FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Like" Button?
Thread: "Like" Button?
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:14 am
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by bryanb
Inherently, neither "dislike" nor "like" is necessarily a reflection on the poster, depending on the context. For example, I could post that XYZ Airline failed to honor my upgrades and lost my luggage. I would see "dislike" as a gesture of support in that case.
That's a problem FB has as well, and they seem to get the "why don't you have a dislike button" question often enough. For historical reasons, labeling it "like" is their thing... "+1" is Google's, and it's a bit more neutral. Could be "Thanks!" or "Helpful" or "Recognize this post" here -- there are little semantic differences, although I think most people who've been around the net for a while recognize the basic idea and kind of use it for the same thing.

Originally Posted by lin821
For those of us who have actively observed and/or participated in this discussion thread, we all learn and/or agree "Like" is NOT the same as "Helpful", however the poll is set up with a thread titled with "Like" and the poll worded for "Helpful."
I disagree that there's much difference, but it would be interesting (if not necessarily helpful) to see a poll asking whether people preferred one wording over the other or don't care.

Probably would be best done only if there were a decision (from TB, or otherwise) that going forward with the button with SOME wording was likely to happen.