I want to see a feasible path to forum-specific appearance of reader feedback before recommending even a trial. I want to see a low-risk approach in which we also don't raise expectations that IB cannot meet later.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Bragging rights, and yes, some will want them.
I'm not sure fact that some people will want the counters make them valuable. I don't see the harm in them (any more than post count) but I don't really see the gain.

Originally Posted by HansGolden
It's clearly been massively successful in a wide range of applications. It's crowdsourcing at its finest.
[...]
The bottom line, IMO, is that Likes are a massively helpful innovation that helps quality content rise to the top (SlickDeals, a similar forum, does an outstanding job with this) via rewarding quality work (through reputation scoring) and via curation. Furthermore, a clear majority of FTers wants it.
I'm not sure the format of FT is such that the reputation scoring aspect would work, nor curation to help "quality content rise to the top" -- we are unlikely to ever have a personalization engine (where one's own "likes" can help surface content) and ordering content by likes would open this up to exactly the sort of gaming that people have complained might be possible.

Doing this the way SlickDeals and/or FatWallet do it is exactly what we DON'T want to do.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:08 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nkedel
Doing this the way SlickDeals and/or FatWallet do it is exactly what we DON'T want to do.
Well said. I have become convinced of that, especially after this discussion. I think we will want to defer ANY publicly viewable compilation of votes for a given user's posts.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:26 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Respectfully-- about your math....

The difference between [50% in favor to 50% opposed] to [59% in favor to 39% opposed] sure isn't 9%
Not defending the math, but it is possible to view it like this:
In a group of 100 people, 50 voted against and 50 for in the first vote. In the second vote, 9 people "changed sides" and thus the second vote resulted 59-41. That is the way I read the "9% change" comment.

What I was trying to say tactfully is that it's pretty hard to be a good TB member and ignore this turnout and 60/38 vote split. Furthermore, history is not on the side of those against the Like button. It's clearly been massively successful in a wide range of applications. It's crowdsourcing at its finest.

The bottom line, IMO, is that Likes are a massively helpful innovation that helps quality content rise to the top (SlickDeals, a similar forum, does an outstanding job with this) via rewarding quality work (through reputation scoring) and via curation. Furthermore, a clear majority of FTers wants it.
Can you give some examples on how voting systems helped/improved discussion boards? I don't see slickdeals as a site very similar to flyertalk.

And again, how is a poll with 700 votes out of a population of 500 000+ members, where you have no information of the statistical selection of voters, a clear indicator of the whole population?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If it's so good as to be used in the miles and points and/or other travel sections of FT, it should be just as good for use in OMNI/PR. Apparently IB created this feature for use across all forums on FT and other sites using its VBulletin board software and that is what support for this would get if this poll were to be implemented as voted now.

About the poll's representative/unrepresentative nature of FT membership base, I'm not sure that matters. Most members are probably apathetic about such matters, even if the poll margin is off by +/- 9 percent or more.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If it's so good as to be used in the miles and points and/or other travel sections of FT, it should be just as good for use in OMNI/PR. Apparently IB created this feature for use across all forums on FT and other sites using its VBulletin board software and that is what support for this would get if this poll were to be implemented as voted now.

About the poll's representative/unrepresentative nature of FT membership base, I'm not sure that matters. Most members are probably apathetic about such matters, even if the poll margin is off by +/- 9 percent or more.
I think the reluctance to try it in OMNI/PR is perhaps because it would, most likely, not be used in the spirit it was intended there, and would cause problems, thus making it less likely to be implemented elsewhere on FT.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by intuition
Not defending the math, but it is possible to view it like this:
In a group of 100 people, 50 voted against and 50 for in the first vote. In the second vote, 9 people "changed sides" and thus the second vote resulted 59-41. That is the way I read the "9% change" comment.
It's a nice effort but the post was completely incorrect.

If a referendum in real-life (as opposed to here) is held and it passes 51-49-- it "won" by 2%.

If the result was 59-39-- it passed by 20%. Which would then be described as a "landslide."

We can most definitely disagree about if this whole this means much of anything; % of FTers that participated, do they even understand what they're voting on, are people opposed more likely to just not vote-- all valid issues and none I'd really argue. Maybe it should be like a totalitarian republic where everybody is forced to cast a vote.

But, I would argue, that at least be honest and accurate about the results as they stand-- meaningless or meaningful as they may be. If the vote is to be ignored or dismissed-- fine, there may be excellent reasons to do exactly that, or to just use it as one of many factors, or to simply decide "this feature is foolish, better for FT if we -don't- implement it at this time-- but accuracy about the results shouldn't be optional.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 16, 2015 at 9:10 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 9:18 am
Suspended

Red face

I'd also add-- but most certainly cannot support/prove/know, obviously-- that if the results of the poll were the exact opposite (20% margin against) that those who oppose this feature would be bandying that result about as "a clear rejection of turning FT into Facebook!" and "a decisive defeat for this dumb idea!" And they wouldn't be talking about "well, only a fraction of FTers voted, so...." and/or "well, if you look at it, it's still basically not far from 50/50, right??"

Be honest-- you know it's true.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

If a referendum in real-life (as opposed to here) is held and it passes 51-49-- it "won" by 2%.

If the result was 59-39-- it passed by 20%. Which would then be described as a "landslide."
Well, that is not entirely mathematically true either. I'm lacking the correct word in english, but a 59% to 39% result won by 20 percentage units, not by 20%. In fact, it won by 51%, ie the winning side is 51% larger than the losing side (59/39=1,51).

(See, you can have a 51% lead for free! I'm not only honest but also generous

As I said, I wasn't out to defend the math, just to say that I understand the reasoning behind it. IMO no dishonesty was meant by the commenter.

About the landslide, I guess that term is somewhat dependent on ones cultural environment. For me personally a 60-40 is nowhere near a landslide. For me, a 60-40 contains one small majority and one large minority.

I'd also add-- but most certainly cannot support/prove/know, obviously-- that if the results of the poll were the exact opposite (20% margin against) that those who oppose this feature would be bandying that result about as "a clear rejection of turning FT into Facebook!" and "a decisive defeat for this dumb idea!" And they wouldn't be talking about "well, only a fraction of FTers voted, so...." and/or "well, if you look at it, it's still basically not far from 50/50, right??"

I wouldn't, but you are probably right this would happen either way a poll would go. So how about - we agree on setting ourselves above that?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:52 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For me personally a 60-40 is nowhere near a landslide. For me, a 60-40 contains one small majority and one large minority.
Exactly. It's 3:2, which is suggestive but not dispositive. We have a lot of work left to do before proceeding with anything.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Fact vs. Conjecture

Per your own logic, you would know it's true when the yes camp could place the same argument if the no votes were taking the lead in this poll, wouldn't you?

I personally don't think this line of what-ifs conjecture would add any value to the discussion especially when you can't provide evidence to prove your "theory."

And again, how is a poll with 700 votes out of a population of 500 000+ members, where you have no information of the statistical selection of voters, a clear indicator of the whole population?
Exactly!

It's a fact FT now has 580,319 members. With 712 voters so far in this poll (which is only 0.123% of FTers), no one can claim the majority of FTers have spoken, no matter what the result is.

... a clear majority of FTers wants it.
Sorry to disappoint you. Not until you get 290,160 FTers (aka 50% of current 580,319 registered members) to show their support, nobody knows what the majority of FTers want for anything. Yes, statistics is a b*tch. See Post#645 by halls120 for a more accurate description of the voting trend in this poll:

Originally Posted by halls120
No, a majority of FT members who have voted favor this addition.
I think the bottom line is how a new addition, such as this LIKE/Helpful button, can really improve a non social media like FT. That's the million-dollar question for our TB and CD to ponder upon.

Last edited by lin821; Jan 16, 2015 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I think the reluctance to try it in OMNI/PR is perhaps because it would, most likely, not be used in the spirit it was intended there, and would cause problems, thus making it less likely to be implemented elsewhere on FT.
Sure, it's going to work like this:

OMNICon: Obama is bad!
--> OmniCon2, OmniCon3, OmniCon4 like this post.
OMNILib: Bush is bad!
--> OmniLib2, OmniLib3, OmniLib4 like this post.
OMNILibertarian: You're all statists!
--> OmniLibertariane likes this post.

...but beyond being pointless, so what? Seriously, what problems would that cause?

(In the best case, it might actually reduce some of the less-substantive echo chamber posts, and just lead to likes on the other guy who said it first.)

Originally Posted by lin821
It's a fact FT now has 580,319 members. With 712 voters so far in this poll (which is only 0.123% of FTers), no one can claim the majority of FTers have spoken, no matter what the result is.
How many of those users are active monthly, or daily? How many of those users have no posts, or 10 or fewer posts? Does IB ever purge old users?

From experience with other similar-but-smaller systems, the real "active user" population is going to be vastly smaller than the historical total number of signups.

The fact that we've now got nearly twice as many votes as the talkboard election got suggests that there's a great deal of interest in this issue, beyond simply a core of FT insiders.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
IIRC, the active population hovers around 10k people. I do not believe IB has ever purged the user rolls.

So that means that 500k people includes spammers of all kinds, people joining for contests, and those who registered 12 years ago, asked a single question, and haven't been seen since

IHMO, the user rolls should be purged after a certain amount of years of no activity - certainly someone who joined in 1998 and hasn't posted since 1999 shouldn't be counted as a user any longer.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

We can most definitely disagree about if this whole this means much of anything; % of FTers that participated, do they even understand what they're voting on, are people opposed more likely to just not vote-- all valid issues and none I'd really argue. Maybe it should be like a totalitarian republic where everybody is forced to cast a vote.

But, I would argue, that at least be honest and accurate about the results as they stand-- meaningless or meaningful as they may be. If the vote is to be ignored or dismissed-- fine, there may be excellent reasons to do exactly that, or to just use it as one of many factors, or to simply decide "this feature is foolish, better for FT if we -don't- implement it at this time-- but accuracy about the results shouldn't be optional.
I agree.

As a real life example, the result of last year's Scottish Independence referendum went 55/45. The 55 was broadly viewed as a commanding majority

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.